Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 04:06 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I see just anothe government/LE abuse of power here. They are making an example out of this guy. One tbat says all citizens will fully comply with LE, at all times and in all situations. LE demands are above reproach and no arguement will be tolerated.

Failure to totally submit will result in force being used, should you survive said force, you WILL be prosecuted and incarcerated.

Had I been the homeowner here, I would have been likely to have acted similarly. I would not be inclined to allow the cop to order me around, in my own yard either. As whether the guy was actually "waving his gun around" I'm refraining from comment.

The burden of explanation was on the cop here. Not the homeowner. The cop could easily have been someone just dressed like a cop, and he WAS trespassing. I would not have been inclined to be cooperative with him at all. Ok, he's looking for a missing girl. Alone? No help at all? It's late at night, and he's prowling my yard, and I can just safely assume, because he has a badge, that he's who he says he is? This notion that LE is to be totally complied with, without question, israther chaps me. I'm not buying. But, this is the goal, and, here is an example of what happens when uou don't just blindly accept that. Another example, I should say. Seems we are seeing a LOT of incidents of LE totalitarianism these days.
The cop was neither "prowling" the yard nor trespassing. "The officer was standing on the sidewalk next to his patrol car speaking with Connely’s wife" (Appeal document, page 2).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 04:19 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Shannon must be white...

as far as this story goes... I can't find anything official. 2 blogs and thats it... I'll wait in this one before giving an opinion.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Shannon must be white...

as far as this story goes... I can't find anything official. 2 blogs and thats it... I'll wait in this one before giving an opinion.
http://azcourts.gov/Portals/0/Opinio...%2010-0786.PDF

Old 10-05-2013, 04:24 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The cop was neither "prowling" the yard nor trespassing. "The officer was standing on the sidewalk next to his patrol car speaking with Connely’s wife" (Appeal document, page 2).
OK...where is this? The link just showed me the article which highlights the story. Irregardless, this is completely excessive, for dealing with an irrate homeowner, who may have been acting like an azz here, but since when is that a felonious crime?

Old 10-05-2013, 04:27 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
May 2009, Shannon Connely was asleep in his home when squealing tires and barking dogs awakened him.

Connely grabbed his holstered handgun and ran outside to find a police officer.

The officer, who was looking for a missing child, drew his gun and ordered Connely to drop his weapon.

Connely cursed, said his gun was holstered and ordered the officer off of his property.

The officer shouted at him to drop it and lie down, Connely complied.

He was hit with a Taser, then arrested.

Connely, a real estate agent who had never before had a run-in with the law, was offered probation if he would plead guilty to a felony.

Instead, he opted to take his chances with a jury, who convicted him of aggravated assault and disorderly conduct,the judge gave him 10½ years in prison.

April 2011, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency recommended that his sentence be commuted to the seven months already served. The vote was unanimous. Gov. Jan Brewer turned him down flat.

Today, Connely will remain behind bars until December 2020. Our tax dollars at work.

Brewer has been tampering with the supposedly independent clemency board.

No pardoning Gov. Jan Brewer’s cowardly clemency policy | Insiders
Oh no and did you hear about the 90 lb woman that gave birth to the 50 lb baby.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:28 PM

One thing I will comment on is Brewer... she has never granted clemency to anyone. EVER...

I bet if you look at her finances she has a link to the private prison industry. Probably her biggest donors...

Who voted her into office?

Old 10-05-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Thx.... I saw that link but not much else. Seems like this case would have more publicity.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I read the entire document.

The man should be free.

He IS the victim. He was tased.

After he dropped his weapon. What a freaking chump move.
If you read the entire document and still have that opinion then I submit the move isnt chump but your assessment of the situation.

If some frigging idiot comes out of the house holding a pistol in his hand screaming and yelling at me as an officer of the law while I am conversing with potential witnesses he most likely would have been dead with two in his centermass.

Lucky for him the cop decided to wait a few seconds (could have been deadly fo the cop and witnesses) and get the suspect to submit.

He'll be out in a few years given time for good behavior. I suspect he has some anger management issues to work on.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
OK...where is this? The link just showed me the article which highlights the story. Irregardless, this is completely excessive, for dealing with an irrate homeowner, who may have been acting like an azz here, but since when is that a felonious crime?
http://azcourts.gov/Portals/0/Opinio...%2010-0786.PDF

The sentence is completely excessive. But that is what mandatory sentencing gets you.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:59 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
The guy acted like a fool, however, 7 months in jail was time enough. A lot, perhaps most, cops are really good, professional, and act as public servants, but a lot of cops are punks, too. I won't comment on this cop, I will comment on the sentencing laws that is sending an idiot to prison for 10 years for being an idiot. His sentence would be overturned in most places, Arizona not being one.

In all honesty, acting like an idiot can surely get you arrested, even killed, but 10 years in prison is clearly excessive to any rational person, of which Brewer is not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies