Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times

Advertisements

This thread has gone full retard. I'm out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I am going out on a limb here ans saying gender roles are not reversing, they are vanishing. Women and men can both now be more and more honest about who they are as individuals.

People have always been this way, but have had to hide so much about themselves in the past. We still have a way to go.

As far as women perhaps "inheriting negative traits", I say that is rubbish. There are bad people of both genders. Bad women will be bad people. It has nothing to do with genitals and chemicals.
Absolutely! For a boy to be so constrained within narrow gender definitions is not good either! There is a happy medium where we can all flourish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
i suggest you check out the Middle East and much of the Arab world if you want to see what happens when women are not allowed (in this case due to lack of women's rights) to flourish their various fairer influences on men and the resulting relative hell that emerges.

sounds much like the historic, barbaric societies you mention (formed due to inverse reasons) in your post and seemingly have a nostalgia for
What ARE you talking about?

Quote:
how about you use some of your 'natural intelligence' to read and better yet, comprehend!

I mentioned nothing about intelligence or abilities or brilliance or being 'kick-ass'. you seem to have some insecurity issues.

I'm talking about women starting to display negative characteristics that have been traditionally stereotyped as masculine as they amass more power in our society: selfishness, promiscuity, aggression, coarseness, etc.

I guess you feel women's freedom means you all will just become more barbaric, because you can

congrats...
Hyperbole much?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,503 times
People are conflating two very different things:

1. How women are portrayed by media.
2. What psychometry studies actually demonstrate.

There was actually a lot more concern in the 1970s and 1980s than now about gender specific behaviour changing or reversing, and that difference isn't down to changing cultural perceptions. The trend saturated very quickly, stabilised in the 1980s, and if anything ostensibly reversed a little with the positive cultural developments of the early 1990s.

This concurs with the substantive evidence (note the Cattell psychometry studies, or the life outcome cohort studies on this in the 1990s) that traditional gender roles have basis in neurobiology. Such findings conclusively refute the common feminist complaint that gender roles are purely social constructs.

There has always been a given proportion of people in a population that has deviated away from these norms of gender specific behaviour. Such people may get greater public exposure nowadays, or be more confident in expressing their differences from the status quo, but our underlying psychometry won't really change without of a top-to-bottom biological redesign of the human brain.

That may take millions of years, assuming we last that long as a species.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I'm going to be me. You be you. Somewhere in the middle is where everyone else wants to be.

Why does it matter what roles people play in society, as long as it's done freely?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
is it impossible for you and some others to seperate your personal life from the broader community (micro vs macro)

of course, she can do what (or who) she wants without affecting me personally in the least. but all of our actions cumalitively add up to a collective that eventually affects us all...
How so? How is her sex life affecting you? I'd love to know how this manifests in your day to day. I ask this because it's the only gauge you can have. There are plenty of women who enjoy sex and there are plenty of women who either don't or remain with their spouses. What women do with their private bits will never be anyone else's business.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I think it's because were becoming a more technology corporate office centered culture. Big burly tough guys aren't needed as much.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
how about you use some of your 'natural intelligence' to read and better yet, comprehend!

I mentioned nothing about intelligence or abilities or brilliance or being 'kick-ass'. you seem to have some insecurity issues.

I'm talking about women starting to display negative characteristics that have been traditionally stereotyped as masculine as they amass more power in our society: selfishness, promiscuity, aggression, coarseness, etc.

I guess you feel women's freedom means you all will just become more barbaric, because you can

congrats...
Quote:
case in point...
you keep telling yourself this, in reality you're putting your values and expecting womankind to adhere to your vision of what a woman should be. you have a third world mentality towards women. women and society have moved on, gender roles in the way you think have been gone for a long time.

Quote:
is it impossible for you and some others to seperate your personal life from the broader community (micro vs macro)

of course, she can do what (or who) she wants without affecting me personally in the least. but all of our actions cumalitively add up to a collective that eventually affects us all...
it is you that can't separate your ideals from the broader community.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:00 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
People are conflating two very different things:

1. How women are portrayed by media.
2. What psychometry studies actually demonstrate.

There was actually a lot more concern in the 1970s and 1980s than now about gender specific behaviour changing or reversing, and that difference isn't down to changing cultural perceptions. The trend saturated very quickly, stabilised in the 1980s, and if anything ostensibly reversed a little with the positive cultural developments of the early 1990s.

This concurs with the substantive evidence (note the Cattell psychometry studies, or the life outcome cohort studies on this in the 1990s) that traditional gender roles have basis in neurobiology. Such findings conclusively refute the common feminist complaint that gender roles are purely social constructs.

There has always been a given proportion of people in a population that has deviated away from these norms of gender specific behaviour. Such people may get greater public exposure nowadays, or be more confident in expressing their differences from the status quo, but our underlying psychometry won't really change without of a top-to-bottom biological redesign of the human brain.

That may take millions of years, assuming we last that long as a species.
You do yourself no favors by buying into that quackery. Psychology and conclusive are mutually exclusive.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Shame? Why the hell should I feel shame? Yes, I've had many partners and I freely admit it. I've enjoyed each and every one of them. This being the only life I get, I intend to grab it by the short and curlies and wring as much fun and satisfaction out of it that I can. I'm not going to bruise my knees saying Hail Marys for forgiveness and I'm not going to drop down weeping on a fainting couch, burning with shame for being a bad, bad girl. It's ridiculous. I embrace my sexuality, not hide it under a bushel.
You sound like someone who is threatened by women with healthy appetites.
Now, THAT'S a shame.
Quote:
case in point...
your reply to weltschmerz shows your third world thinking. weltschmerz describes most women's attitude for decades now. again your values have no bearing on how women get to live their lives.

I asked you before but you didn't answer. Do you hold the same standards for men?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
and you forgot men are now shaving their legs. at least the younger generations.

Quote:
in America...

Women are becoming more aggressive, assertive, and self referenced.

Men are more passive on average.

agree or disagree?

Personally I find it alarming how women are assuming, the more negative, attributes of men! Selfishness, no shame or less in cheating or playing the field and sexually objectifying the opposite sex, decreasing empathy and/or maternal instinct, etc. its just so sad and may have something to do our cultural decline (if you agree that there is any)...

Obviously with women's liberation in this country, women have amassed more power and opportunity, which is great. However, it seems that with the breaking of the shackles and cracking of the glass ceilings; women are starting to perpetrate the very same attributes that they rallied against for so many years.

and please be aware: I'm speaking in macro generalities here regarding women's behavior not their rights in society or social justice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies