Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The markets would consider it a technical default and start selling off treasuries because you would have to break contracts to shut down the military spending and it is only a matter of time until the treasury can't redeem the Medicare and SS IOU's. The military personnel would continue to work because they would be thrown in the brig if they tried to go AWOL, but the military contractors and nations that have contracts would be defaulted on. Much of this depends on the language of the contracts, but the GOP isn't going to throw away their party over this.
No they wouldnt.. we've heard this same doom and gloom when Clinton shut down the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No they wouldnt.. we've heard this same doom and gloom when Clinton shut down the government.
I was talking about the debt ceiling, not the gov shutdown. A gov shutdown would just hurt the economy, but we can manage. Failing to raise the debt ceiling would be catastrophic because it would be the first time we have defaulted. The debt ceiling will be raised though unless the GOP decides to commit permanent political suicide and that is unlikely.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Why anyone would say the debt ceiling shouldn't be raised until we are able to increase revenue is lost on me. The fact is we need to have more and more people paying more money into the government (through more jobs and higher paying jobs) unless we cut spending and even still there's some spending that we still need to pay off that we can't cut (the wars.)

Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Why anyone would say the debt ceiling shouldn't be raised until we are able to increase revenue is lost on me. The fact is we need to have more and more people paying more money into the government (through more jobs and higher paying jobs) unless we cut spending and even still there's some spending that we still need to pay off that we can't cut (the wars.)
I don't think many people are really opposed to that, but we hit the ceiling on the 17th, so there isn't much time to negotiate and raising taxes takes more than 2 weeks to get through Congress.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't think many people are really opposed to that, but we hit the ceiling on the 17th, so there isn't much time to negotiate and raising taxes takes more than 2 weeks to get through Congress.
I'm not saying to raise taxes, I am just saying to increase the ceiling. Mainly because the revenue increase we need won't happen from taxing the few 1%-ers 80% will not cover what millions of (formerly) middle class Americans at anywhere from 20%-30% who are making not enough to be covered in those rates.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is no precedent for the U.S.defaulting on its bills.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The problem is they keep doing this. Running up to the debt ceiling and expecting more credit cards. We have to stop this. We have to figure out how to live within our means.
Thus far, the U.S. has managed to have only one year without debt. That was in 1835.

The majority of the current debt was acquired before Obama was elected in 2008.

Yet the GOP Misinformation Machine want the masses to believe it's all Obama's fault.

Huge, huge difference between "we have a problem" and "you created the problem" and it has nothing to do with the problem and all to do with politics.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
When GW Bush and his republican congress raised the debt ceiling 19 times did you complain?

During Bush Presidency, Current GOP Leaders Voted 19 Times To Increase Debt Limit By $4 Trillion | ThinkProgress
19 times? The detail does not match the headline or any other information on debt limits.

Reagan holds the record at 18 lifts.

What am I missing?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is no precedent for the U.S.defaulting on its bills.
, and despite Cruz's luny theatrics, there never will be.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Oh, brother. The naïvete is mind-numbing. In order for there to be an "obligation that is already incurred," then the obligation (i.e spending) must have already occurred. You don't owe a debt unless you obligated (i.e. spent) something in return for which you don't have!.

In simpler terms, the debt limit pays for spending because of deficit spending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The United States has a SPENDING PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop trying to gloss it over as if we're just being good money manager's and paying our bills like good Samaritans! We are spending money we don't have, which is why the DEBT CEILING is an issue!!!!
The U.S. had no debt ceiling prior to 1917. Today, the U.S. and Denmark are the only 2 nations with a debt ceiling. The U.S. has had only one year wen it was not in debt- 1835. The majority of the current debt was acquired before Obama was elected.

Every single president inherited debt and added to it. I do not mean this to rationalize continuing to do so. Rather this blame the Obama thing is getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies