Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 PM

14,856 posts, read 8,181,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
No.

The father is disowning his daughter because of her hateful choice.

The daughter is disowning her son because of who he is. Choice has nothing to do with it.

I don't really know of the circumstances, so I'm not going to comment directly. I will say this, if you know much about the "Kinsey scale". You'll realize that people in general, are far more bi-sexual than you would otherwise believe.

Homosexuality isn't as simple a problem as, you are either born straight or you are born gay. In almost all cases, humans are actually somewhere in-between. And thus, there is most certainly an element of decision that plays into it. In much the same way that certain people claim to be only attracted to Asian women, or black men, etc.

If you take for instance, men who were molested by a man in their youth. They are practically guaranteed to become homosexual. Thus the question, were those men born gay? Or did they choose to be gay? Or possibly, did others "force their hand"?

I assume that this woman, as well as most other parents. Aren't disowning their children in any sort of entirety(and she merely kicked him out of the house, she didn't disown him, unlike her own father). It is just a means to take a strong stand against what you perceive to be a choice, and a bad one. You basically say, "If you are choosing that lifestyle, I want nothing to do with you". But, "If you choose a more appropriate lifestyle, then there is no problem."

The point is, in many cases, homosexuality really is a choice. The difficult part is trying to understand when something is actually a choice, and when something is not. And thus, encouraging people to make good choices. But still accepting them if they truly have no choice.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,809,642 times
They have been putting up a lot of these "letters"... I think it is odd considering he SENT it to his daughter BUT he has possession of the letter? I find that a lot of these letters are written by people just to push their own agenda.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,482,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
No.

The father is disowning his daughter because of her hateful choice.

The daughter is disowning her son because of who he is. Choice has nothing to do with it.
^^^^^ this.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I don't really know of the circumstances, so I'm not going to comment directly. I will say this, if you know much about the "Kinsey scale". You'll realize that people in general, are far more bi-sexual than you would otherwise believe.

Homosexuality isn't as simple a problem as, you are either born straight or you are born gay. In almost all cases, humans are actually somewhere in-between. And thus, there is most certainly an element of decision that plays into it. In much the same way that certain people claim to be only attracted to Asian women, or black men, etc.

If you take for instance, men who were molested by a man in their youth. They are practically guaranteed to become homosexual. Thus the question, were those men born gay? Or did they choose to be gay? Or possibly, did others "force their hand"?

I assume that this woman, as well as most other parents. Aren't disowning their children in any sort of entirety(and she merely kicked him out of the house, she didn't disown him, unlike her own father). It is just a means to take a strong stand against what you perceive to be a choice, and a bad one. You basically say, "If you are choosing that lifestyle, I want nothing to do with you". But, "If you choose a more appropriate lifestyle, then there is no problem."

The point is, in many cases, homosexuality really is a choice. The difficult part is trying to understand when something is actually a choice, and when something is not. And thus, encouraging people to make good choices. But still accepting them if they truly have no choice.
Quote:
What causes Homosexuality/Heterosexuality/Bisexuality?
No one knows what causes heterosexuality, homosexuality, or bisexuality. Homosexuality was once thought to be the result of troubled family dynamics or faulty psychological development. Those assumptions are now understood to have been based on misinformation and prejudice. Currently there is a renewed interest in searching for biological etiologies for homosexuality. However, to date there are no replicated scientific studies supporting any specific biological etiology for homosexuality. Similarly, no specific psychosocial or family dynamic cause for homosexuality has been identified, including histories of childhood sexual abuse. Sexual abuse does not appear to be more prevalent in children who grow up to identify as gay, lesbian, or bisexual, than in children who identify as heterosexual.
LGBT-Sexual Orientation | psychiatry.org

Old 10-03-2013, 12:23 PM

2,947 posts, read 3,510,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What a screwed up family, posting that crap online. Shouldn't that be kept in the family?

Old 10-03-2013, 12:23 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,291,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They have been putting up a lot of these "letters"... I think it is odd considering he SENT it to his daughter BUT he has possession of the letter? I find that a lot of these letters are written by people just to push their own agenda.
I guess it's beyond the scope of possibility that he wrote the letter on his computer, printed it out, and kept a copy.
Are you a hundred?

Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,809,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I guess it's beyond the scope of possibility that he wrote the letter on his computer, printed it out, and kept a copy.
Are you a hundred?
Did you look at the letter? Are you blind?

Old 10-03-2013, 12:27 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,291,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Did you look at the letter? Are you blind?
Does that mean he couldn't make a copy? That's funny....I copy stuff at work all the time. Medicare cards, exit prescriptions, consults, social worker reports, etc.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM

14,856 posts, read 8,181,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Well, I don't really know what their article is basing their opinion on. One of the more recent studies on the matter is "Wilson and Widom 2009". Where it states that, homosexual men are about three times more likely to have been sexually abused as a child, than are straight men.

Does Physical Abuse, Sexual Abuse, or Neglect in Childhood Increase the Likelihood of Same-sex Sexual Relationships and Cohabitation? A Prospective 30-year Follow-up - Springer

This is an analysis from a man based on the study...

Sexual abuse and sexual orientation: A prospective study — Warren Throckmorton

The point of the matter is. I know plenty of homosexual people. And I know plenty of people who claimed to be homosexual in the past, and who are no longer homosexual(all of them being women).

I actually dated a girl who was straight, then declared she was a lesbian, then declared she was bi-sexual(this is when I got with her, long story), then declared she was actually straight again. She is now married to a man, and is practically repulsed of any discussion of homosexuality.

I know a supposedly gay man who has had sex with more women than I have(of course, I've only been with one woman, so I'm not typical I suppose). In my opinion from talking to him, he likes being homosexual because he is basically horny as hell, wants to have sex all the time, and is terrified of getting a girl pregnant. He doesn't like dealing with a lot of drama, and he claims that having sex with men is simply too easy and convenient to ever want to have sex with a woman.

He always says, "Imagine it like two guys hanging out playing video games, and then they decide they want to have sex. Well, once its over, its over, theres no cuddling or drama. You just go right back to playing video games."

I still have hope that someday he will grow up and be straight. He has this terrible almost fear of women. Supposedly his mother was a raving lunatic. I've never met her, but he almost never talks to his family. And he lives far away from home.

I think we need to be careful when we start discussing sexuality. Because it is not as simple as saying that some people are born straight, and some people are born gay. And if anyone on any side tries to claim that to be the case, they are fools. Every case has to be evaluated separately. And in the same way you might disapprove of someone dating a jobless loser. You should be able to disapprove of someone dating another homosexual. Without concern that its going to be posted all over the internet, and people are going to be branded as hate-mongers.

I simply do not care if this woman kicks her son out of the house, anymore than I care that the father decided to disown her because he claims she is hateful. That is their decision, and I see no point blasted it all over the internet. If you know these people, feel free to talk to them, and tell them who is wrong and why. But this discussion is not a discussion of individuals and their choices. It is a political matter, of people who are insecure, and need people to feel sorry for them all the time. While calling everyone else who disagrees with them, hateful. Its stupid.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, I don't really know what their article is basing their opinion on. One of the more recent studies on the matter is "Wilson and Widom 2009". Where it states that, homosexual men are about three times more likely to have been sexually abused as a child, than are straight men.

Does Physical Abuse, Sexual Abuse, or Neglect in Childhood Increase the Likelihood of Same-sex Sexual Relationships and Cohabitation? A Prospective 30-year Follow-up - Springer

This is an analysis from a man based on the study...

Sexual abuse and sexual orientation: A prospective study — Warren Throckmorton

The point of the matter is. I know plenty of homosexual people. And I know plenty of people who claimed to be homosexual in the past, and who are no longer homosexual(all of them being women).

I actually dated a girl who was straight, then declared she was a lesbian, then declared she was bi-sexual(this is when I got with her), then declared she was actually straight again. She is now married to a man, and is practically repulsed of any discussion of homosexuality.

I know a supposedly gay man who has had sex with more women than I have(of course, I've only been with one woman, so I'm not typical I suppose). In my opinion from talking to him, he likes be homosexual because he is basically horny as hell, wants to have sex all the time, and is terrified of getting a girl pregnant. He doesn't like dealing with a lot of drama, and he claims that having sex with men is simply too easy and convenient to ever want to have sex with a woman.

He always says, "Imagine it like two guys hanging out playing video games, and then they decide they want to have sex. Well, once its over, its over, theres no cuddling or drama. You just go right back to playing video games."

I still have hope that someday he will grow up and be straight. He has this terrible almost fear of women. Supposedly his mother was a raving lunatic. I've never met her, but he almost never talks to his family. And he lives far away from home.

I think we need to be careful when we start discussing sexuality. Because it is not as simple as saying that some people are born straight, and some people are born gay. And if anyone on any side tries to claim that to be the case, they are fools. Every case has to be evaluated separately. And in the same way you might disapprove of someone dating a jobless loser. You should be able to disapprove of someone dating another homosexual. Without concern that its going to be posted all over the internet, and people are going to be branded as hate-mongers.

I simply do not care if this woman kicks her son out of the house, anymore than I care that the father decided to disown her because he claims she is hateful. That is their decision, and I see no point blasted it all over the internet. If you know these people, feel free to talk to them, and tell them who is wrong and why. But this discussion is not a discussion of individuals and their choices. It is a political matter, of people who are insecure, and need people to feel sorry for them all the time. While calling everyone else who disagrees with them, hateful. Its stupid.
Or maybe gay males are more willing to report sexual abuse as children than heterosexual males.

Heterosexual makes may see it as a sign of weakness. Look at the way some heterosexual males have issues even hugging another male. We know there is a severe problem with under reporting of male on male sexual abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.