Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 09:22 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times

Advertisements

What works? The elites love it since they have jobs, money to live there but what about the average Joe? Which of those states don't have a massive pension debt problem? Which of those states are not sucking up billions from the feds to balance their budgets? Which of those states have not seen massive population shifts to the South, West? They are great places for the poor and the rich, but what about the middle? Take away union jobs and the middle is slammed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
The answer to the question posed in this thread was answered in the first couple pages.

The rest of the thread is leftist rationalization and excuses.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The answer to the question posed in this thread was answered in the first couple pages.

The rest of the thread is leftist rationalization and excuses.
And what answer do you think that is?

Old 10-05-2013, 10:52 AM

215 posts, read 297,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I'd put forward a cultural competence model. It has racial elements, but that is not the point.

If one considers competence to include some combination of the following for the majority of its people: value education and invest in it; solid work ethic-get up every day and go to work, pay taxes, etc.; give to your community of your time, money,etc.-don't whine, give of yourself; invest in your children; show some impulse control-don't get pregnant at 14 and have 6 kids with three partners or become drug addict; don't run around in gangs and commit crimes; learn about and respect others' beliefs-show some tolerance and maturity befitting a multicultural society.

Basically, from my observations the rank order of the most "generically competent" subcultures in the USA, they would be something like this:
1. E. Asian immigrants
2. Jewish Americans
3. S. Asian (E. Indian) immigrants
4. Germanic/Scandinavian/English immigrants
5. Irish/Italian/Slavic immigrants
6. Scots Irish immigrants
7. Mexican immigrants
8. Native Americans
9. African Americans

New England and Minnesota are successful because they were founded by group 4, and created great educational and economic systems that attracted knowledge workers from all groups, but especially groups 1-5. The Southwest and South have higher proportions of groups 6-9, who tended to support a more agrarian economy. Even today, much of the work in the Southwest attracts essentially peasant laborers, and deemphasizes education and personal improvement to the same degree as New England.

None of this needs to be racial. Any group can choose to set high standards of achievement for themselves and prove generally competent by developing their knowledge and strength of character. But it needs both a personal and a societal commitment to make the investments that create a solid, prosperous and relatively safe region like New England, or the Upper Midwest.
English immigrants had the greatest advantage over the other groups you listed here because of what? That's right, the ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Once other immigrants learned English, they were able to move upward in socio-economic status.

Drugs and a loosening of morality in the "English Immigrant" community in the 1970s also furthered the decline of the socio-economic status of the descendants of the English immigrants. One good drug habit and zero incentive to work and manage a business or do well in school could easily wipe out the family fortune. Plus, the well-off didn't serve in Vietnam, and that put you far ahead of the other descendants of immigrants whose children were drafted to war.

Finally, the English language is not as important in the STEM fields, so the other groups you listed, the Indians and Asians, arrived in the U.S. at a time when their technology skills were valued more than their language skills.

Jewish immigrants formed an alliance of sorts with the other ethnic groups your listed, especially blacks, supporting and encouraging them in their civil rights legal battles.

Liberal white policies in education, law, and social welfare programs have kept the bottom ethnic groups from achieving upward mobility by expecting them to improve their English language and literacy rates and meet standards at school and work.

Once Indians and Asians start to break the glass ceiling and accrue more wealth and power in the c-suites like whites, I doubt seriously they and their children will continue to put so much focus on winning spelling and studying for hours for a high SAT score. Their children are destined to become as lazy as the descendants of other immigrants.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:53 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
.....Because New England is close to Canada. It's successful by osmosis.

Bwahahaha. Good one!

(But do you really have to share your weather with us? Those cold fronts all sweeping down from the north .... brrrrrr )

Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Bwahahaha. Good one!

(But do you really have to share your weather with us? Those cold fronts all sweeping down from the north .... brrrrrr )
Consider it "Toughening you up".

Old 10-05-2013, 11:01 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
I will.

The bikers deliberately swarmed the man's SUV, cut in front of him to stop him and then started attacking the vehicle. They were doing stunts on the highway for fun. The man's wife and child were in the car with him.

He drove off in an understandable panic. That's when the biker was hurt.

The rest of the gang caught him anyway when his tires blew, and beat him up.

I'm sorry the biker is injured, but that's what happens when you play Mad Max in New York City.

Post fail.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:31 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
When did what white folks care about become a care of mine? I am not attempting to get people to care. I am not on an emotional crusade to win anything. I am just hear to put things in their proper context and perspective. Actions produces reactions. Racism has not been inconsequential. Everything has evolved into what it is and nothing that IS can be explained without its evolution.

To me "acting white" is looking down upon black people as inferior, being violent towards blacks, not wanting to be around blacks, not wanting hire blacks, thinking blacks are criminals etc....calling each other using the N word. Rarely do I associate "acting white" with acting intelligent and civilized....at least not in terms of how white society had acted towards and treated us. Maybe the real problem is that we have become to much like whites via osmosis and hence devalue who we really are like whites have hisstorically.
by acting white I mean working hard, studying, and putting emphasize on education and success..in high school i saw clock black friend being ragged on for studying, and getting ahead by the would be gang banger of the class room, saying he was not "black enough" or "being an uncle tom"

Also wanting to harm blacks? are you kidding me! the idea that white people akin the KKK is total BS the number one killer of black men, is other black men..

Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
I have no idea but I think it's funny you're mentioning the crime rate.

Vermont, NH and Maine have virtually no gun laws which is more of a "conservative" approach than "liberal".

All 3 states also have a very small percentage of minority groups. We do have a lot of refugees from Africa where I live (NH's capital) but they are hard working and not at all like a lot of "African Americans" from other parts of the country. They are not gang bangers. I feel safe up here. But I am a Mass transplant and I can't say the same about MA. It is a cesspool. Illegal alien paradise and you couldn't pay me to move back there.

Also NH has a very small government. We have 400 reps and they are not full-time employees. They get paid very little to represent the people in the state which I think is a great idea. I feel that the NH government is somewhat Libertarian. The same can't be said about Massachusetts' nanny state.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
English immigrants had the greatest advantage over the other groups you listed here because of what? That's right, the ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Once other immigrants learned English, they were able to move upward in socio-economic status.

Drugs and a loosening of morality in the "English Immigrant" community in the 1970s also furthered the decline of the socio-economic status of the descendants of the English immigrants. One good drug habit and zero incentive to work and manage a business or do well in school could easily wipe out the family fortune. Plus, the well-off didn't serve in Vietnam, and that put you far ahead of the other descendants of immigrants whose children were drafted to war.

Finally, the English language is not as important in the STEM fields, so the other groups you listed, the Indians and Asians, arrived in the U.S. at a time when their technology skills were valued more than their language skills.

Jewish immigrants formed an alliance of sorts with the other ethnic groups your listed, especially blacks, supporting and encouraging them in their civil rights legal battles.

Liberal white policies in education, law, and social welfare programs have kept the bottom ethnic groups from achieving upward mobility by expecting them to improve their English language and literacy rates and meet standards at school and work.

Once Indians and Asians start to break the glass ceiling and accrue more wealth and power in the c-suites like whites, I doubt seriously they and their children will continue to put so much focus on winning spelling and studying for hours for a high SAT score. Their children are destined to become as lazy as the descendants of other immigrants.
I wonder why they did that? the fact they do it for votes? or maybe to rip America apart....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies