Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
WIC support for moms, babies threatened during shutdown - CBS News

This is disturbing. Why are so many people having babies they can't support?
The question is "why are we supporting them?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
That's frustrating me, this whole idea that because I oppose welfare I must oppose abortion and all the other goofy comments. Abortion has been legal since 1973 yet welfare has increased in that time I believe.
Does Medicaid pay for abortions? No! Does Medicaid pay for birth control? No! Hope Planned Parenthood comes through for you, if you're poor and pregnant and the GOP in your state hasn't curtailed their funding. Therefore, if you're really poor, your chances of being able to afford one is slim to none, Would you object if poor women attempted self-abortion? Coat Hangers-R-Us anybody? I just love people who decry paying for nominally cheap health care for poor people and then applaud the GOP for stopping any funding for birth control for Medicaid recipients. You reap what you sow and when some dirt poor, teen-age thug hijacks your SUV, thank the GOP for making sure that this precious "little Gift from God" saw the light of day! And while I'm at it, don't complain about the high cost of incarcerating said little thug either!

Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Does Medicaid pay for abortions? No! Does Medicaid pay for birth control? No! Hope Planned Parenthood comes through for you, if you're poor and pregnant and the GOP in your state hasn't curtailed their funding. Therefore, if you're really poor, your chances of being able to afford one is slim to none, Would you object if poor women attempted self-abortion? Coat Hangers-R-Us anybody? I just love people who decry paying for nominally cheap health care for poor people and then applaud the GOP for stopping any funding for birth control for Medicaid recipients. You reap what you sow and when some dirt poor, teen-age thug hijacks your SUV, thank the GOP for making sure that this precious "little Gift from God" saw the light of day! And while I'm at it, don't complain about the high cost of incarcerating said little thug either!
Medicaid does offer birth control and there are many programs offering free birth control. What does my mom (or any women since my mom didn't)attempting a hanger abortion have to do with this topic? she didn't and once again abortion has nothing to do with this since studies show these types of people aren't having abortions. If a poor teen thugs hijacks my vehicle I reserve the right to shoot them. After all it's not my fault his mom couldn't keep her legs closed and his probably absent father didn't keep it in his pants (and probably spawned more babies). If anything welfare taught them they deserve more.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:23 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Where did it state 53% of all babies are on WIC?
25%+/- are infants and 25% +/- are women. the article lumped all those recieving wic as one number.

United States Department of Agriculture - Home

Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

It is that simple.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,009 times
Complicated. I remember a time when, if you could not afford a child, you were discouraged from having a child. YES, I know that "illegitimate" pregnancy has been around since the beginning of time. (For that matter, I AM ONE). But, you have to admit that there is less motivation to be careful nowadays. And little or no motivation for being responsible or accountable. Women or men. A woman's RIGHT to have children that she & her partner/s cannot afford has become MY right to help support them. This is what I am against. Personally, I would be a whole lot more amenable to helping pay for birth control. That couldn't be as expensive. The moral issues have long since become blurred. It is no longer enough to say it is wrong, immoral, etc. No matter your religious views, your moral views, your economic status, etc., loose-er sex standards are a reality and something that affects all of us-one way or another. In MY house...a grandchild {who resides with us} who has been taught the cons of child-bearing too soon {no matter your marital status} as well as brought up in church has been started on birth control because she has shown an interest in sexual activity. This was NOT an easy decision OR free. Education alone is no longer the answer. She is on birth control because: (1) having a child at this point in her life would be a negative for she AND the child. (2) her having a child at this point in ALL of our lives would be a double-negative; for ALL of us, because at our age, we cannot afford to take care of HER possible child/children AND pay the taxes required to keep up the ones on welfare/WIC & whatever else that we are already helping with. Also we do not want her becoming dependent on taxpayers just because she can (3) Those of us who are against using abortion as a means of birth control have to be prepared to help pay/care for the resultant babies. And...so we are, in some way or another. As we are retired & our means of supporting/educating, etc., small children are greatly reduced, we have taken what we hope is the RESPNSIBLE route. The cost of birth control HAS TO BE LESS than the cost of a lifetime of care by taxpayers. We hope that others might realize this as well. Did not mean for this to be so rambling or lengthy.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Medicaid does offer birth control and there are many programs offering free birth control. What does my mom (or any women since my mom didn't)attempting a hanger abortion have to do with this topic? she didn't and once again abortion has nothing to do with this since studies show these types of people aren't having abortions. If a poor teen thugs hijacks my vehicle I reserve the right to shoot them. After all it's not my fault his mom couldn't keep her legs closed and his probably absent father didn't keep it in his pants (and probably spawned more babies). If anything welfare taught them they deserve more.
Medicaid does pay for some birth control and that varies by state, a woman would probably have better access in NY than Mississippi. But Medicaid does not pay for abortions! Not all pregnancies are planned, but middle class people have a lot more options in that regard! But the main reason poor women don't have more abortions is simply that they can't afford them.

"If a poor teen thugs hijacks my vehicle I reserve the right to shoot them". Well, on that point we agree! But I'd support them using RU486 paid for by Medicaid to limit that number.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
Don't expect to see a decrease in that percentage.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
WIC support for moms, babies threatened during shutdown - CBS News

This is disturbing. Why are so many people having babies they can't support?
And as they get older they move to SNAP and free breakfast/lunch/snack in the schools.

Pretty sad that 1/2 of the kids growing up today are doing it via welfare benefits.
What type of adults do you think they will turn into ?

And the numbers will only get worse over time.
The poor are 3x as likely to have kids than people with money.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Everyone is complaining about people having children they can't support. Let's look at this another way. How come people who CAN afford children, are not having more? Why aren't the middle and upper middle classes having 3, 4, 5, or even 6 kids?

A few generations ago it was easy to find families with 3 or more kids. Now it's very rare. Why are people with money only having 1 or 2 kids at the most?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
What ? Like 3 generations ago you'd see middle class families with 3-4-5 kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies