Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yeah? Interesting. Because the way that the ACA was passed bears very little resemblance to the system that the founders established. Bribes, no negotiating, parlor tricks in the dead of night...

I'm pretty sure that the founders didn't intend for our representatives to pass a bill that none of them had read, the public didn't want, and with only a single party voting for it.

The next time you want to wax poetic about the Constitution and its authors, you might want to consider if your position would have actually been supported by them.
I guess you never read about how the Lincoln Administration used every tactic in the book -- promises of jobs, bribes, etc. to pass the 13th Amendment. You probably don't know that Medicare Part D was passed in a similar manner. None of that negates the force of law.

One can whine sour grapes and the ACA remains the law of the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Holy CRAP! You don't know?? SERIOUSLY???

The MAJORITY of Americans have ALWAYS been against the ACA. Since day one, the polls have consistently shown that more than 50% were against it. FROM. DAY. ONE!

You didn't know that? Unbelievable. Go look it up. I can't believe that one of the most hardcore lefties and most vocal Obama/Obamacare supporters on this forum has never checked it out.

Oh, wait... Yes I can.

Anyway, go check it out. Maybe you'll learn something today. For a change.
They support its core components - poll after poll shows that. The polls showing opposition to Obamacare are those that merely reflect the confusion that GOP has successfully sown to derail the legislation. Sooner or later, republicans are going to be exposed and there will be no way out. I think (hope) we're nearing that point. I hope that the tea party takes this to the debt ceiling deadline, causes a recession, gets people (and even Wall St) madder than hell at them, vote them out of office, and then sit back and watch Obamacare actually do what its supporters have said it would, which is to offer healthcare to those who can't get it and do so while controlling the growth in costs. Just a few more weeks.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:45 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
5 million out of 207 million eligible voters is 2.4%... that's a national referendum? 2.4%... What is not a national referendum? 1%?
First their weren't 207 million votes in the last election there were 126million and he won by over 5million.

Yes, the last Presidential election was a referendum on President Obama and his actions in office. M. Rmoney and Ryan and many conservatives said repeatedly these elections were the last chance to stop Obamacare.

“That’s the last train that’s leaving the station in regard to stopping this,” Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.) said. “This train is leaving the station, and there’s not going to be another opportunity. If Barack Obama is reelected to a second term, and we don’t replace him with the 45th president, then this law sinks in, it gets roots, and it ain’t going away".

"We're not deterred," Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said on ABC’s "This Week" on Sunday. "We think we can still repeal this law if we win this election. The American people will be the judge and jury on this law come November."

Rep. Bill Cassidy (R-La.), who is a doctor, said the law will, if implemented fully, cause problems that Congress will have to fix. But the upcoming elections could represent the last chance to score a political victory against the law.
“In terms of stopping it politically, of course, if President Obama is reelected, the taxes, the intrusion of government upon our lives, the loss of jobs at small businesses, will be the law of the land,” Cassidy said.

There are many, many, many, many more quotes from conservatives who said that this election was all about stoping Obamacare. They failed.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:46 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
One can whine sour grapes and the ACA remains the law of the land.
Exactly. And I find it ironic that the extremist, anarchist Congresspersons who shut-down much of the government claim to love this country ... but in every move they make they demonstrate how much they hate the American people, our system of government and our Constitution. Aaron Sorkin had it right, when he described this ilk in our society as ... the "American Taliban".

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-03-2013 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 10-03-2013, 07:48 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Correction, the majority of FOX viewers oppose and have always opposed Obamacare. However, the rest of America is pretty evenly split.
Another one. And this one was given the info and STILL failed to put forth any effort whatsoever to verify their info before posting.

I swear, the bots are getting dumber every day. Maybe it's just a defense mechanism... They're starting to realize on a conscious level that they've made a terrible, terrible mistake in electing/re-electing Obama, and they just can't bear to view any information at all that proves that yes, they did make that mistake. Twice. Hmm...

Old 10-03-2013, 07:48 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The libs on this board are screaming about the "government shutdown". In my opinion, this is a very good thing
I missed this earlier, but glad you said it. Couldn't agree more, podnuh - it's a very good thing. We need this shutdown to last for another few weeks. If it goes that far, trust me, that will answer your question "What more do we need?" And even if some people still can't quite grasp the answer, I'm guessing enough sensible people will by that point. Keep this shutdown going. No compromise. Republicans wanted this, so they can take credit for it if it proves wildly successful...and the blame if people realize that it's a disaster.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Here you guys go. Since you're too lazy, stupid or scared (I think you're scared, personally, but maybe you're just lazy and/or stupid) to check it out for yourself...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...cd/hcpolls.jpg

That's not "pretty evenly split", nor is it showing public support for the law.

Find reality BEFORE you engage in these discussions. Then you won't look so dumb.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-03-2013 at 08:09 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
National Referendum?
Sorry, OP, I'm afraid you'd have to make a few changes to that document that you claim to love so much before you can hold any sort of "National referendum."

Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Another one. And this one was given the info and STILL failed to put forth any effort whatsoever to verify their info before posting.

I swear, the bots are getting dumber every day. Maybe it's just a defense mechanism... They're starting to realize on a conscious level that they've made a terrible, terrible mistake in electing/re-electing Obama, and they just can't bear to view any information at all that proves that yes, they did make that mistake. Twice. Hmm...
Actually, I'm one of the most vocal opponents of Obamacare. However, I don't need to resort to lying or making up my own reality. The only place you are getting 60% from is from the FOX polls, everybody else is pretty split on Obamacare.

National (US) Poll - October 1, 2013 - American Voters Reject GOP Shu | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

"American voters oppose 72 - 22 percent Congress shutting down the federal government to block implementation of the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, according to a Quinnipiac University national poll released today.

American voters are divided on Obamacare, with 45 percent in favor and 47 percent opposed, but they are opposed 58 - 34 percent to Congress cutting off funding for the health care law to stop its implementation."

Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 AM

624 posts, read 939,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So why then do 59% of Americans OPPOSE OBAMACARE?
I've said this on other threads, a healthy portion of voters who oppose the ACA do so because it's not strong enough, with no public option. Reputable polls suggest this makes up 10-15% of opponents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies