Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:41 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No, actually you didn't and I don't need to interpret anything, the facts are easily found in a quick Google search and you left out quite a bit of relevant information.

http://azcourts.gov/Portals/0/Opinio...%2010-0786.PDF
I read the entire document.

The man should be free.

He IS the victim. He was tased.

After he dropped his weapon. What a freaking chump move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Again.

Where did he assault the cop? HE was the one that got tased!

He never drew his gun.
Now we'll get into definition arguments about "drew his gun" and holstered". The gun was in his hand in a nylon holster and he was waving it around. It was not "holstered" on a belt or body holster. Can he be waving his gun around in a holster but it's not "drawn" until he takes it out of the holster?

"When Connely emerged from his house and began screaming at the officer, he was carrying his gun in a small nylon case not attached to his belt or otherwise tied around his waist or leg. He was holding the gun in a manner that would permit it to be fired. The gun was loaded and readily capable of being fired by slipping a finger inside the holster."

Old 10-05-2013, 01:50 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Now we'll get into definition arguments about "drew his gun" and holstered". The gun was in his hand in a nylon holster and he was waving it around. It was not "holstered" on a belt or body holster. Can he be waving his gun around in a holster but it's not "drawn" until he takes it out of the holster?

"When Connely emerged from his house and began screaming at the officer, he was carrying his gun in a small nylon case not attached to his belt or otherwise tied around his waist or leg. He was holding the gun in a manner that would permit it to be fired. The gun was loaded and readily capable of being fired by slipping a finger inside the holster."
You are ignoring the fact that the cop had absolutely no business whatsoever being on Connely's property in the first place.

Connely acted in self defense - the cop is lucky that Connely didn't actually shoot him - and Connely is the criminal?

Old 10-05-2013, 01:52 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You are ignoring the fact that the cop had absolutely no business whatsoever being on Connely's property in the first place.

Connely acted in self defense - the cop is lucky that Connely didn't actually shoot him - and Connely is the criminal?
That's what's gonna have to start happening. And we're gonna have to start standing together for jury nullification. One community at a time.

They need to learn they are public servants.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Do not fear Sheriff Joe (unless you are illegal), and actually I find the Phoenix and Scottsdale police, who have never stopped me, much more hospitable than the Chicago cops who once pulled me over and searched my car just because I was driving thru the wrong neighborhood. ?
Why did you consent to the search of your vehicle?

Old 10-05-2013, 01:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Do not fear Sheriff Joe (unless you are illegal), and actually I find the Phoenix and Scottsdale police, who have never stopped me, much more hospitable than the Chicago cops who once pulled me over and searched my car just because I was driving thru the wrong neighborhood. 'Sanity' is a relative term - do you consider the national government to be 'sane'?
according to odanny, anything short of complete totalitarian governments is not sanity. arizona is far less corrupt that illinois is government wise, and yet odanny would rather stay there than come to arizona. thats fine by me as we have enough liberals trying to screw up the place, we dont need any more.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's what's gonna have to start happening. And we're gonna have to start standing together for jury nullification. One community at a time.

They need to learn they are public servants.
www.fija.org

Old 10-05-2013, 01:56 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
May 2009, Shannon Connely was asleep in his home when squealing tires and barking dogs awakened him.

Connely grabbed his holstered handgun and ran outside to find a police officer.

The officer, who was looking for a missing child, drew his gun and ordered Connely to drop his weapon.

Connely cursed, said his gun was holstered and ordered the officer off of his property.

The officer shouted at him to drop it and lie down, Connely complied.

He was hit with a Taser, then arrested.

Connely, a real estate agent who had never before had a run-in with the law, was offered probation if he would plead guilty to a felony.

Instead, he opted to take his chances with a jury, who convicted him of aggravated assault and disorderly conduct,the judge gave him 10½ years in prison.

April 2011, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency recommended that his sentence be commuted to the seven months already served. The vote was unanimous. Gov. Jan Brewer turned him down flat.

Today, Connely will remain behind bars until December 2020. Our tax dollars at work.

Brewer has been tampering with the supposedly independent clemency board.

No pardoning Gov. Jan Brewer’s cowardly clemency policy | Insiders
You make it sound like there was no judge or jury, Brewer just imprisoned the guy all on her own?

Old 10-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

So what?

He was defending his life and the sanctity of his property.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:04 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Like you said - there are too many liberals in Arizona.
I would have expected a hardcore red state like AZ to be outraged over this kind of policing. The government totally trashed this guy's property and Second Amendment rights.

Maybe everybody out there is afraid to speak up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies