Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 AM

600 posts, read 659,702 times

Advertisements

in America...

Women are becoming more aggressive, assertive, and self referenced.

Men are more passive on average.

agree or disagree?

Personally I find it alarming how women are assuming, the more negative, attributes of men! Selfishness, no shame or less in cheating or playing the field and sexually objectifying the opposite sex, decreasing empathy and/or maternal instinct, etc. its just so sad and may have something to do our cultural decline (if you agree that there is any)...

Obviously with women's liberation in this country, women have amassed more power and opportunity, which is great. However, it seems that with the breaking of the shackles and cracking of the glass ceilings; women are starting to perpetrate the very same attributes that they rallied against for so many years.

and please be aware: I'm speaking in macro generalities here regarding women's behavior not their rights in society or social justice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Both men and women are moving away from "traditional" sex roles, which of course means women are in general more "aggressive" than 100 years ago and similarly, men are more "passive". That doesn't mean that men overall aren't still more "quote-unquote manly" than women are and vice versa--just a regression towards the mean.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times
Men now have the weight of law against them everywhere, even in the home, if they aren't passive. Be assertive at work=sexual harrassment these days. Be assertive in the military=courts martial. Be assertive at home=domestic violence. What started out as a quest for equality has turned into a conquest for superiority. And social justice is the law of equal outcomes, not equal opportunity. If one side outperforms the other you hinder them to allow the other to catch up. But yes, to answer your question, I have to agree. Women ARE demonstrating the attributes that they once found so negative in men.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:04 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
it isn't a woman thing or a man thing. all people have the traits. in the past gender roles were more assigned and traditional. the world has moved on. thinking women are just now becoming more assertive is based in a belief that women shouldn't display some personality traits that humans have. the traits being not feminine. thinking women should only act one way to be considered real women is sexist.

the thought, women are equal in most things seems to puzzle the mind of a "traditional" thinking man. it boggles their mind, an independent woman isn't doing what they consider feminine. you want a traditional woman? there are still plenty out there who will allow you to be the "man".

there are plenty of men now who are strong, capable and not threatened by a strong woman. In fact they wouldn't want a woman who wasn't their complete partner.

men getting weaker? please just as there has always been "assertive women" there has always been a "Harvey milk toast"

Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times
I like and want assertive men,but the men are too passive these days,and I think the men like it that way!

Go to the Relationship board and see how many men complain about paying for the first date!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:54 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
in America...

Women are becoming more aggressive, assertive, and self referenced.

Men are more passive on average.

agree or disagree?
What is the basis of this statement? I mean, how do you know that women are become more agressive, assertive, etc. in America?

Facebook’s Sandberg outlines this misconception pretty well:

Sheryl Sandberg likes to ask a question when she speaks publicly, and she uses it to illustrate the gender bias she believes is laced through career and life in America and the world.

“For the men who are here, please raise your hand if you’ve been told you’re too aggressive at work,” she told a crowd of mostly technology-industry women in Minneapolis on Wednesday.

Very few men ever raise their hands on that question, said Sandberg, the Facebook executive who sparked a nationwide discussion of gender and careers with the March release of her bestselling book “Lean In.”

But when she asked how many women had been accused of excessive aggression, hundreds of hands shot up.

“That’s true all over the world,” Sandberg said. “Everywhere in the world, we expect men to be leaders, to make decisions. Everywhere in the world, we expect women to speak when spoken to, to not be as strong, to give to others.”

Women are going a lot better than men (on average) in schools and at work. Statistics like "more women graduating from college" and "girls getting better grades than boys" are becoming the trend. If you ask me, women are not being aggressive enough.

http://www.startribune.com/business/226235601.html

Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it isn't a woman thing or a man thing. all people have the traits. in the past gender roles were more assigned and traditional. the world has moved on. thinking women are just now becoming more assertive is based in a belief that women shouldn't display some personality traits that humans have. the traits being not feminine. thinking women should only act one way to be considered real women is sexist.

the thought, women are equal in most things seems to puzzle the mind of a "traditional" thinking man. it boggles their mind, an independent woman isn't doing what they consider feminine. you want a traditional woman? there are still plenty out there who will allow you to be the "man".

there are plenty of men now who are strong, capable and not threatened by a strong woman. In fact they wouldn't want a woman who wasn't their complete partner.

men getting weaker? please just as there has always been "assertive women" there has always been a "Harvey milk toast"
obviously my personal experiences inform my opinion. dating women, i have found these 'negative' traits to be more and more apparent, particularly with Black women. I deal with the conundrum that I'm a progressive man politically but often look for/ attracted to more traditional women (maternal instinct, not so self referenced, strong sense of personal morality) as far as behavior goes.

but even from a purely platonic perspective; women are just behaving more 'badly' than they used to! many are sexually liberated to the point that they have many partners and freely admit to it! a woman will cheat now, with seemingly no shame! and yes many are just butch and aggressive!

i have no problem being with a 'strong' woman, I want my woman to be strong. but, strong does not mean inherently self referenced and selfish; opportunistic and manipulative!

Does women’s lib ultimately mean that women are meant to imitate men (including some of the worst stereotypical characteristics)?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:05 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times
What so manly about women cheating?

How is cheating and having many partners related to "masculinity"?

I'm confused,and to be honest it doesn't make a lick of sense.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
What is the basis of this statement? I mean, how do you know that women are become more agressive, assertive, etc. in America?

Facebook’s Sandberg outlines this misconception pretty well:

Sheryl Sandberg likes to ask a question when she speaks publicly, and she uses it to illustrate the gender bias she believes is laced through career and life in America and the world.

“For the men who are here, please raise your hand if you’ve been told you’re too aggressive at work,” she told a crowd of mostly technology-industry women in Minneapolis on Wednesday.

Very few men ever raise their hands on that question, said Sandberg, the Facebook executive who sparked a nationwide discussion of gender and careers with the March release of her bestselling book “Lean In.”

But when she asked how many women had been accused of excessive aggression, hundreds of hands shot up.

“That’s true all over the world,” Sandberg said. “Everywhere in the world, we expect men to be leaders, to make decisions. Everywhere in the world, we expect women to speak when spoken to, to not be as strong, to give to others.”

Women are going a lot better than men (on average) in schools and at work. Statistics like "more women graduating from college" and "girls getting better grades than boys" are becoming the trend. If you ask me, women are not being aggressive enough.

Facebook
your question and example affirms my post.

I'm stating that men have always been/behaved like this (aggressive and self referenced), but women are very quickly catching up (from a behavioral perspective).

I have no problem with women catching up when it comes to power, as an aside I was a huge Hillary supporter. However, must this surge in power be accompanied by the same coarse behavior?

and if it does, then do women share the commensurate amount of responsibility that comes with this new found power, the way men traditionally have?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What so manly about women cheating?

How is cheating and having many partners related to "masculinity"?

I'm confused,and to be honest it doesn't make a lick of sense.

we (men) have traditionally cheated and been promiscuous relative to women (not all of us but a whole lot). Nowadays, many women take on the same behavior and often times without shame...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies