Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:45 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well the government is just using this thing to create a massive public database with all our info. Hippa? Never heard of it is what they will say the first time it gets hacked and all our info is stolen. People have no idea what a complete infringement on our rights and what a mess this will all become.

Have more control and POWER over us, I couldn't agree more.
Scary, insane, we sound like we're paranoid but it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 09:10 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Well the government is just using this thing to create a massive public database with all our info. Hippa? Never heard of it is what they will say the first time it gets hacked and all our info is stolen. People have no idea what a complete infringement on our rights and what a mess this will all become.
I don't like it but I figure the government has had that kind of information on most people for decades. Take the 120 million who are already on Medicare and Medicaid, another 18 million state, federal or local government workers who get their healthcare through their jobs, another 6 million on VA medical, etc.

Not to mention all the other medical, school, travel and financial data we've disclosed over the years.

It's not like we've been living under the cone of silence.

And frankly, I'm not really any more comfortable knowing that a for profit insurance company -- which would probably love nothing better than to deny my claim -- has been accumulating this information too.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Wow, I never gave that any thought.. I was working with an insurance company a little over a decade ago and I remember the great pain we went through to make sure our new internal system was HIPPA compliant.. I wonder if the government website is..

Old 10-05-2013, 09:19 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh, I've heard that they are flooded with signups! Literally DOZENS of people!
If the feds hold a party on the internet and nobody shows up, is it still a party?

Old 10-05-2013, 10:12 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Have more control and POWER over us, I couldn't agree more.
Scary, insane, we sound like we're paranoid but it's true.
Oh it's true. Obamacare wants folks to "voluntarily" get aids testing too. Hello DNA database. People don't realize what this thing is going to do. It's mind boggling anybody would support this mess. I guess they think it's free. Sounds like it isn't though and people are upset. LOL

Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't like it but I figure the government has had that kind of information on most people for decades. Take the 120 million who are already on Medicare and Medicaid, another 18 million state, federal or local government workers who get their healthcare through their jobs, another 6 million on VA medical, etc.

Not to mention all the other medical, school, travel and financial data we've disclosed over the years.

It's not like we've been living under the cone of silence.

And frankly, I'm not really any more comfortable knowing that a for profit insurance company -- which would probably love nothing better than to deny my claim -- has been accumulating this information too.
Well the folks all fork up the info voluntarily. Now we HAVE to fork it up. Big difference. Nobody said folks were living under a "code of silence" but the days of you and your doctor only know your info are OVER. Insurance companies had to comply to HIPPA. Who does HIPPA have to comply to? Get it yet? LOL

Old 10-05-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wow, I never gave that any thought.. I was working with an insurance company a little over a decade ago and I remember the great pain we went through to make sure our new internal system was HIPPA compliant.. I wonder if the government website is..
The government website has been down according to I think it was Forbes. How anybody can trust the government after the NSA sheet, the leaker runner, the daily lies of our president.......on and on I just don't know. I guess they just check the mailbox and hope all is well.

Yes Hippa is a big deal, lawyers will be all over it, and I guarantee you they will be suing all over the place over anything as that is what lawyers do. Sue one law for violating another. All these senators and reps are lawyers too most of em anyway it's as if they threw a hanging curveball over the plate to their buddies. This quagmire hasn't even started yet and we're already sinking in it.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier doesn't know.

Harrier does know that he will not have health insurance so long as the federal government's position is that Harrier is a criminal for not doing so.
I hope Harrier knows a good bankruptcy lawyer. Really, having no insurance as a protest? What will you do if you're in an accident? Are you independently wealthy so you can afford to pay out of pocket?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I was able to create an account a few minutes ago! Been trying since Monday. I created one then but it evaporated or something. Now I get the (blank) success! screen when logging in but get no further. Progress though. LOL . I think in a couple more weeks our Indian IT consultants will have this thing working.
I probably could have had all the programs written and running like a top by myself in one year - assuming they were Cobol/CICS/DB2 programs.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Insurance companies have gotten sign ups so people are doing it. . . .no word yet on if its a bunch of cancer payments or something else that will cause the insurance companies to back out faster than a man in his sisters friend, and the sister just arrived home
I need the insurance for my wife because she has a pre-existing, and I somehow allowed my Cobra to lapse - so it's on me to get her insured - would have even been more panicked had Obamacare not been in place, because those insurance cos want nothing to do with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies