Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Lets summarize what the OP is now celebrating..

Lower wage employees, getting a few more hours a week of work, low enough so their health insurance can still be subsidized by the taxpayer, while pretending they represent everyone in the nation...

As if we should be celebrating a wage of $17K a year..

yaaa, go wal mart...
At full time, they become eligible for Walmart's subsidized group health insurance.

I DK how much of the cost of group healthcare is subsidized by Walmart. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How was Walmart able to do this when Papa Johns indicated they needed to close stores and cut work force 6 months ago because of Obama Care. Maybe Walmart doesn't know their business?
I'm not sure it's true that Papa Johns is closing stores and cutting its work force because of Obamacare.

According to Papa Johns founder and CEO John Schnatter they are doing just the opposite:
“Many in the media reported that I said Papa John’s is going to close stores and cut jobs because of Obamacare,” he wrote in a blog post. “I never said that. The fact is we are going to open over hundreds of stores this year and next and increase employment by over 5,000 jobs worldwide. And, we have no plans to cut team hours as a result of the Affordable Care Act.

John Schnatter: The Real Scoop on Papa John's and Obamacare

Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So I guess the AFA is a good thing. How was Walmart able to do this when Papa Johns indicated they needed to close stores and cut work force 6 months ago because of Obama Care. Maybe Walmart doesn't know their business?
Uh, you're comparing Papa Johns to Wal-Mart?

You would really learn a lot of you would just take the time to study the reality of business.

So.....how many cartons containing 24 pair of blue jeans do you think Papa Johns sells each month?

I ask that for a specific reason, namely something called "mark-up."

If you're running a grocery store, and your profits are 10%, then you're doing damn good.

B-b-b-b-but what about the 5000% percent profit margin? That's mythical nonsense spewed by Liberals.

Why do you think grocery stores started selling non-food items, like soap, shampoo, deodorant and such?

Because the profit margin on those off-sets the low margin on food items.....and if you don't get no profit, then you go out of business.....anyone shop at a Thriftway lately?

Uh-huh....yeah, that's how it works.

And now, why do you think Meijers and Krogers and Wal-Mart all sell everything including furniture?

Because the profit margin is higher, and if you don't get no profits, you don't stay in business.

Anyone seen Zenith lately? Seen the new 2013 AMC Gremlins?

The mistake K-Mart made was not expanding into retail grocery. Had they done so, they might still be around.

Anyway, it's rather stupid to say that just because one business might be able to afford Obamacare, it doesn't mean that all of them can. Like I said, all of my clients dumped health care or reorganized their business operations, because they couldn't afford it.

Soon, you will learn that nothing is "Free."

Economically....

Mircea

Old 10-03-2013, 05:00 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
So Disney is also turning people to full time, Clumberland Farms group is also moving people to full time and pepsico has announced that they will pick up the added expense of Healthcare if any for employees and retirees.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

You would really learn a lot of you would just take the time to study the reality of business.

So.....how many cartons containing 24 pair of blue jeans do you think Papa Johns sells each month?

If you're running a grocery store, and your profits are 10%, then you're doing damn good.

B-b-b-b-but what about the 5000% percent profit margin? That's mythical nonsense spewed by Liberals.

Why do you think grocery stores started selling non-food items, like soap, shampoo, deodorant and such?

Because the profit margin on those off-sets the low margin on food items.....and if you don't get no profit, then you go out of business.....anyone shop at a Thriftway lately?

And now, why do you think Meijers and Krogers and Wal-Mart all sell everything including furniture?

Because the profit margin is higher, and if you don't get no profits, you don't stay in business.

The mistake K-Mart made was not expanding into retail grocery. Had they done so, they might still be around.

Anyway, it's rather stupid to say that just because one business might be able to afford Obamacare, it doesn't mean that all of them can. Like I said, all of my clients dumped health care or reorganized their business operations, because they couldn't afford it.

Economically....

Mircea
I understand profit margins are different for a pizza or a box of cereal, what I don't understand is the prior posturing by some that Obama care would cause layoffs and closings for companies.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Wal-Mart converting 35,000 jobs to full-time -- Great News Indeed .. but wait -

Walmart only employs a mere 1% of America's total workforce - that would be roughly 2 million people .. hmm .. that would leave 1,965,000 still working part time.

um ... Spit in the ocean much?

Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Economically....

Mircea
I like reading your posts but this one is off, K-Mart is still around and has already expanded into grocery. Zenith is still on the market and Thriftway's are run by small independent grocers. You may have given your clients some bad information.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Wal Mart was getting slammed for not having enough people to maintain sales so it makes sense they hire more people.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:53 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Glad to see someone putting on full time employees.. most of them are cutting down now to part time and that is no lie.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I like reading your posts but this one is off, K-Mart is still around and has already expanded into grocery. Zenith is still on the market and Thriftway's are run by small independent grocers. You may have given your clients some bad information.
In NJ , K-Mart is closing stores and so is Pathmark and A&P food stores..cutting back again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies