Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 11:46 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Boston police are launching a program that will call upon parents in high-crime neighborhoods to allow detectives into their homes, without a warrant, to search for guns in their children's bedrooms.

Boston police plan to search youths' homes for guns - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 12:12 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
So now the kids can hide their guns somewhere else in the house - that is, if they even watch the news or read the newspaper.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:55 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Kind of a misleading article.

No search warrant is needed. They are going to a house and asking permission, from a parent, to enter and search for guns and the parent says "Yes". They need no warrant. Only if the parent says "No". And the article pointed out that if the parent said "no" the officers would turn and leave.

Sounds like it's pretty above board to me.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:31 AM

83 posts, read 316,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Kind of a misleading article.

No search warrant is needed. They are going to a house and asking permission, from a parent, to enter and search for guns and the parent says "Yes". They need no warrant. Only if the parent says "No". And the article pointed out that if the parent said "no" the officers would turn and leave.

Sounds like it's pretty above board to me.
I wonder if the parent's are aware of the implication's of this. If a gun is found in the home and it is not registered or has been stolen, the parent will have just saddled their own child with a felony. Better to have the parent do a search, and then turn over the gun under an amnesty agreement.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:42 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanahogrider View Post
I wonder if the parent's are aware of the implication's of this. If a gun is found in the home and it is not registered or has been stolen, the parent will have just saddled their own child with a felony. Better to have the parent do a search, and then turn over the gun under an amnesty agreement.
Good point. But what I got out of the article was that the parents and the police kind of formed this union. Some of those folks are single women and their kid is out of control. So they've asked the police to come up with a plan. Could be wrong though.

Not registered is not a problem so much as theft. Or worse yet, a gun that has been used in a crime that the kid had nothing to do with because it happened before he got the gun.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:38 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Here's a wild-a$$ed idea. Why don't the parents toss their kid's rooms or, whole house if needed, to find anything that doesn't belong in their homes.

At this point of our son's life, we don't guarantee a total right to privacy in our home.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Ummm,do you think saying NO might be considered suspicious and then be grounds for a warrant?

Next time you are pulled over and the cop asks to look in the vehicle(he is already allowed to quickly scan the vehicle for any potential dangers to himself) try saying no....and see what transpires.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Yes I don't like the precedent it sets. Police can (and probably will) intimidate parents into searching rooms and what's to keep them from seizing the parents weapons? What if they find something else like drugs? What if the "child" is over 18 and is in legal possession of the weapon and (however unlikely) does not use it for criminal activity? This is also turning parents into the role of "narcs" on there own children.

I personally hope some one goes to each of these homes or sends out a newsletter, like a legal advisor, and specifically lets each of these people know exactly what the legal implication are for letting a police officer search your house.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:50 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Here's a wild-a$$ed idea. Why don't the parents toss their kid's rooms or, whole house if needed, to find anything that doesn't belong in their homes.

At this point of our son's life, we don't guarantee a total right to privacy in our home.
My son is 20 and I still don't grant him 100% privacy in his room. In other words its my house I pay the bills I'll go into any room I see fit. I don't because I trust him enough not to. But if I even had an inkling of something being wrong I would turn his room upside down.
Note he only visits these days as he has his own place. But no matter he never had a lock on his door, that would never have been allowed.
I don't see anything wrong with police searching with the parents permission. As for parents selling their kids out? No the kid sold their parents out by putting them in such a position.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:05 PM

51 posts, read 109,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
....... No the kid sold their parents out by putting them in such a position.
True. Interesting way of putting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies