Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 05:42 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,212,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I wonder how many of those Tea Party seniors are going continue to support them when they realize that many of those House reps they love so much think not raising the debt ceiling would be a good thing? Like this, from Tea Party backed Rep. Ted Yoho:

"I think, personally, [not raising the debt ceiling]would bring stability to the world markets since they would be assured that the United States had moved decisively to curb its debt."

Talk about throwing your own base under the bus. Who does he think is going to support him if the seniors lose their benefits?
Why do so many of you idots think the 'Tea Party' is only made up of seniors? I know many younger people involved in the 'Tea Party' movement; people who make robo calls, work for candidates, and do a lot of the work for the Republican Party. They work hard to get conservatives elected, and do a lot of the "heavy lifting." Get a clue.

I guess you like your spin though, becaues it fits well with your propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,220,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why do so many of you idots think the 'Tea Party' is only made up of seniors? I know many younger people involved in the 'Tea Party' movement; people who make robo calls, work for candidates, and do a lot of the work for the Republican Party. They work hard to get conservatives elected, and do a lot of the "heavy lifting." Get a clue.

I guess you like your spin though, becaues it fits well with your propaganda.
Don't insult millennials by lumping them in with the TP. The TP is is basically old, white, men.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
OMG, we have a Leftist complaining about wealth transfer??? Amazing! And, what is ObamaCare?
An abomination that lowers the deficit.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:03 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,446,331 times
I don't know much about the debt and how all that works. but I do know that spending on credit is not a good thing. that will come back to bite us one day.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:10 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,346,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Good article. If they are terrified on a .003 rise what will they think in the future when interest rates will rise? And the interest will rise as the author pointed out investors will demand better returns.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I don't know much about the debt and how all that works. but I do know that spending on credit is not a good thing. that will come back to bite us one day.
In the long run we do have debt problems, but those problems can all be traced to Medicare and the underlying health care costs. Unlike SS, Medicare relies on deficit spending to operate, so as Medical costs rise everything else gets crowed out.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,796,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Maybe this can help ...

Why the debt ceiling isn't your family budget - Video on NBCNews.com

Old 10-09-2013, 06:56 AM

17,385 posts, read 11,906,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Ah, there actually isn't. With current levels of taxing and spending we can't fund mandatory spending without taking on more debt even if all discretionary spending was cut to zero, and that includes social security among other things. Granted he could prioritize what to spend on, but at least one of the mandatory programs would need to take a hit and if he wants it to be SS, it will be (that's assuming treasury is capable of prioritizing payments, which none of us on the outside really know one way or the other).
There is, if we would cut out the fraud in those programs. And yes, it would take prioritizing. But to say we don't have enough money is a lie.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:10 AM

77,827 posts, read 60,003,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
While the Demopublicans play their schoolyard games retirees/seniors face the very real possibility of not receiving their Social Security checks.

Isn't it about time we elected mature individuals that would represent the full spectrum of Americans rather than the just the rich? In the meantime our Congress needs a trip out back behind the woodshed for an dam good ass whipping.

Debt Ceiling Brinkmanship Puts Social Security Checks At Risk
You got trolled by a partisan opinion piece. Thinkprogress? Gee, what's next a Rush Limbaugh newsletter?

Bet you a week of not posting here that they don't miss a check. Any takers?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 PM

374 posts, read 719,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'm really trying hard to resist the urge to hate you.
It will be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies