Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:58 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,088,621 times

Advertisements

North Carolina religious leaders call for declassification of torture report | National Catholic Reporter

Quote:
More than 190 religious leaders from North Carolina, including the Catholic
bishop of Raleigh, are asking one of their U.S. senators to endorse the
declassification of a report on the CIA's use of torture.

The North Carolina Council of Churches (NCCC) has written a letter to Republican Sen.
Richard Burr, asking him to support the release of a 6,000-page report by the
Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, of which he is a member, on detention
and torture tactics used by the CIA since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
The Aug. 27 letter, release to the press last week, was signed by Catholic
Bishop Michael Burbidge of Raleigh as well as hundreds of other clergy members,
including Christian, Jewish and Muslim leaders.
Learn more about this by watching this video.

Dr. Christina Cowger - The Spider's Web and the Net of Accountability

Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 AM

This is a subject of which I feel VERY strongly about. My wife and I moved to North Carolina back in 2004 because we appreciate the innate sensibility in the State to adhere to God's teachings. Certainly our Lord would never condone the torture of any of his children and for that reason we can not stand idly by and allow it to continue either.

We Americans are a proud and honorable people who refuse to turn in to monsters to fight the evils which threaten our way of life. If we allow ourselves to continue down this path in to the very heart of darkness we may never be able to find our great national character ever again.

I'd like to leave you with a quote which I believe sums up the situation perfectly:

Someday I will understand Auschwitz. This was a brave statement but innocently absurd. No one will ever understand Auschwitz. What I might have set down with more accuracy would have been: Someday I will write about Sophie's life and death, and thereby help demonstrate how absolute evil is never extinguished from the world. Auschwitz itself remains inexplicable. The most profound statement yet made about Auschwitz was not a statement at all, but a response.

The query: "At Auschwitz, tell me, where was God?"

And the answer: "Where was man?"

- William Styron, Sophie's Choice

Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,793 times
"I'd like to leave you with a quote which I believe sums up the situation perfectly"

I do not think comparing the systematic extermination of the Jewish People sums up with dribbling water down the nasel passage of a islamic extremist terrorist.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
Nothing from the Council of Churches tweaks my interest. they jumped the shark a long time ago.

And agree comparing intense interrogation to which our own people have been subjected before they can even do the interrogations, that have doctors at the stand by in the event something goes wrong, and intended to get information and save further lives to the genocide prior to and during WWII is wrong.

JMO

Old 10-04-2013, 02:01 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
This is a subject of which I feel VERY strongly about. My wife and I moved to North Carolina back in 2004 because we appreciate the innate sensibility in the State to adhere to God's teachings.

I suppose that makes sense, considering the anti education platform pushed by the state GOP.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Default None dare call it Torture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I do not think comparing the systematic extermination of the Jewish People sums up with dribbling water down the nasel passage of a islamic extremist terrorist.
So you condone the use of torture by the United States?

Quote:
Waterboarding is a form of torture in which water is poured over a cloth covering the face and breathing passages of an immobilized captive, causing the individual to experience the sensation of drowning. Waterboarding can cause extreme pain, dry drowning, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation, other physical injuries including broken bones due to struggling against restraints, lasting psychological damage, and death. Adverse physical consequences can manifest themselves months after the event, while psychological effects can last for years. The term water board torture appears in press reports as early as 1976. The captive's face is usually covered with cloth or some other thin material, and the subject is immobilized on his/her back. Interrogators pour water onto the face over the breathing passages, causing an almost immediate gag reflex and creating the sensation for the captive that he is drowning.
There's more:

Quote:
Chase J. Nielsen, one of the U.S. airmen who flew in the Doolittle raid following the attack on Pearl Harbor, was subjected to waterboarding by his Japanese captors. At their trial for war crimes following the war, he testified "Well, I was put on my back on the floor with my arms and legs stretched out, one guard holding each limb. The towel was wrapped around my face and put across my face and water poured on. They poured water on this towel until I was almost unconscious from strangulation, then they would let up until I'd get my breath, then they'd start over again... I felt more or less like I was drowning, just gasping between life and death." The United States hanged Japanese soldiers for waterboarding American prisoners of war.
Waterboarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-04-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
So you condone the use of torture by the United States?

There's more:

Waterboarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Waterboarding. Yes. 100% It works. I'm sure the Japanese had a medical doctor there for Doolittle.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Waterboarding. Yes. 100% It works. I'm sure the Japanese had a medical doctor there for Doolittle.
Doctors? Oh yes, you mean these doctors.

Doctors of the Dark Side Trailer - a Documentary Film by Martha Davis - YouTube

Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Is that supposed to change minds? I find it hilarious that there are people who take up this cause. You not only want to help terrorist who would cut your head off with a hatchet, you've successfully stopped a program that saves American lives.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
On Sept. 11, 2001, Marine Lt. Col. Stuart Couch's friend died co-piloting the second plane to hit the World Trade Center. Soon after, Couch became one of the first military prosecutors assigned to the U.S. military base at Guantánamo Bay to prosecute men alleged to have carried out the terrorist plot. He ultimately would refuse to prosecute one detainee: Mohamedou Ould Slahi. "It became clear that what had been done to Slahi amounted to torture," Couch says. "Specifically, he had been subjected to a mock execution. He had sensory deprivation. He had environmental manipulation, that is, cell's too cold or the cell is too hot ... He was presented with a ruse that the United States had taken custody of his mother and his brother and that they were being brought to Guantánamo." Couch says he concluded Slahi's treatment amounted to illegal torture. "I came to the conclusion we had knowingly set him up for mental suffering in order for him to provide information," Couch said. "We might very well have a significant problem with the body of evidence that we were able to present as to his guilt."

Torture at Guantánamo: Lt. Col. Stuart Couch On His Refusal to Prosecute Abused Prisoner - YouTube

Just imagine what else we're going to find out when the torture report is declassified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies