Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Seems to me that there is a push to become Pure Conservatives or Pure Liberals. This seems to correspond to a movement towards irrationality, intolerance, black and white thinking, and braindead insults. The GOP provides a textbook example of this lately. The party that once nominated intelligent guys like Eisenhower, Nixon, GHW Bush, etc. now puts forward televangelists like Bachmann, Perry, etc. I have a hard time seeing Eisenhower trying to "pray away the gay."

Folks who listen to Fox News or MSNBC or other partisan propaganda outlets are both choosing to dumb themselves down. It is self-evident that in a large, complex country, no single ideology can speak for all people, and the inability to see that obvious fact, is tearing the country apart, and it is just plain stupid.
Well Said!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:38 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
i am center-left, but only watch fox news. i do like a challenge to my belief system.

i do believe idiots who just soak in whatever there ideological view is with cnn/msnbc/fox are stupid and cannot function without having there views reinforced (a continual pat on the back).

Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i am center-left, but only watch fox news. i do like a challenge to my belief system.

i do believe idiots who just soak in whatever there ideological view is with cnn/msnbc/fox are stupid and cannot function without having there views reinforced (a continual pat on the back).

Interesting approach. I suppose if you are inclined to not believe them, when you find yourself agreeing, that must mean something. I read The Economist for the same reason. I don't typically agree with everything they say, but it is well written and well reported, and I learn new things.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:51 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Interesting approach. I suppose if you are inclined to not believe them, when you find yourself agreeing, that must mean something. I read The Economist for the same reason. I don't typically agree with everything they say, but it is well written and well reported, and I learn new things.
i will also admit fox news is just better then the other ones. the hard news is center-right, the five is right, baier is center-right, oreilly center=right.

dont watch greta or hannity.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i will also admit fox news is just better then the other ones. the hard news is center-right, the five is right, baier is center-right, oreilly center=right.

dont watch greta or hannity.
NONE of those programs are Fox News. They are opinion shows. Oreilly states that all the time. Never see PMSNBC or CNN programs EVER state that.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I agree. Also, it seems as if the "moderate" is becoming an extinct species. You're either for us or against us. Bleh. I can see things from both points of view. The extremism is disgusting.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:58 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I agree. Also, it seems as if the "moderate" is becoming an extinct species. You're either for us or against us. Bleh. I can see things from both points of view. The extremism is disgusting.
"Extremists" created this country and have been at the nexus of most of it's change good or bad.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Yep, and it seems to me that the great successes of the 20th Century came from a mixed sociopoliticaleconomic model, where government AND industry AND religion AND the middle class worker could coexist without one group trying to destroy/fleece the others. Instead of Rush Limbaugh and Rachel Maddow we had Walter Cronkite.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
My issue is with the party loyalists that will do whatever they are told.

The Tea Party types, although I don't agree with some of their ideas at least were willing to stand up and carve out their platform.

So many other niches have become so politically entrenched that they don't even look out for their best interests. The unions in the US would be a classic example of this because they've been bent over bigtime by both the dems and reps over the last 20 years via NAFTA, off-shoring and so forth. The unions IMO need to stage a revolt kinda like the tea party did....but they won't.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My issue is with the party loyalists that will do whatever they are told.

The Tea Party types, although I don't agree with some of their ideas at least were willing to stand up and carve out their platform.

So many other niches have become so politically entrenched that they don't even look out for their best interests. The unions in the US would be a classic example of this because they've been bent over bigtime by both the dems and reps over the last 20 years via NAFTA, off-shoring and so forth. The unions IMO need to stage a revolt kinda like the tea party did....but they won't.
Good point. The Tea Party is definitely cutting their own path.

The thing that rings hollow with those folks, however, is that although they claimed to speak for fiscal conservatism, an idea with broad bipartisan support, it was tied to a hyperpartisan conservative perspective, and a very dogmatic, hostile approach. Balance the budget OUR WAY. I have concluded from their repeated stunts, that their hatred for Obama/liberals is the unifying driver, not fiscal moderation and problem solving. Thus, they are social conservative reactionaries masquerading as reformers. So, although they don't tow the line with their party, they are slaves to hyperpartisan conservative ideologies. The fact that they have done NOTHING PRODUCTIVE in several years in office shows the emptiness of pure partisan approaches for solving any problem of any value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies