Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,366,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Ummm... The law before Obamacare said 25 and under while in college can be under the parents health plan... Obamacare says it is 26 and not required to be in college...
What 'law'? It appears that everyone's private insurance plans said something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,366,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Anyone have kids under 26 back on their insurance?

26 year old kids, give me a break!
Listen, if you are a 55 year old parent with 26 year old children- you STILL refer to your adult children as 'the kids'. What should we call them?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,966,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Anyone have kids under 26 that they have to put back on their insurance? I'm just wondering if you are an insured parent and have 26 and under kid(s), and those kids are sans-insurance...do you have to put them back on your insurance plan? Is this mandated or fined if you don't? My daughter is 24, but thankfully has insurance through her work (though she is on furlough now, since she works in a "non-essential" position.) I can't imagine having to add her back onto my insurance and at the increased rates!
My son is now 26.

He was eligible last year to go on our insurance for about a year.

I made him pay the $175 monthly fee for his employers health insurance.

My daughter is 21 and will be finishing her 4th year of college this year.

When she gets a job, she will be made to go on their insurance.

They are adults. They were raised to act as adults.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,434,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm not sure if it will be the same now that 'kids' can buy their own insurance but my granddaughter left her mother's house to be out on her own, no job, no money....smart enough to sign up for Medicaid....the mother on disability and Social Security (ex work insurance company is primary, Medicare secondary) so under government auspices.

As soon as the ruling went into effect....zap.....was involuntarily put back on her mother's policy
How is one smart enough to sign up for Medicaid? Was she pregnant?

In my state those newly approved for SSDI must wait a minimum of 2 years for consideration for Medicaid.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So insurance Companies were already doing what the law did?
Why have a law passed that was not an issue, for those 18 and older?
I believe our insurance plan let kids who were full time students remain on until they turned 23 but the new law to keep kids on until 26 kicked in before that happened. I remember looking at our policy online, knowing she was going to be kicked off, and worrying about it. But it never happened.

Of course we are paying something towards that. It's not a lot though, having more than 1 child doesn't change the premium for us. I think the rate levels are: Employee, Employee+Spouse, Employee+Child(ren), Employee+Spouse+Child(ren).

I won't lie, we've had amazing coverage through this employer for over 30 years. Yes, the prices have gone up every year (it started out FREE for the employee back in the day!) and the deductible and copays have gone up a bit too. The companies have changed and we've had to change Dr's a few times over the years, but it's hands down better than anything an individual can buy.

Last edited by Ceece; 10-07-2013 at 07:31 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Employers are paying part of the insurance bill. Adding children up to 26 cost employers some money
It's a variable. Some employers do not subsidize family coverage. Some carve out those who remain covered without being full time students. Others subsidize. Someone is paying for it.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think it's 30 in NJ. I suppose it is a good thing for kids who need it, but the real problem is with the broken system in general.
31 in NJ.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:38 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My son is now 26.

He was eligible last year to go on our insurance for about a year.

I made him pay the $175 monthly fee for his employers health insurance.

My daughter is 21 and will be finishing her 4th year of college this year.

When she gets a job, she will be made to go on their insurance.

They are adults. They were raised to act as adults.
Acting like an adult doesn't get a you a job with health insurance.
Are you serious with this stuff? NOBODY is saying someone 26 is A LITTLE CHILD, it's not about maturity. It's about the ability of people to get this stuff in todays market. I hope you and your kids continue to LUCKILY find employment with someone who has it for them. The look around and realize it's luck, not your being a better parent that anyone else. Many of these "kids" are paying their parent for whatever it costs to stay on the policy you know.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Most major health plans have ALWAYS included a feature that allowed you to cover your "children" up to age 25. That was true long before Obama and Obamacare. (Don't ask me "why 25?". I'm sure the dudes at the insurance companies who work the actuary tables could tell you)

The change the ACA brought about was to require insurance companies to extend family coverage one more year, to age 26. We were (and still are) going through a time when even 25 yr old college grads had trouble finding jobs that included health benefits. The ACA provides a one-yr extension, so they are covered while they (presumably) look for work. AFTER they turn 26, they are on their own (or a least off their parent's plans).
50 states. 50 different laws. Most states allowed adult children to be covered till X years, provided they were full time students. Some states extended this to un married non students and some pushed the age limit to 25.

A handful capped it at 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31 years of age. Those states that exceed the ACA baseline are free to continue doing so.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,402,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Acting like an adult doesn't get a you a job with health insurance.
Are you serious with this stuff? NOBODY is saying someone 26 is A LITTLE CHILD, it's not about maturity. It's about the ability of people to get this stuff in todays market. I hope you and your kids continue to LUCKILY find employment with someone who has it for them. The look around and realize it's luck, not your being a better parent that anyone else. Many of these "kids" are paying their parent for whatever it costs to stay on the policy you know.
Agreed; I understand that no parent would want to continue paying for their son or daughters healthcare especially to 26-yo, but logically speaking there are jobs out there but they don't pay enough for the child to cover their own insurance. I guess some parents, especially ones against increasing the limit to 26-yo, that if they make their child who can't afford to purchase health insurance get it, then they could also put them into becoming a welfare user. How about the parents who don't want to pay their children's health insurance after college but don't want their child to be uninsured, have the child give them a few dollars a month towards their insurance? That seems fair to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Not all parents can afford to reinstate their children. I know I couldn't, as I've only been able to find substitute teaching jobs since graduating in 09 with my teaching degree, and my husband is self employed.

p.s. I applaud you BMORE, that you are willing to "eat ramen noodles" to save money, instead of going on foodstamps (which you likely would qualify for under the current administration).
I don't believe in using reduced lunch or any type of that sort of welfare for myself. Back in high-school, with my moms income in the toilet due to the recession closing her old workplace, I probably could've qualified for reduced or free lunch, but I didn't want to use that because I knew that I truly didn't need it and the people who really needed sometime weren't getting it so I guess that's just how I was raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies