Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That's wishful thinking. Rates for anyone making more than 25k year are in for a rude awakening. It's nothing more than a money grab, which the SCOTUS blessed as a tax. Remember, Obama claimed this was not going to be a new tax, and now it is. Where's the outrage for this lie?
man you're just conflating all sorts of different issues. I get you dont like ACA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 05:59 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
[quote=Chimuelojones;31679673]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It says he's going to lose his existing plan next year and anything applied will be reset. He has to choose a new plan entirely.

How does that equate to keeping his existing plan, which I'd bet is better and cheaper than any of the ACA plans.

One of my clients is in a quandary because he won't be able to buy his $500 mo. HSA plan, and be forced into a bronze plan that's $8200 a year with no subsidy and a massive out of pocket.

Do proponents actually believe this is going to save money? You've all been sold a silk bag full of smelly stuff.[/quote]

I read the letter, thanks.

There is nothing the op has posted says that all plans compared are all higher than his current plan. that is your addition not his.

I hate it when your right.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:00 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Yes I read the letter. The reasoning from BCBS is that the plan they previously offered does not meet the minimun federal requirements. Yes.

Im sure you dont want to hear from me that there are comparable plans available. Im sure you were happy with your plan.
Comeon Chipanzeejones, not everyone is dependent on the government.

The enrollment rolls are so low because they can't get through but many will find out it is not a good economic deal. Many people went to the Obamacare website because they thought it would be free. Obamacare will put the squeeze on the middle class and deductibles will be high. Of course the entitlement class will get it free or almost free <surprise!>. Right now the biggest problem is systemic, too many computers having to talk to each other, this will cause many disruptions of the website. This weekend the Obamacare site will be taken down multiple times as they perform "maintenance". For many the cost and deductible is where they will find the sticker shock. Now entitlement class, don't get all freaky, this is a post for the middle and upper class.

The mandate is weak and the government can't penalize someone for something they can't purchase. People will also have to change doctors, insurance plans. These plans are very narrow network of doctors and you are going to have to stay within your network and if you need specialized care you will have to go outside the network and you will pay enormous deductibles to get specialized care so be sure to stay within your network if you can or it may kill you financially. People are going to be very disappointed when they find what is in this bill.

Republicans need to just let Obama and the Democrats own this. I am happy that I am grandfathered for a year. I get to watch all the guinea pigs. I feel sorry for the middle class though. Have fun!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:04 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
If i didnt keep getting booted out of the website i would be able to compare. I only have about a month to get a quote to know what to do. This last time it couldnt verify my id. Even though i gave up my ssn. Then after putting all my and my families info it lost it all amd booted me out. Finally was able to log back in and my data all gone.
Do you need a subsidy, or are you eligible for one? If not, go to https://www.ehealthinsurance.com there is still time to get policies that will be valid in 2014, but if you need a policy to start in 2014 or to buy a policy in 2014 there are less choices available.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
If i didnt keep getting booted out of the website i would be able to compare. I only have about a month to get a quote to know what to do. This last time it couldnt verify my id. Even though i gave up my ssn. Then after putting all my and my families info it lost it all amd booted me out. Finally was able to log back in and my data all gone.
My advise is accept the current option and use the next months calling insurers in your area. You mignt be eligible for subsidies which may even lower your premuims.

It should be no different than shopping for the best auto insurance rate.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:07 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Comeon Chipanzeejones, not everyone is dependent on the government.

The enrollment rolls are so low because they can't get through but many will find out it is not a good economic deal. Many people went to the Obamacare website because they thought it would be free. Obamacare will put the squeeze on the middle class and deductibles will be high. Of course the entitlement class will get it free or almost free <surprise!>. Right now the biggest problem is systemic, too many computers having to talk to each other, this will cause many disruptions of the website. This weekend the Obamacare site will be taken down multiple times as they perform "maintenance". For many the cost and deductible is where they will find the sticker shock. Now entitlement class, don't get all freaky, this is a post for the middle and upper class.

The mandate is weak and the government can't penalize someone for something they can't purchase. People will also have to change doctors, insurance plans. These plans are very narrow network of doctors and you are going to have to stay within your network and if you need specialized care you will have to go outside the network and you will pay enormous deductibles to get specialized care so be sure to stay within your network if you can or it may kill you financially. People are going to be very disappointed when they find what is in this bill.

Republicans need to just let Obama and the Democrats own this. I am happy that I am grandfathered for a year. I get to watch all the guinea pigs. I feel sorry for the middle class though. Have fun!
Yeh i plan on grandfathering for a yr too. Waiting to see if i get a chance to compare first but if i cant get in by monday i am just renewing. I can always cancell it later if by some luck obama care males me exempt... Or when pigs fly whichever happens first. Fyi my plan is obama care complient i got a letter from anthem a month ago telling me that. And it has a 12000 deductable.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Also of note: my policy was $337 with a lower deductable before obama care passed.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:13 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Yeh i plan on grandfathering for a yr too. Waiting to see if i get a chance to compare first but if i cant get in by monday i am just renewing. I can always cancell it later if by some luck obama care males me exempt... Or when pigs fly whichever happens first. Fyi my plan is obama care complient i got a letter from anthem a month ago telling me that. And it has a 12000 deductable.
Mike, I got my letter notifying me of the termination of my insurance policy Dec 31, 2014 at the beginning of this week. I wonder why they waited until Obamacare went into effect. Either way, I am hoping to be able to stay out of that mess. My healthcare is too important and I don't want to depend on the government to authorize treatment for me. I think there will be so many problems I am so glad I was grandfathered till next year. Maybe pigs will fly by then and it will be defunct.

Also note, I went to see what my cost would be. Mine will increase by almost $2k a year.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Mike, I got my letter notifying me of the termination of my insurance policy Dec 31, 2014 at the beginning of this week. I wonder why they waited until Obamacare went into effect. Either way, I am hoping to be able to stay out of that mess. My healthcare is too important and I don't want to depend on the government to authorize treatment for me. I think there will be so many problems I am so glad I was grandfathered till next year. Maybe pigs will fly by then and it will be defunct.

Also note, I went to see what my cost would be. Mine will increase by almost $2k a year.
What i think they are counting on is those of us who buy insurance already plus those dropped from their employers would cover cost for the low income freebees. They need us in the plan because we are a known payer. Raise our rates and they know within reason we will pay it. Thats because we have paid for all the other raises up till now.

I will use a old movie theatre analigy. I worked for a movie theatre company who had a monoply in town and closed its only discount theatre because they felt that people would go to movies not matter what so why give them a discount theatre choice. They also raised their ticket prices. What happened 5 yrs later? They had a competitor come into town and because of that they lowered their rates, finally had free refills etc. well it was too late because the people remembered how they were treated when they had 1 and only 1 choice and decided to be loyal to the new chain. A yr later the old chain sold all their locations to a different company.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
What i think they are counting on is those of us who buy insurance already plus those dropped from their employers would cover cost for the low income freebees. They need us in the plan because we are a known payer. Raise our rates and they know within reason we will pay it. Thats because we have paid for all the other raises up till now.
Insurance rates are rising because no actuarial data is being used. All the people with preexisting conditions are going to be covered no matter what. The subsidies are coming out of the new taxes in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies