Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Without Obamacare, Henderson could have received health insurance for as little as $44.72 on eHealthInsurance.com, according to Michael F. Cannon of the Cato Institute.
“I can’t yet say whether Chad’s $175 premium is the lowest-cost plan available to him through the Obamacare Exchange,” Cannon said. “[I’m in the process of researching that, and it’ll probably take a few hours.] But it’s probably close.”

Washington Examiner
InsureBlog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Without Obamacare, Henderson could have received health insurance for as little as $44.72 on eHealthInsurance.com, according to Michael F. Cannon of the Cato Institute.
“I can’t yet say whether Chad’s $175 premium is the lowest-cost plan available to him through the Obamacare Exchange,” Cannon said. “[I’m in the process of researching that, and it’ll probably take a few hours.] But it’s probably close.”

Washington Examiner
InsureBlog
Why post before chad has researched further? I cant wait to hear back from Chad.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Why post before chad has researched further? I cant wait to hear back from Chad.

Um, that wasn't Chad researching there. As far as we know Chad signed up and stopped looking, and I have no idea how often you get to change your plan - it's usually once a year I think.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
I thought you would be all over this. You are the one who complains that you make almost nothing, have no savings, and refuse to do any work to change your situtation in almost every thread.

What gets me is that they only reported on the preliminary information and never updated the story. Like it stopped helping their cause when this person actually got done. Seems disingenuous to me.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Most people who sign up have zero idea what their health insurance cost in the private market... they just think that the government is going to give them a good price (it depends, if they get a subsidy then yes.... if they don't get a subsidy then NO)...

Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Here's some more info on Chad's story:

Chad Henderson was able to sign up for healthcare! Yea! He's been interviewed by reporters across the country who were desperate to find anyone who had enrolled.
Enroll America passed his info on to reporters.

He's 21. Makes $11,500 per year. His premiums are $175 a month, and he qualifies for no subsidies.

He previously could have gotten insurance for $45 a month, so Obamacare is 300% more expensive than his previous option.

But Chad, conveniently, is an Obama Organizing for America Volunteer, so he openly admits he will pay 300% more to help Obama and his health care law succeed.

This is the big healthcare success story of the week. One Obama volunteer who is paying 300% more for healthcare.

Obamacare Increases Man's Premiums 300%, Supporters Call It a Success Story | Cato @ Liberty

Old 10-04-2013, 09:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:

Washington Examiner
InsureBlog
Many people do not understand insurance and think all healthcare insurance is alike.

Pre ACA, millions obtained a false sense of security by purchasing "sub prime" healthcare policies.
High deductibles, low annual/lifetimes caps and endless exclusions were common. Some employers, especially retail, offered sub prime group healthcare policies to their employees and tooted their horn that they offered insurance benefits to their employees. Many of these policies were not worth the paper they were printed on.

ACA created a minimum benchmark for healthcare insurance.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Here's some more info on Chad's story:

Chad Henderson was able to sign up for healthcare! Yea! He's been interviewed by reporters across the country who were desperate to find anyone who had enrolled.
Enroll America passed his info on to reporters.

He's 21. Makes $11,500 per year. His premiums are $175 a month, and he qualifies for no subsidies.

He previously could have gotten insurance for $45 a month, so Obamacare is 300% more expensive than his previous option.

But Chad, conveniently, is an Obama Organizing for America Volunteer, so he openly admits he will pay 300% more to help Obama and his health care law succeed.

This is the big healthcare success story of the week. One Obama volunteer who is paying 300% more for healthcare.

Obamacare Increases Man's Premiums 300%, Supporters Call It a Success Story | Cato @ Liberty
More information.

Meet Chad Henderson, the Obamacare enrollee tons of reporters are calling

Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:

Washington Examiner
InsureBlog
$44.72, with a $10,000 deductible.

Just because the Cato Institute found a cheap insurance plan doesn't mean it's comparable with the plan that Mr Henderson decided to purchase.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Most people who sign up have zero idea what their health insurance cost in the private market... they just think that the government is going to give them a good price (it depends, if they get a subsidy then yes.... if they don't get a subsidy then NO)...
If you are able to make that distinction, why wouldn't others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies