Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
I am anti-military industrial complex, but how can anybody speak like that amongst the generation that preserved this nation. These weren't dumb men. Back then, it was common to have ivy leaguers fight in War, as there was a sense of shared sacrifice. Even amongst the most liberal of people, many of them concede that ww2 was a justified war. My grandfather was college educated and had bullets fly over his head in the European arena. Maher is just an ungreatful, shallow, person who is concerned only about himself.
I heard he once introduced his date as "my hole." What I don't understand is why someone would let that man anywhere near them. What a douchebag!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 07:56 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

He's a comedian, and comedians always make fun of others ... in jest. As for the WWII folks who showed up at the monument, they're not entitled to anything more than the rest of the U.S. Citizens are. They should have turned-on the idiot Congressmen kissing their asses and demanded a stop to the anti-American activities of those Congressment. They served the country, thse vets, and we should all thank them for that ... now it's time to stop demanding special favors for ever and ever.
Yeah, the National Mall isn't for us regular U.S. Citizens! But if you're an illegal alien wanting to demand immigration reform, come on down!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I saw that. Pretty sure he was mocking Michelle B.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
That is interesting, I've never read anything about prisoners being shipped from Europe to Africa or Africa to Europe. This is the first I've heard of it. I'm not denying it happened and would like to learn more.
Her father was a radio man on a bomber outfit in Africa. He flew a couple missions with Doolittle........or so he siad. LOL. He liked to talk a lot about Doolittle though so I don't know. He was shot down, lost his leg actually too. German doctor actually amputated it as others said to just let him die. After he healed up they sent him to Italy and he kept getting moved to France then over to Germany I believe and Austria. He received a second purple heart for getting badly injuried in an allied bombing raid by the Brits I think in Austria. My wife knows all the exact details. Took him years to get that second purple heart because all the details of the raid had been classified for so long.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Veterans of ALL wars went through the same thing. So what?

I won't even begin to address what black WW2 vets had to endure from their OWN SIDE!

We're having a shutdown, and everyone....even war veterans should feel the effects of it just like everyone else has to.
So what? That is all you have to say? That is all the respect you give WWII vets?? The shutdown is a joke just like the sequester. Our grand leader is doing everything is his power to TRY and make folks feel pain when he doesn't have to. It's pathetic and so is your attituded towards WWII veterans. They deserve the utmost respect. Is that why you don't respect WWII vets because you think the black vets got a bad shake? Are you thinking Obama is "sticking it to em" now and laughing or something?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Bill Maher is not a libertarian, but there's nothing fundamentally inconsistent with being libertarian and anti-military. In fact, the two positions are, imo, perfectly consonant.

The "greatest generation" concept is a lot of bunk and Maher has made some remarks in the past indicating he believes in it, so I'm happy to see he's reconsidered.
I do believe when one says they are Libertarian and then says stuff like this makes others wonder just what the hell does a Libertarian stand for. Seems Libertarians lean either left or right.

By the way Maher is just plain dumb and gross!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:43 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

He's a comedian, and comedians always make fun of others ... in jest. As for the WWII folks who showed up at the monument, they're not entitled to anything more than the rest of the U.S. Citizens are. They should have turned-on the idiot Congressmen kissing their asses and demanded a stop to the anti-American activities of those Congressment. They served the country, thse vets, and we should all thank them for that ... now it's time to stop demanding special favors for ever and ever.
Yet comedians like Lucille Ball, Jerry Lee, Steve Martin, Don Rickles, Red Foxx and Robin Williams all much funnier never had to go this low to get a laugh. It's called just have respect for those who have done NOTHING to hurt him.

Makes me wonder what kind of people would go this low, I'm sure it's people who by day "think" they should help others, but by night enjoy "trashing" others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Veterans of ALL wars went through the same thing. So what?

I won't even begin to address what black WW2 vets had to endure from their OWN SIDE!

We're having a shutdown, and everyone....even war veterans should feel the effects of it just like everyone else has to.
UHHH NO, illegals got to rally!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
True, we arent a protected class and I dont think we aim to be.
Maybe not you or I but many veterans feel entitled. It's sickening.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Maybe not you or I but many veterans feel entitled. It's sickening.
As they should feel. You folks are who are sickening. Holding back any spit are we for the dead bodies coming home?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
As they should feel. You folks are who are sickening. Holding back any spit are we for the dead bodies coming home?
This kind of entitlement is sickening. Veterans are not special people. When I was deployed, I certainly didn't have this expectation that I was better than a doctor of firefighter saving lives at home or even better than a social worker making sure that children had families. It's the worst of my fellow veterans that have this sickening level of entitlement. It actually degrades them even after they've served for this nation.

We serve because we're proud. That's where it ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies