Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
2 would only be true if everyone was equally healthy.

The larger the group the more expensive insurance becomes for the healthy and the cheaper it become for the sick. The cost is only lower for those who would use the services the most, people are being forced to get health care and pay higher premiums so that others can pay lower premiums. Money is being taken from one person by government mandate to pay for the health care of another person.
But that is exactly how insurance works, you hope to never have to file a claim because that is "good" that you did not get into a car accident or get cancer or get burglarized. If you have to file a claim because something bad happened to you like getting into a car accident even though you didn't drink and drive, or getting cancer even if you didn't smoke, or getting burglarized even though you live in a gated community, then money is taken from others to pay for your car accident or cancer or burglary. If you get into a car accident and the insurance pays the person you hit $300,000 or the insurance pays the hospital $300,000 for your cancer treatment or the insurance pays you $300,000 for your valuables and vandalized property, the money comes from others to help you. That is the exact definition of insurance, that money paid by the fortunate many who don't get into car accidents, don't have bad health and don't get burglarized, goes to pay for the unlucky few.

If everyone is healthy and guaranteed to live to 85 years old then die peacefully in their sleep then no one would buy insurance because no one would need health care. Any time there is no risk there is no need for insurance. It is only when there is risk that people pay for insurance. So only when there is the possibility of bad health would there be a market for insurance just as only when there is the possibility of car accidents that cause property damage or bodily injury is there a market for car insurance and so on for risk of burglary etc.

Last edited by fumbling; 10-03-2013 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
This is exactly how insurance works, you hope to never have to file a claim because that is "good" that you did not get into a car accident or get cancer or get burglarized. If you have to file a claim because something bad happened to you like getting into a car accident even though you didn't drink and drive, or getting cancer even if you didn't smoke, or getting burglarized even though you live in a gated community, then money is taken from others to pay for your car accident or cancer or burglary. If you get into a car accident and the insurance pays the person you hit $300,000 or the insurance pays the hospital $300,000 for your cancer treatment or the insurance pays you $300,000 for your valuables and vandalized property, the money comes from others to help you. That is the exact definition of insurance, that money paid by the fortunate healthy go to pay for the unlucky few.
Your analogy would work if race car drivers were included at the same rates as normal drivers because they couldn't get car insurance because they were race car drivers. Then everyone else would have to pay a higher premium to cover the additional risk taken on by the insurance company. That is how insurance works.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Why would we turn our heads away when we see the people, children, old folks hurting?? I say DO the right thing--take care of them!- and DO start by teaching them to help themeselves- BUT they have changed the playing field- basic education is crap- higher learning, unaffordable- and jobs are overseas,,, so this would not be such a huge problem -- if you fixed those 3 things first./

Old 10-03-2013, 08:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Your analogy would work if race car drivers were included at the same rates as normal drivers because they couldn't get car insurance because they were race car drivers. Then everyone else would have to pay a higher premium to cover the additional risk taken on by the insurance company. That is how insurance works.
That's why health premiums are lower for lower risk younger people and higher for higher risk middle age people, that is how insurance works. I imagine with all the roll bars, safety harnesses, helmets, collision testing and safety equipment Nascar and Indy drivers use while they are driving on the same track with fellow professionals, that the risk for racecar drivers is actually likely to be similar or even less than teenage drivers on the same road with texting SUV drivers and sleepy long distance truck drivers.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,277 times
I like Obamacare as a self-employed small business owner since it provides peace of mind knowing that I can buy COMPREHENSIVE health insurance and not have to worry about getting denied or dropped if something bad happens to our family.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 PM

234 posts, read 184,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It is the first significant move in more than a generation toward making healthcare affordable for more Americans who otherwise could not afford healthcare. It achieves this by converting human costs, which previously could be scurrilously ignored by those who adhere to antisocial, self-serving ideologies, into financial costs, so that we Americans can better understand the true state of health in our nation. With the human costs now converted into a metric that no honest and reasonable person can ignore, the structural injustice of the prior system is exposed, and it provides us a means by which we can measure our progress toward a more just healthcare system. There were more direct routes to a superior level of justice, but after more than a generation, it should be obvious to anyone who has a shred of integrity that there is enough egoistic avarice governing our society to preclude a comprehensive "one fell swoop" approach. And so that leaves the incremental approach to remedying the injustice, with ACA being a great first step.
Okay, you have memorized the pamphlet but really, why else do you support it? It will do none of the things that it is claimed it will do.

And this "...human costs now converted into a metric..."! That is the sort of fallback that comes from someone totally in awe of rhetorical thinking could believe contains any sense. A 'metric' that will grant us a 'just' HC system, it is accountant babble for lots of money tossed at something that only industries related to the thing will ever receive.

"Justice" always more excuses for 'justice' that are of total subjective qualities that use 'integrity' as a legitimate egoism to want something because it claims to do something somebodies have been convinced need to have done nonsensically about it.

Nice word salad but needs more ranch dressing.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Leeches believe it's more free sh*t from taxpayers.
Goinback, they think it's free and refuse to acknowledge that free stuff is paid for by confiscated money the government took from other working Americans. Why the hell would they care.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 PM

234 posts, read 184,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is a good illustration between the two parties right here. I know which one I would rather align myself with.

Same ole, same old from the right. This particular meme helped you lose the election.
Which is the stunningly inane verbiage saying nothing at all except that somehow it is noble to want to burden so many with a crappy HC system meant to absorb money and data into the hands of those who shouldn't have it? Well, modern liberals are all about feeling good.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
"Why do you Support Obamacare?"

1.No denial of insurance for pre-existing conditions.

2.No cap on lifetime benefits.

3.No cancellation due to catastrophic illness.

4.Keeping The Kid™ on plan until she is 26 (she is giving two years of her life to the Peace Corps and will need coverage when she returns).

5.Reduce my subsidy, paid in taxes and premiums, to the uninsured.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 PM

624 posts, read 939,580 times
I like Obamacare because I haven't been able to afford insurance until now, and have had to go to the ER for non-emergency illnesses because clinics owned by my local hospital wouldn't see me without insurance or cash-in-hand. My only other option was to arrive at a local free clinic at 6 am with no guarantee of being seen by the 4 o'clock closing time because of the huge crowd of people waiting with me and the shortage of health care providers on staff. Not fun when you are running a high fever.

Now I will be able to have a primary care physician and proper care for an illness that can render me unable to function without it. If I have a crisis, I will be able to go to the hospital without losing what little I have left after paying for my last stay, which took me years.

The ACA isn't perfect, by any means, but for me and many like me, life will be a lot better. It makes me feel pretty bad that my life and well being seem to be worth less than others according to many ACA opponents, or that they think I'm a leech or a loser for needing the subsidy the ACA provides.

I do a lot for my community, my neighbors, and my family. I paid taxes for decades before I lost my job and have not been able to get another one despite my diligent efforts. I give what I can afford to help other people in need, and if I don't have money I give my time. I don't waste what I have and don't spend money on luxuries. I sold favorite belongings I've had since my teens to pay off my credit card when I lost my job because I owed the money and I knew it was my responsibility to pay it back. I have been the most responsible and productive citizen I can be.

So if you see me on these forums snarking at people who say nasty things about Obamacare and those who need it, I make no excuses. I'm angry that you judge me and would rather I not have the same access to health care that you do.

Last edited by Slithytoves; 10-03-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies