Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:52 AM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a very interesting article by David Sirota -Political journalist, best-selling author and syndicated newspaper columnist

"It's outrageous that President Obama gets driven around in a limo! It's outrageous that John McCain wore expensive shoes! It's outrageous that Michael Phelps smoked some weed! Welcome, as I say in my newest newspaper column, to a nation now addicted to fake outrage -- a nation that feeds on made-up controversies about total non-issues. And if we don't break our dependency, we're really not going to solve the huge challenges we desperately need to solve."

You can read the whole article here

David Sirota: Our Addiction to Fake Outrage

Do you agree with the author, do you believe we are addicted to fake outrage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 03:03 AM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times
The media always loves to create drama for the sake of creating drama. That's why I don't even watch the news anymore. Anything they can blow way out of proportion they always do especially weather related topics. I live in Southern California and whenever there is any type of rain headed our way the local media goes on "Storm watch" and they make it seem as though a hurricane was headed our way when the reality is some light showers. I'll never forget the huge deal they made when they had to close the 405 freeway for a night and they were making such a huge deal about it, going so far as to call it "Carmageddon" and they made it seem like the world was going to end because of a freeway closure.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
.....Do you agree with the author, do you believe we are addicted to fake outrage?
Absolutely!!!

And, no, I do not blame the media...that's just BS people invoke to shrug off responsibility for anything and everything. If the media is supposedly serving up sensationalized incidents to incite totally bogus outrage, it is because this is what a huge chunk of the public wants.

Outrage allows people to ride an emotional high of self-righteousness. And there is nothing so characteristic of the changes in American society in the past thirty years than the constant puking stream of self-righteousness that has destroyed all intelligent discourse.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:08 AM

624 posts, read 939,110 times
I do, and that high of self-righteousness kevzu mentions becomes SO addictive that not only can't we keep our responses to big issues in proportion, but more and more of us seek venues of controversy like Internet forums, news site comment sections, and arguably even Facebook to supply us with constant streams of conflict once we've seen all the news there is to see. It seems to become a lifestyle, as evidenced by the number of middle fingers you get on our roads for minor infractions these days, among other things. I can only imagine the toll it is taking on relationships, marriages, and parenting.

I have seen changes in my own behavior, luckily only online, to the stimuli I get on CDF, for example. I try to limit my knee-jerk offense to issues about which I feel genuine anger, and try to test my impulses here against a "reasonable person standard" and what genuinely insults my sense of justice, but the temptation is great to extend it to other topics after only a couple of weeks. I have to keep telling myself I'm a better person than that, and I can see how that self-talk can slip into "I'm a better person than THEM". If this can happen to me and I'm actively trying to be self-aware, I can only imagine how it affects people who are less insightful and self-regulating.

So In summary, I think the news and entertainment media may have started this ugliness, but it has grown to the proportions we're seeing now because of the Internet and our ability to respond publicly and more or less anonymously to any topic that triggers a contrary thought. It's the same dynamic that turns protesters into rioters: stimulus>interaction>escalation.

A follow-up question: What do you think is the answer, especially for people who genuinely want to be informed?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 AM

624 posts, read 939,110 times
I should add that I'm not blaming the Internet itself for its role in the outrage problem. It gives us a voice and a venue, but it's our own fault if we abuse it.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM

641 posts, read 240,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
I do, and that high of self-righteousness kevzu mentions becomes SO addictive that not only can't we keep our responses to big issues in proportion, but more and more of us seek venues of controversy like Internet forums, news site comment sections, and arguably even Facebook to supply us with constant streams of conflict once we've seen all the news there is to see. It seems to become a lifestyle, as evidenced by the number of middle fingers you get on our roads for minor infractions these days, among other things. I can only imagine the toll it is taking on relationships, marriages, and parenting.

I have seen changes in my own behavior, luckily only online, to the stimuli I get on CDF, for example. I try to limit my knee-jerk offense to issues about which I feel genuine anger, and try to test my impulses here against a "reasonable person standard" and what genuinely insults my sense of justice, but the temptation is great to extend it to other topics after only a couple of weeks. I have to keep telling myself I'm a better person than that, and I can see how that self-talk can slip into "I'm a better person than THEM". If this can happen to me and I'm actively trying to be self-aware, I can only imagine how it affects people who are less insightful and self-regulating.

So In summary, I think the news and entertainment media may have started this ugliness, but it has grown to the proportions we're seeing now because of the Internet and our ability to respond publicly and more or less anonymously to any topic that triggers a contrary thought. It's the same dynamic that turns protesters into rioters: stimulus>interaction>escalation.

A follow-up question: What do you think is the answer, especially for people who genuinely want to be informed?
Perhaps we have to stop the 24 hour news stations, who are trying to fill in every minute with some story that catches our interests. I am always amazed at how many reports are based on "while we don't know the whole story, this is what possibly could be going on. I'd rather get "just the facts", and not "well, in this scenario, this is possible...etc... News is supposed to inform, not confuse. I think that's why I enjoy BBC news, Free Speech TV news shows, and Al Jazerra news. I even learn more from "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Show" than regular news feeds!

Old 10-05-2013, 04:11 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've been reading a very interesting article by David Sirota -Political journalist, best-selling author and syndicated newspaper columnist

"It's outrageous that President Obama gets driven around in a limo! It's outrageous that John McCain wore expensive shoes! It's outrageous that Michael Phelps smoked some weed! Welcome, as I say in my newest newspaper column, to a nation now addicted to fake outrage -- a nation that feeds on made-up controversies about total non-issues. And if we don't break our dependency, we're really not going to solve the huge challenges we desperately need to solve."

You can read the whole article here

David Sirota: Our Addiction to Fake Outrage

Do you agree with the author, do you believe we are addicted to fake outrage?
I think it is addicting to those who don't want to invest time in finding quality sources of fiction and nonfiction.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:57 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I don't think it's faked. I think people sincerely get pissed off at things. Journalists go into that field because they are more prone to this outrage. It is genuine.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:51 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I agree that media has a lot to do with pushing all the right buttons to stir up our outrage, especially on the internet. There's a reason headlines on stories are provocative. They are designed to provoke our feelings of outrage for whatever actions someone else has done or is doing.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 AM

334 posts, read 716,179 times
Just because some self-righteous jerk is "offended" doesn't make them right. Here in New Jersey you can't turn a corner without bumping into some twit anxious to be "offended".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies