Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:12 PM

181 posts, read 499,442 times

Advertisements

Honestly, why do people place so much importance on "how many Americans like ObamaCare" or "who do you blame for the government shutdown?"

Who cares what they think? A month after this is over, most Americans will have forgotten and gone back to playing Grand Theft Auto.

And as both the Bill Maher and Jimmy Kimmell show demonstrated, most Americans have no clue what Obamacare is about. They might catch a 15 second sound byte and then form their opinion.

I'm pretty sure at one point polls said that Donald Trump had a chance at securing the Republican nominations.

So why do people care so much about polls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 06:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
This was a point that resonated with me when I watched the Ted Cruz discussion on MEET THE PRESS. The host was clinging to polls...and it appears politicians do too.

The fact is...pollsters are statisticians that know all about methodology and how to get EXACTLY the answer they want. I don't care if they are independent....there is bias.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
Honestly, why do people place so much importance on "how many Americans like ObamaCare" or "who do you blame for the government shutdown?"

Who cares what they think? A month after this is over, most Americans will have forgotten and gone back to playing Grand Theft Auto.

And as both the Bill Maher and Jimmy Kimmell show demonstrated, most Americans have no clue what Obamacare is about. They might catch a 15 second sound byte and then form their opinion.

I'm pretty sure at one point polls said that Donald Trump had a chance at securing the Republican nominations.

You dont like polls yet you base your assessment of the American people on people featured on Bill Maher and Jimmy Kimmell's shows...

Old 10-05-2013, 06:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Politicians only care about polls when the results support their position.
Case in point all polls showed Americans didn't agree with the ACA as it was written. Polls ignored.
Polls show that Americans were against a govt. Shut down. Polls ignored.
Polls showed that the American people are against the immigration reform as submitted by the Senate. Senate ignored the people. Congress listened only because the polls supported their position.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:50 PM

181 posts, read 499,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You dont like polls yet you base your assessment of the American people on people featured on Bill Maher and Jimmy Kimmell's shows...
My assessment is not solely based on either of those shows. I see that attitude first-hand.

Most people are, by and large, apolitical. In order to defend their ignorance they might say something along the lines of "they're all crooked". Yet this uninformed electorate goes out and votes. Despite knowing nothing more than what they've heard on a segment on CNN or Fox News.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:10 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Polls are tools of manipulation used by the media.

Today, I read an article in my local newspaper with a headline that said "The Vast Majority Of Americans Support Obamacare".

The poll they used? 310 people, and 58% were in support, 40% did not support, and 2% had no opinion.

Meaningless poll, meaningless article.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:26 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Remember those Dick Morris polls?

Dick Morris on Bill O'Reilly , Dick Preditics Romney will Win with a Landslide!? - YouTube

Old 10-05-2013, 07:27 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post

If we really want politicians to pay attention to us and cater to us, we all have to tell pollsters we're Independents.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If we really want politicians to pay attention to us and cater to us, we all have to tell pollsters we're Independents.
Exactly -- It appears that the independent non-party affiliated types are what scares the hell out of the Republicans and Democrats the most

It's a demographic wild card when it comes down to getting the votes - The beauty of it all is that it's hard to tell just what platform, if any, an independent voter might represent because nothing's written down - it's not like the independent movement is an organized political party --

One day, if Independents ever banded together to form their own party, I think the Party should be named for what Independents represent.

The American Party.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:23 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Carefully written and conducted polls are pretty good snapshots of public opinion of the moment. One poll often means nothing after only a few days, sometimes, but at other times can be valid for quite a while.

It all depends on the poll and the subject. Polls are nothing but one tool in a professional's toolbox. There are many ways of measuring public opinion other than polling. Data is data, and we are getting better at data analysis all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies