Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 09:46 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times

Advertisements

to the OP. because the only care what popular opinion thinks and cannot actually think
for themselves.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Because their conservative social and religious views force progress to take a backseat to tradition.

It doesnt matter if the conservatives were/are called democrats, republicans, or whigs.
I appreciate that you don't link the militarism, corporate cronyism, police state, domestic spying or any of that with Conservatism. Those things are absolutely "progressive" in nature which is why you guys embrace it.

You make it clear that what really irks you are their religious beliefs. I don't condone bigotry against people due to their religious beliefs though. While I'm not religious, I believe in people's right to religion just as much as I do in people's rights to marry who they like, say unpopular things or own a gun.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
You're talking in circles, what does this even mean? The Republicans were formed by the anti-slavery Democrats who broke away & joined the Whigs to create the Republican party. Who does that leave in the Democratic party if the anti-slavery wing left?

I get it though, you win or you win because you change the rules depending. When the Republicans do something stupid it's because they're Republicans & their party is bad. When the Democrats do something stupid it's because of "right wingers", who're actually Republicans within the Democratic party & that is no reflection on the Democrats. Nice trick, but it's just that, a trick.
No. I "win" b/c I understand that Conservative and Liberal are points along an ideological spectrum. If you oppose the expansion of rights and freedoms to those that don't have them, then you're Conservative. If you support the expansion of rights and freedoms to those that don't have them, then you're Liberal. Party names are just marketing gimmicks of the time; they aren't anchored to any points on that ideological spectrum.

That's why I'm asking you whether Lincoln's Republicans were the Liberals or Conservatives of their time. Were they the party that fought to expand rights and freedoms, or were they party that fought to limit them?

And how does that compare to today's Republican agenda?

Last edited by EddieB.Good; 10-08-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
The political right in America is firmly lodged in a collective psychology which resists, and even abhors change. The dissonance arises when they are forced to confront the reality that the world, and those who occupy it, are in a constant state of flux. It is typically more important to them to impede change in regards to a given issue, than it is for them to engage in a moral and intellectual analysis of that issue.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:38 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
The way I see it, in a sane framework:

- the left wing is responsible for society's advancement, progress, evolution, what have you.
- the right wing is there to present a counter-argument to proposed changes, and to help control the pace of advancement.

This would explain why the left wing gets all the glory, and why the right wing often looks terrible when looking through the rear-view mirror.

I view the right-wing as a kind of necessary evil. It slows progress down to a tempo that won't provoke a revolt among society's most rudimentary members. Just imagine what America would look like tomorrow if suddenly: creationism was no longer taught, assault rifles were no longer sold, gays could marry in every state, abortion was legal everywhere, healthcare was universal. It goes without saying, many conservative factions would respond with violence.

The right wing is there to slow progress to a pace that will make the transition go smoothly for the collectivity. Unfortunately, republicans in the 21st century have become too ambitious. They literally want to go backwards - the status quo is no longer something they seek to maintain for most issues.

100 years from now, Americans will look back at the whole tea party era with fascination. I suspect the question on the mind of many 22nd century historians will be ''how did this movement manage to suck in people?'' 'how could it possibly have gained traction?''
That might be true, if it wasn't the right who brought about civil rights, while the left was trying to block them.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
That might be true, if it wasn't the right who brought about civil rights, while the left was trying to block them.
Thank you for trying to dumb down history to the length of a twitter post. You forgot the hashtag though.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
So now party doesn't matter? All the crap the Democrats are responsible for can just be shrugged off as "those were actually right wingers"? That's a nice trick!
It's not a trick genius. Parties change platforms. Democrats were the ultra conservatives of the Civil Rights era. Open a history book.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
Quote:
I appreciate that you don't link the militarism, corporate cronyism, police state, domestic spying or any of that with Conservatism. Those things are absolutely "progressive" in nature which is why you guys embrace it.

You make it clear that what really irks you are their religious beliefs. I don't condone bigotry against people due to their religious beliefs though. While I'm not religious, I believe in people's right to religion just as much as I do in people's rights to marry who they like, say unpopular things or own a gun.
1. Don't pretend you know anything about my social/political values.

2. You're right about the cronyism, militarism, police/surveillance state, but I think we both know these things dont change when the party in power does. I'm not, nor do I think most Democrats are, happy with the Obama presidency. But in the land of the two party system, it was either this or Romney, and American voters hedged.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:54 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This thought occurred to me as I was listening to NPR on the way to work. I mean, from workers' rights, women's rights, in the early 20th century, to Social Security, Civil Rights, Voting Rights, Medicare, and now the Affordable Care Act, it seems like they always lose the battles over their implementation. And then they also lose in the court of public opinion. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Any thoughts on why the right never seems to win in the end?

For reference, this is the story I heard on Morning Edition: NPR Media Player

You will be on the wrong side of history when it comes to our debt, deficit and fiscal matters.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
You will be on the wrong side of history when it comes to our debt, deficit and fiscal matters.
So will Conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies