Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:11 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Works for me - I have no buyer's remorse.
The group BCBS plan which I pay for through a payroll deduction at work, lowered it's monthly premium, lowered its co-pay and is covering more than ever before. No remorse here, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:11 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Hm, I got a letter from my insurance company that informed me that, due to the ACA, my plan now covered more for less. In fact, several preventative measures are now free altogether while I would have been charged before the ACA.

I was also informed that I should check with my local healthcare exchange to see if the identical plan offered there might be less expensive since my insurance cannot grant any government subsidies.

Works for me - I have no buyer's remorse.
Nothing is ever free. Someone always has to pay for it. I know that is hard for liberals to understand.

I have yet to meet anyone who is getting a better deal on health Ins. now. Tell us your secret.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Nope, basing it on my own experience. NEXT!
So you're angry at Obama because your health insurance provider is passing its own costs onto you? Congratulations, this is a huge part of that free market capitalism you love so much. You're like the guy who's mad at the government for passing child labor laws because you have to pay 5 cents extra for copper.

This is how things work in the world: Corporations are out solely to make a profit, and they will do anything to maximize that profit. The problem is you conservatives think that, if you keep conceding to the corporate world, at some point they'll throw you a bone.

No. Our healthcare system is wildly inefficient, and this is the first step in correcting that. If you didn't think there'd be corporate pushback to protect profits then you dont understand the first thing about economics, and your opinion is worthless.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:16 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
So you're angry at Obama because your health insurance provider is passing its own costs onto you? Congratulations, this is a huge part of that free market capitalism you love so much. You're like the guy who's mad at the government for passing child labor laws because you have to pay 5 cents extra for copper.

This is how things work in the world: Corporations are out solely to make a profit, and they will do anything to maximize that profit. The problem is you conservatives think that, if you keep conceding to the corporate world, at some point they'll throw you a bone.

No. Our healthcare system is wildly inefficient, and this is the first step in correcting that. If you didn't think there'd be corporate pushback to protect profits then you dont understand the first thing about economics, and your opinion is worthless.
And yet I thought Obamacare was going to ensure that insurance companies couldn't simply do that. What was that provision again? That they must spend 80% of the premiums on direct care vice profit. I'm sure you know the exact wording. But it seems your contending that previously the insurance company paid for those cost themselves and undercharged? Yeah - that's likely.

Hmm, why did the cost increase?? Perhaps it has to do with paying for all those new provisions and extra people - EXACTLY as the right warned for three years now. Now it's coming true - our warnings - that is. Go figure.

ETA: I am particularly fond of paying for things that I do not need with the new provisions. That's gov't mandated coverage for ya! Even though I physically cannot have another baby, thank goodness I have that maternity coverage.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
Quote:

I don't normally don't use the words total diarrhea, but that's what this post reminds me of.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:

.......This is how things work in the world: Corporations are out solely to make a profit, and they will do anything to maximize that profit. The problem is you conservatives think that, if you keep conceding to the corporate world, at some point they'll throw you a bone.....
Umm, no, this is how things work in the real world: corporations maximize profit by maximizing their usefulness to the rest of society. Same with any business: the grocer maximizes profits by helping more people feed their families. The car dealer maximizes profits by helping more people get where they want to go. If you can't see this, try to find an example of a successful society where one's usefulness to others was NOT the determinant of success.

Now, with the health care market in this country, it is plenty screwed up--largely because the government has been half of the market by spending for decades, but also because of ineffective regulation. When Medicare has been run as a giant slush fund for creative medical billers and crony suppliers, what else could we expect?

1. What we had was terribly flawed and really hurt some people. We have been spending 150% of what it would cost to provide needed care for everyone.
2. Obamacare is terribly flawed and really hurts some people. The tie between health insurance and employment is a fatal flaw.
3. We all need to be working together to improve it. The ACA is what we have, let's deal with it.

Personally, my adult kids are getting screwed on the premiums, with large increases. My own costs are going down a little, because we were trapped in a stale pool of insureds by pre-existing conditions. As a family we about break even.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Nothing is ever free. Someone always has to pay for it. I know that is hard for liberals to understand.

I have yet to meet anyone who is getting a better deal on health Ins. now. Tell us your secret.
No, nothing is ever free - that's why I pay premiums. "Free" in the sense of my post meant that I no longer have any co-pays for some preventative measures. No need to be a condescending prick!

There is no secret. I purchase my health insurance privately and get to decided which type of coverage best fits my needs. With ACA, my coverage has improved and my premiums have stayed the same.

That's all there is to it.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post

How about if your on Medicare. That program cost 580 billion and its about $11,000 for each recipient. I don't hear them complaining about the $104 part B or $29 part D and the amount they are paying for prescriptions. By the way many states came out with some very attractive rates. Humana in Arizona came out quite a bit lower than everyone else. I doubt if many people in Phoenix are complaining.

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The group BCBS plan which I pay for through a payroll deduction at work, lowered it's monthly premium, lowered its co-pay and is covering more than ever before. No remorse here, either.
Oh, we can't have that - we only want to hear statements that affirm the OP... You MUST be making this up because you are a paid liberal shill.

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Just wait for another month. Most employers that have healthcare plans for their employees begin their annual open enrollment for the coming year starting in late October or November.

If you have(or had) an HSA, you will no longer be able to contribute as much as you did before. That's great for someone like me, approaching retirement in a few years, trying to sock away my own money for later use when income is less.

We've already been notified that a total makeover of our healthplan is coming as a result of the ACA. If you think there is a lot of screaming now, just wait a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies