Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 05:41 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Only if you lie on the application and state that you already have dental insurance. I don't think it's legal to lie on bank or insurance applications though. What I posted was copied directly from the ehealthinsurance site.
I'm not seeing that. What I get is a option that says "I don't need any additional dental coverage/vision/accident coverage." You do NOT have to buy dental.

Under ACA pediatric dental is INCLUDED in all ACA policies (thank you Obama). Maybe ehealth policies don't cover that? I doubt that though as it is required by law. In any case, NO ONE HAS TO BUY DENTAL on the exchanges that is not already in the offerings.

A discussion of the law:

http://www.nadp.org/Libraries/LMS/The_ACA_and_Dental_Coverage--The_Basics--
Jan_2013.sflb.ashx

Note that states get to set what is a minimum and some (let's guess the red states again) require little to nothing in the way of childrens coverage. So one might want to get some other coverage for their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
ehealthinsurance doesn't seem to have the "I don't need it" option. If I look at, say, a Blue Cross policy the dental care is selected with not way to deselect it. And it's good for everyone (ie: me) but I don't want Blue Cross Dental since my dentist isn't in the network. Most aren't. If I go directly to the Blue Cross website I can buy the same policy without the dental rider for less money. On the exchange it's a little more $ than the Blue Cross website but not as much as the ehealthinsurance website with the preselected dental adding approx. $45 a month. Only Kaiser give me the option to not take dental.

I really don't know what's up. And for the record I haven't "signed up" at any of these sites, they all allow me to get quotes without getting my personal info.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Only if you lie on the application and state that you already have dental insurance. I don't think it's legal to lie on bank or insurance applications though. What I posted was copied directly from the ehealthinsurance site.
It is only legitimate if you are actually appling for the insurance. OP said he was "just fooling around". fooling around is not a serious attempt to sign up... it is playing on the website.

If you want to rap ACA, at least be factual and genuine in the information you post.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
It only legitimate if you are actually appling for the insurance. OP said he was just fooling around. fooling around is not a serious attempt to sign up... it is playing on the website.

If you want to rap ACA, at least be factual and genuine in the information you post.
I was factual. I copied the information directly from the website. You can either tell them that you already have dental insurance or sign up for dental insurance. Evidently, the dental is only required for kids, but ehealth does not point that out.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Huh? That is patently false. They are clearly optional - you may have been tricked. The site has a couple questions you have to read carefully. Go back and start over.

The "trick" was on us in 2010.

Go back and start over.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:21 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
ehealthinsurance doesn't seem to have the "I don't need it" option. If I look at, say, a Blue Cross policy the dental care is selected with not way to deselect it. And it's good for everyone (ie: me) but I don't want Blue Cross Dental since my dentist isn't in the network. Most aren't. If I go directly to the Blue Cross website I can buy the same policy without the dental rider for less money. On the exchange it's a little more $ than the Blue Cross website but not as much as the ehealthinsurance website with the preselected dental adding approx. $45 a month. Only Kaiser give me the option to not take dental.

I really don't know what's up. And for the record I haven't "signed up" at any of these sites, they all allow me to get quotes without getting my personal info.
The prices may vary because on the exchange the insurance co has to pay 3.5% to the gov for each policy. On ehealthinsurance they pay that AND whatever commission they get. So I would guess the ins companies are just passing that fee along.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:22 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
I'm not seeing that. What I get is a option that says "I don't need any additional dental coverage/vision/accident coverage." You do NOT have to buy dental.

Under ACA pediatric dental is INCLUDED in all ACA policies (thank you Obama). Maybe ehealth policies don't cover that? I doubt that though as it is required by law. In any case, NO ONE HAS TO BUY DENTAL on the exchanges that is not already in the offerings.

A discussion of the law:

http://www.nadp.org/Libraries/LMS/The_ACA_and_Dental_Coverage--The_Basics--
Jan_2013.sflb.ashx

Note that states get to set what is a minimum and some (let's guess the red states again) require little to nothing in the way of childrens coverage. So one might want to get some other coverage for their kids.

Key word= "additional"

Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
The prices may vary because on the exchange the insurance co has to pay 3.5% to the gov for each policy. On ehealthinsurance they pay that AND whatever commission they get. So I would guess the ins companies are just passing that fee along.
ehealthinsurance has never been more money than directly from the insurance company. The even say than in their FAQ's. I've been looking at them for years.

Interestingly enough, when I put in another zip code for another state I get the option to choose dental. I wonder if it's a glitch.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
ehealthinsurance has never been more money than directly from the insurance company. The even say than in their FAQ's. I've been looking at them for years.

Interestingly enough, when I put in another zip code for another state I get the option to choose dental. I wonder if it's a glitch.
From Katzpaw's post (#8):

" On the other hand, states have the authority to mandate the purchase of the dental EHB. Few states have chosen to mandate purchase or are considering doing so."

It sounds like the first state entered may indeed be mandating dental coverage.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Check this out. So I was messing around on the ehealthinsurance website and it turns out if you buy the ACA compliant policies (that start in 2014) you also have to buy dental insurance. So in addition to my policy for the same deductible almost doubling next year, I also have to buy dental insurance even if I can't us the plan.

• The Affordable Care Act ("ACA") requires us to be reasonably assured that you and each member on this policy have coverage for pediatric dental services that are essential health benefits. The Affordable Care Act requires these benefits even if there is no one on the policy who is eligible for these services.

Oh yea, I saw that. In my state we have to pay for pediatric dental services too and my kids are grown up and gone.
Yet another way we have to pay for dead beat daddy and baby momma's kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies