Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM

304 posts, read 472,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
This is one of the sillier fibs put out by the desperate liberals in recent days, trying to justify the chaos they have created.

They imposed a law on everybody, saying you MUST sign up for this boondoggle, or else you will face heavy penalties and fines.

Then when people start signing up, they crow, "Look how popular it is!!!"

Next they'll tell us that slavery was "popular" in the pre-war South, because so many black people "participated" in it.

These left-wingnuts are really scraping the bottom of the barrel, trying to pretend they've done something people want.
That's what governments do; impose laws, seat belt laws, because people wouldn't buckle up on their own, even though that law has saved thousands of lives. Speed limit laws because people will not restrain themselves. Doctors , hospitals and insurance companies have not been able to restrain themselves.
Maybe half those calls were just curiosity seekers, many perhaps just to try and sabotage the effort but the truth is millions of people realize their need for insurance and in time this will be a very popular program and the insurance companies will still make more than enough profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
It was modeled after a plan the Heritage Foundation put forth in 1989.
Republicans didnt like it then, why would you expect us to now?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
This is one of the sillier fibs put out by the desperate liberals in recent days, trying to justify the chaos they have created.

They imposed a law on everybody, saying you MUST sign up for this boondoggle, or else you will face heavy penalties and fines.

Then when people start signing up, they crow, "Look how popular it is!!!"

Next they'll tell us that slavery was "popular" in the pre-war South, because so many black people "participated" in it.

These left-wingnuts are really scraping the bottom of the barrel, trying to pretend they've done something people want.
It's day two. Whos exactly is saying how popular "it" is?

It's is a law. Follow it, dont follow it. Its popularity is irrelevant.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Lol, you're purposely excluding two important bits of info.

1. The penalty for not having coverage for the first year is very low... much lower than the premiums a household will pay over that year.

2. The penalty doesn't go into effect until Jan 1st.

With those two known pieces of info, current enrollment numbers are a very good indicator of the ACA's popularity.
That doesnt mean people with insurance, isnt going there out of curiousity to compare premiums...

As I posted on another thread..

Figures they give me for the "silver plan"

My yearly premium is calculated to be $9961 for my family of 4..
I will receive $9461 in subsidies, meaning I pay $500 a year, or about $10 a month, per family member..

Or i could settle for the Bronze plan
For example, you could enroll in a Bronze plan for about $0 per year (which is 0% of your household income). By enrolling in a Bronze plan, you would receive $8,256 in subsidies, which would cover the entire amount of your Bronze premium. For most people, the Bronze plan represents the minimum level of coverage required under health reform. Although you would pay less in premiums by enrolling in a Bronze plan, you will face higher out-of-pocket costs than if you enrolled in a Silver plan.

YES ITS FREE!!!!

Well hell, they should create a program like this for houses, and cars, and food, and my gosh, even vacations...

Old 10-02-2013, 10:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
It will be a while before we know if Obamacare is really popular. I take the high number of hits and yes even the glitches as signs that the interest level of people in this country in learning more about Obamacare is very high. And that's a great sign, especially for those who currently don't have health insurance.

Hopefully people will understand, as they access healthcare.gov, that they have 6 months to actually sign up. And hopefully people will NOT sign up immediately, but take the time to learn about the plans available to them - the features, the costs, etc. - so that they can make the best decision they can for themselves ... even if that decision is to decline to participate.

People making their own choices - people educating themselves on the choices they have - people obtaining health insurance, some of them for the very first time .... it's no wonder the GOP hates it.
People had these very same options BEFORE Obamacare ever came into view. The difference is that these "choices" are the result of a government MANDATE. Why all of a sudden are you a champion of something that has existed on the free market for many decades??????????? Are you suggesting that you are proponent of the government mandating that buy something from the free market?

Disingenuousness in action folks! Anything to protect this President!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
People had these very same options BEFORE Obamacare ever came into view. The difference is that these "choices" are the result of a government MANDATE. Why all of a sudden are you a champion of something that has existed on the free market for many decades??????????? Are you suggesting that you are proponent of the government mandating that buy something from the free market?

Disingenuousness in action folks! Anything to protect this President!
Because health insurance was never really a free market in this country. If you want to buy something, can afford to do so, but are told "Nope, sorry, you can't," how is that a "free market?"

Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Many people did not have affordable options before Obamacare. 60-year-old male, existing heart condition. No way in hell could he have bought private insurance under those circumstances. Now he can.

Quote:
Disingenuousness in action folks!
You want to talk about disingenuous?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:11 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Lol, you're purposely excluding two important bits of info.

1. The penalty for not having coverage for the first year is very low... much lower than the premiums a household will pay over that year.

2. The penalty doesn't go into effect until Jan 1st.

With those two known pieces of info, current enrollment numbers are a very good indicator of the ACA's popularity.
If you are going by enrollment numbers, than it is a dismal failure:

— Kynect, Kentucky’s exchange 77,799 unique visitors and 2,902 applications had been completed. ~3.7%

— Colorado’s “Connect for Health” exchange 34,500 unique visitors and more than 1,300 accounts created~3%

— Get Covered Illinois reported 65,043 unique visitors and more than 1,100 applications by 3:30 p.m. ~1.7%

Conneticut- 13,000 visitors and 22 applications ~.02%

Apparently more than 96% of people aren't liking what they are seeing. And the people above haven't necessarily gotten signed up for coverage. they are just submitting applications so they can start the process. They still have to pick coverage and pay, and not all will want to pay.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Apparently more than 96% of people aren't liking what they are seeing.
I can only assume that you are a mind-reader, and that you know exactly what every person did on those sites. Are you counting visitors who already have insurance and were just checking out the site? Because I did that on healthcare.gov, plus a few state exchange sites. I'm counted as a unique visitor even though I had no intentions of buying a plan.

Embarrassing leaps of logic there.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 AM

624 posts, read 939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Republicans didnt like it then, why would you expect us to now?
I respect someone not liking it, but that's different from refusing to accept that there are any benefits or positives to it for anyone, different from scoffing at facts, different from spreading misinformation about it, different from saying nasty things to supporters of it, and different from refusing to accept it as the SCOTUS-upheld law of the land in ways that cause unnecessary harm and chaos.

I am a Liberal, and I've shook my head at some of the blatant over-statements and omissions I've been hearing from Democrats, but making over-statements and omissions in the other direction is hypocrisy, not constructive dissent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies