Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times

Advertisements

Interestingly, the US has a relatively low rate of schizophrenia compared to the rest of the world.

Epidemiology of schizophrenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course schizophrenia is just one type of mental illness, but it seems to account for a lot of violent criminal behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
We really need to get our rulers on the ball at addressing mental illness. And anyone who doesn't think they should head this up is craaaazzzeeee

Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
I don't believe it is a big problem .

Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
You are obviously crazy to say such a thing

Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
There is a common thread running through almost all of the violent headlines these days. It's not guns, violent media or whatever... the problem is the perpetrator was mentally ill.

So when are we gonna start dealing with the problem rather than the results of the problem?!
I totally agree -- the one thing that RARELY gets discussed after a shooting is the mental state of the shooter. People in their "right" mind don't do things like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Also, often they are on some mind altering drugs.

Now that one should be easy to answer.
Yep.....but BigPharma is also a BigDonor. THAT is a huge problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Unfortunately as we can see from a few posters here, many people are completely uneducated on what mental illness is. Psychiatry is just another branch of medicine that deals w the mind. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in illnesses that affect the brain, but uneducated fools portray it as everything that it isnt. We only ignore it at our own peril. It can affect anyone of any age, race, socioeconomic status etc so I think some people especially macho types feel threatened by the idea they could become ill no matter how tough they pretend to be
I agree, we do ignore it at our own peril. But honestly, some of the "treatments" -- i.e. psychiatric drugs -- are at the root of some of our problems.

I'm a big believer in a "whole person" approach, and examining the different parts to a person's existence: past, diet, genetics, and current environment. I think there's a lot of things out there that are influencing mental health that we haven't even made a connection to yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
pch13 IS CORRECT! Years ago states started closing down and/or downsizing their institutions. This after outcries of "inhumane warehousing," etc. The institutes remaining are very small & with very few assigned beds. Folks that REALLY need help are IN for a few days, rapidly tranquilized, then quasi-stabilized and sent back OUT with an appointment at their local outpatient mental heal center. And they are strapped for funds & help also. Now that the pendulum has swung back around ,it has become apparent that some of these people DO NEED more long-term treatment AND perhaps even long-term housing...the states are strapped for budgeted monies in other areas. NO ONE wants their taxes raised for the prisons or for the mentally ill. They are on the streets & for us to deal with. It is complicated & problematic. And for those that fall thru the cracks and into trouble, it is really sad. What I am going on about her is just the simple version. I could go on & on for awhile. I worked in the mental health field for 34 years AND deal with it on a personal basis, as there are 2 people in my husband's family who use these "services."

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with that issue personally. It IS a very complicated, very problematic issue, but one that needs to be addressed and soon.

I've read reports of some of the insane asylums, and the things that went on there......wow, just wow.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,832,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Unfortunately as we can see from a few posters here, many people are completely uneducated on what mental illness is. Psychiatry is just another branch of medicine that deals w the mind. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in illnesses that affect the brain, but uneducated fools portray it as everything that it isnt. We only ignore it at our own peril. It can affect anyone of any age, race, socioeconomic status etc so I think some people especially macho types feel threatened by the idea they could become ill no matter how tough they pretend to be
Your point?

No one denies that we have a 'mental illness' problem in this .. or any other country!

'But' .. there are many that deny that they (mentally ill) are running the asylum/country!

(You'll note that the Executive and Legislative Branches are majority liberals?)

Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:

You're right.....it's not a big problem.

It's a MASSIVE problem.

We don't even have 20 years of data for a lot of the prescription drugs for things other than mental health that have side effects of a mental nature.

To say nothing of psychotropic drugs.

Ignore this problem at your own peril, but it exists, and it is massive.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,271 times
Quote:
What a richly insightful post you wrote. ....

Old 10-04-2013, 07:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
You're right.....it's not a big problem.

It's a MASSIVE problem.

We don't even have 20 years of data for a lot of the prescription drugs for things other than mental health that have side effects of a mental nature.

To say nothing of psychotropic drugs.

Ignore this problem at your own peril, but it exists, and it is massive.
This.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 PM

Those drugs are fda approved, so they are clearly not the prob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies