U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,129,436 times

Advertisements

You know, I'm still waiting for that guy to knock me out. I looked at the first link in his Googlebomb, and it went to The Heartland Institute. I remain un-outknocked.

Why does the right think "I'd like to see some evidence for your claim" means "I'd like to know what other right-wingers think too."?
Rate this post positively

Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 AM

409 posts, read 564,182 times
The way I see it, in a sane framework:

- the left wing is responsible for society's advancement, progress, evolution, what have you.
- the right wing is there to present a counter-argument to proposed changes, and to help control the pace of advancement.

This would explain why the left wing gets all the glory, and why the right wing often looks terrible when looking through the rear-view mirror.

I view the right-wing as a kind of necessary evil. It slows progress down to a tempo that won't provoke a revolt among society's most rudimentary members. Just imagine what America would look like tomorrow if suddenly: creationism was no longer taught, assault rifles were no longer sold, gays could marry in every state, abortion was legal everywhere, healthcare was universal. It goes without saying, many conservative factions would respond with violence.

The right wing is there to slow progress to a pace that will make the transition go smoothly for the collectivity. Unfortunately, republicans in the 21st century have become too ambitious. They literally want to go backwards - the status quo is no longer something they seek to maintain for most issues.

100 years from now, Americans will look back at the whole tea party era with fascination. I suspect the question on the mind of many 22nd century historians will be ''how did this movement manage to suck in people?'' 'how could it possibly have gained traction?''

Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 AM

25,868 posts, read 15,428,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This thought occurred to me as I was listening to NPR on the way to work. I mean, from workers' rights, women's rights, in the early 20th century, to Social Security, Civil Rights, Voting Rights, Medicare, and now the Affordable Care Act, it seems like they always lose the battles over their implementation. And then they also lose in the court of public opinion. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Any thoughts on why the right never seems to win in the end?

For reference, this is the story I heard on Morning Edition: NPR Media Player

"...................... I was listening to NPR........." "There was a guy on there.......... a good guy.............I think his name was Goebbels. He seems right on the money"!

Gee- I wonder why people call NPR a communist propaganda outlet? It is no wonder that left wingers "think" what they do, if they digest that crap without question.

Quite in contrast to your contention, I do not know of ONE SINGLE EPISODE in which liberals have been right. Let us review-

1. dems opposed civil rights
2. FDR tried to "stack the courts" in order to process his agenda
3. LBJ and the democrat congress looted the social security "trust fund"
4. Kennedy and LBJ started and deepened involvement in Vietnam
5. Ted Kennedy promoted and championed amnesty for illegals (a one time deal)
6. Carter initiated the "fair housing" initiatives, which resulted in the financial meltdown of 2008
7. Liberals eliminated "red lining" further deepening the mess that would become the meltdown of 2008
8. Frank and Dodd mandated Fannie and Freddie make loans to unqualified borrowers
9. NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status- the bastard children of Bill Clinton
10. Expansion of the powers of the EPA outside the jurisdiction of congress, making it a "4th branch of government" which is un-elected and unregulated.
11. "The Stimulus"
12. Opposition to a Balanced Budget Amendment
13. Expansions of entitlements- medicare, medicaid and social security with no adequate funding long term
14. Obamacare
15. Opposition to energy expansion on federal lands
16. Opposition to the Keystone pipeline
17. Political correctness
18. Expansion of the teacher's union: increased "administrators"/teacher ratio from 1:25 to 1:4
19. Expansion of the drug culture
20. Expansion of WIC- promoting the destruction of the two parent family
21. Condemning Christianity while supporting the oppressive and violent religion of Islam
22. Opposition to profiling criminals
23. The ACLU and Southern Poverty Law Center
24. Increased corporate and individual taxes
25. Opposition to national right to work act
26. Supporting spying on US citizens via drones
27. Supporting the IRS attacking conservatives for thier views
28. Denying dissenting opinions on college campuses (barring ROTC, military recruiters, and conservative speakers), thus opposing 1st amendment rights
29. Opposition to the 2nd Amendment
30. Support of "The Fairness Doctrine" in an effort to suppress opposition radio programs
31. Expansion of the powers of the Trial Lawyer's Association and class action suits

Just off the top of my head. The only thing I can think of that liberals have ever done right was helping to curb pollution in the 1960s by forming the EPA. However, that organization has "gone rogue" and is now used as a political weapon to curb economic development and punish business. So even that "good thing" has gone astray.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,154,151 times
Quote:
This thought occurred to me as I was listening to NPR on the way to work. I mean, from workers' rights, women's rights, in the early 20th century, to Social Security, Civil Rights, Voting Rights, Medicare, and now the Affordable Care Act, it seems like they always lose the battles over their implementation. And then they also lose in the court of public opinion. It's an interesting phenomenon.

I would argue they have won.

Workers' rights, women's rights, civil rights, voting rights--all the gains made by liberals and leftists in all these areas during the 20th century have been severely eroded by right-wing extremists over the past few decades. Workers' rights, in particular, have been almost completely obliterated; joining or forming a union nowadays is nearly impossible in this country. Over 90% of US counties have no abortion providers, and groups like Planned Parenthood are under constant attack. Affirmative action barely exists and school segregation rates are as high now as they were in the 1950s. At the state level, the GOP is using phony charges of "voter fraud" to disenfranchise more and more people.

The only area where liberals are winning right now is with gay rights. Other than that, the right is completely winning...

Old 10-08-2013, 09:01 AM

46,038 posts, read 32,691,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Of course I don't,, thank god there is not a search engine like Google in existence..oh wait. john c. lester was democrat and he was the guy who founded the Klan, also the KKK used funds and man power to elect Follow Democrats to office..

its ok maybe you can learn history instead of the indoctrination you learned in public school.
I guess that means every Democrat has been a member of the KKK. Again, learn your history because it is clear you don't understand the divide with the Southern Democrats that are now called Southern Republicans.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 AM

46,038 posts, read 32,691,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sounds like you may be the one in need of some education... And not that sissy nanny left wing crap they're spoon feeding folks in the colleges these days. Had it not been for the republicans, Biden wouldn't have suggested that "they're gonna lock yall back in chains", because "they" would have never escaped to begin with.

The only difference is the democrats are more secretive about their true motives. Maybe you should take a look at the planned parenthood locations like gunlover suggested. Compelling evidence that's difficult to ignore.

Democrats simply want to keep a check on AA's, to keep them under their thumb. It's the new age plantation. AA's are voting for their own demise when they elect these racists.
From your lack of knowledge with history, I suggest you should look into taking some classes at the nearest community college.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,259,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Conservatives have some valid points on solvency and size of big government. This is where liberals have some drawbacks, as they spend too freely and encourage a lot of debt.

Liberals have some valid points on things like civil rights. This is where conservatives tend to have drawbacks, as they more often tend to be the refuge for racists, bigots, and xenophobes.

The best solution is to be a moderate. Truth and practical policy usually meet in the middle, not at the extremes.
Quite right. Or to put it another way, moderation in all things, including moderation.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,837,537 times
Quote:

Damn! you mean we were on the wrong side of history when we approved of civil rights, and prevented the left wing democrats from stopping them?

DAMN! I learn something new every day!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,369,361 times
Quote:
No, they were Constitutional Conservatives, not the Neo Conservatives..
You make a good point.
In the old days, the terms, conservative and Liberal had an entirely different meaning, than are in use today.

Nevertheless, the Republican Party of the 19th Century was the progressive party.

In the sixties, the Southern Democrats were still the old line, who opposed change.
In those days, the Republican Party represented the Unionists and Carpetbaggers to the Southern mind. Only Damn Yankees were Republicans in the South.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:41 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,426,760 times
Quote:
Why does the Left lie about the Republican party being on the wrong side of history?

The Republican party Abolished slavery

The Republican party Pass the 1964 Civil rights Act, which was passed on a similar bill they tried to pass in 1960 and 3 years before in 1957.

Mean while the left wants to eviscerate the 2nd Amendment, reward illegal immigrates which amnesty and the ability to vote(I wonder which party they will choose), and paint anyone who stands in their way as "Racist" "Nazis" or "Domestic Terrorist"

Why does the Left lie about History, their will, and their intent? is it because no sane person would vote for them?(but then again that might be we they are importing 30,000,000 million illegals on top of 1.2,000,000 legal immigrated, to "Cast ballots Americans just are not willing to cast")

What is your take on this..
It's been a bad two weeks for the right. Being hammered and on its heels. It's only gonna get harder. Oct 17th is just a few days away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.