U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,133,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This thought occurred to me as I was listening to NPR on the way to work. I mean, from workers' rights, women's rights, in the early 20th century, to Social Security, Civil Rights, Voting Rights, Medicare, and now the Affordable Care Act, it seems like they always lose the battles over their implementation. And then they also lose in the court of public opinion. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Any thoughts on why the right never seems to win in the end?

For reference, this is the story I heard on Morning Edition: NPR Media Player
because we don't like whiney war mongers.. Wilson FDR JFK LBJ Carter, Clinton etc..... it's time the left PAY UP..

You spent too much now pay up lefty's only..
Rate this post positively

Old 10-07-2013, 05:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 24,133,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Maybe because "winning" as a conservative is stopping something from happening, so you don't hear of a conservative victory because the huge monumental change didn't happen, which, historically is not notable.
Like the abomination ACA aka O'Bummercare

Old 10-07-2013, 05:32 PM

28,565 posts, read 16,691,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
maybe because usually one is not one without being another. Its like a chinese resturant menu, pick from side A and from side B, and you have a conservative.
Well, if a Christian conservative tried to use the federal government to push their religion, for example by making birth control pills and all abortions illegal under federal law, Constitutional Conservatives would oppose them.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:33 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,139,544 times
little acorn is correct. I'm a liberal and I always lie. Always.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:33 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,249,899 times
Default Why is the Right Wing Always on the Wrong Side of History

The fact that the question is asked that way shows me that the OP doesn't know his/her history or even what history is. The right may not be winning in the court of public opinion right now but that doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. History is, by definition, always a look-back. It's made in the now but evaluated and graded in the future.

Might I suggest you study history a bit, especially eras during which the country flourished , the dollar was strong and the middle class thrived? Then link them to political affiliations of the administrations in office during those times.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 15,857,312 times
Quote:
This thought occurred to me as I was listening to NPR on the way to work. I mean, from workers' rights, women's rights, in the early 20th century, to Social Security, Civil Rights, Voting Rights, Medicare, and now the Affordable Care Act, it seems like they always lose the battles over their implementation. And then they also lose in the court of public opinion. It's an interesting phenomenon.

For reference, this is the story I heard on Morning Edition: NPR Media Player
Why? Because you're getting your info from (literally) state-controlled media.

The right has often been on the right side of history. Ronald Reagan and the Cold War might be the best example. When he came into office in 1980, virtually no one believed that the Cold War could be won.
Predictions of Soviet collapse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yet Reagan had a vision, pursued it, and freed millions from totalitarian bondage. All without firing a shot.

The civil rights struggle was convoluted, and it is simplistic to argue that the left was right and the right was wrong. It was Eisenhower who sent in the troops to Little Rock to enforce Brown vs. Board of Education. It was liberal J. William Fulbright who was in opposition. The far left communist sympathizers supported civil rights for their own reasons, but the mainstream Democratic party did not.

I would question whether being for medicare was the right side of history. The initial cost estimates ended up being multiplied by a factor of about 10.
Health Care Reform Cost Estimates: What is the Track Record? | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation

As for Obama care it is way to early to tell who is on the wrong side of history, but it's not looking good for Obama.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...re-doomed-fail

Last edited by wutitiz; 10-07-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM

15,721 posts, read 10,774,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
You do realize it was southern dems who were against civil rights and it was the partyof lincoln (reps) who was against slavery.
You do realize the OP said Right vs. Left, not Dem vs. Repub right? Southern Democrats were ultra right wing conservatives during the Civil Rights era.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM

9,885 posts, read 6,312,805 times
Quote:

Yes ... I have a thought based on facts. The facts are, there is no "real" conservatives holding any power whatsoever, and that has been true for a long as you and I have been alive. We have had NOTHING but leftists dominating policy for the past 100 years ... they have been running the show ... the left-right paradigm is a false creation of theirs that really doesn't exist. This is merely a means for the politicos to blame "the other side" when the public gets riled up ... then the public blames each other for all of the problems, rather than the criminals themselves.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 PM

28,565 posts, read 16,691,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Why? Because you're getting your info from (literally) state-controlled media.

The right has often been on the right side of history. Ronald Reagan and the Cold War might be the best example. When he came into office in 1980, virtually no one believed that the Cold War could be won.

Yet Reagan had a vision, pursued it, and freed millions from totalitarian bondage. All without firing a shot.

The civil rights struggle was convoluted, and it is simplistic to argue that the left was right and the right was wrong. It was Eisenhower who sent in the troops to Little Rock to enforce Brown vs. Board of Education. It was liberal J. William Fulbright who was in opposition. The far left communist sympathizers supported civil rights for their own reasons, but the mainstream Democratic party did not.

I would question whether being for medicare was the right side of history. The initial cost estimates ended up being multiplied by a factor of about 10.

As for Obama care it is way to early to tell who is on the wrong side of history, but it's not looking good for Obama.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...re-doomed-fail
Eisenhower also tried to get the Civil Rights Act of 1957 passed, but segregationist democrats successfully filibustered it. Of course, I'm fairly sure the OP is ignorant of that fact.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 PM

215 posts, read 276,446 times
If conservatives favor tradition, what is a more traditional institution than marriage? Liberals claim that marriage rights for LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender), is the civil rights issue of their generation, while at the same time refusing to acknowledge the importance of marriage for poor and minority babies born out of wedlock?

Also, when prayer was removed from public schools in the 1960s, did Christians take to the streets and riot and burn their own towns and cities as a form of protest, when a right was taken from them? No. If they don't like it, they pay taxes and then homeschool their children or send them to private schools.

Most conservatives just fall in line, salute, and move on once a decision has been made. They tend to be more respectful of hierarchy and authority, even if they don't agree.

The reaction you are seeing from conservatives about Obomacare aka ACA, is the underhanded way the President gave waivers to his select groups after the law was passed and upheld by the Supreme Court, but he continued with the mandate for weaker individual citizens. ACA will not work without the mandate. Based on the website healthcare.gov, it really wasn't ready for prime time. Obama refused to wait to work out the kinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.