Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:19 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,912 times

Advertisements

What does the community think about this statement by Warren Buffet?

Winds of Change.... Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise. In three days, most people in The United States of America will have this message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

*Congressional Reform Act of 2013 1. No Tenure / No Pension. This is needed

A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13.

The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Don't you think it's time?

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:23 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Ah, the classics!

This is word-for-word the same 'Warren Buffet' email that was passed around in 2012 and 2011.

Just google up "Warren Buffet congressional reform act" for the info on this bogus chain email.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:28 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Seriously?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times
the only problem with the solution is that it needs the Congress to come to fruition.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dane_in_la View Post
seriously?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:39 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,354 times
When I read the title: Something we can all agree on. I assumed it was going to be something like "The Sun is Hot" or "Water is wet" because afterall this is city data, these are the only two statements I can think of that people wouldn't argue.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Ok.... pretty sure that one of the world's richest and most well-connected investors/CEOs does not bank his strategy on 1990s-style email chains ("forward this on, or you'll have bad luck for five years!").

But that aside, I do agree in general that Congress should only get CPI or less raises, that they should be subject to the same kind of healthcare and retirement as their constituents, and that there should be reasonable term limits.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
When I read the title: Something we can all agree on. I assumed it was going to be something like "The Sun is Hot" or "Water is wet" because afterall this is city data, these are the only two statements I can think of that people wouldn't argue.
Not even...

"Hey, I saw the sun up all night when I was in Alaska, and it was COLD!"

"Well, water isn't wet when it's frozen solid..."

Old 10-04-2013, 02:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
What did George Carlin have to say about the budget impasse?

Old 10-04-2013, 02:26 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
What does the community think about this statement by Warren Buffet?

Winds of Change.... Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise. In three days, most people in The United States of America will have this message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

*Congressional Reform Act of 2013 1. No Tenure / No Pension. This is needed

A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13.

The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Don't you think it's time?

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!
Great post OP. A link for this?
On a side note, I respect Mr Buffet, live in his hometown. He recently purchased the company I work for. Lotta stressed managers and gradually lowering motivation among the workforce since then. Record profits, though. High paying job and everybody complains, nobody leaves.
He's a smart dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies