Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I was curious what the left's plan is to pay down our debt and get the fiscal house in order. Oh, sure you can cut defense spending, but a few hundred billion will have to come from somewhere else, notably entitlements, social security payments and welfare.

While Democrats have a point that the GOP doesn't have a plan, I have yet to hear a viable plan from the left. You can't raise taxes but so much, and, sure, there's about $400 billion to cut in the DoD, in my opinion. But you'll still have a few hundred billion left and the only place to cut is that elephant in the room: welfare, social security and entitlements. They have to be placed on the table eventually, but I'm not sure Democrats are prepared to anger their base.
Republican tax cuts for the rich and wasteful republican military spending caused our debt.

(dem) Carter had no major deficits/debt.
(rep) Reagan had huge deficits/debt from lowering rich peoples taxes and wasteful military spending.
(rep) GHW Bush was against tax cuts for the rich so he lowered Reagans debt.
(dem) Clinton reversed Reagans tax cuts and he had surpluses.
(rep) GW Bush gave rich people tax cuts and and attacked Iraq for nothing and exploded our debt.
(dem) Obama has cut GW Bushs debt growth rate in half.

http://www.skymachines.com/US-Nation...ental-Term.htm

And a republican complaining about debt is the dumbest thing on the planet. The republicans voted for Mitt Romney and his $5 - $6 trillion dollar tax cut for corporations and the rich (that would have added $5-$6 trillion dollars to our national debt.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reported a continued decline in the federal budget deficit: “The CBO projects a $642 billion budget deficit for fiscal year 2013, down more than $200 billion from its February estimate and the smallest annual shortfall since 2008. It is the lowest level of deficit spending to date under President Obama, who faced $1 trillion or more in annual deficits during his first term.”

Here’s a real bitter irony for the GOP. At the same time as their ideology took an ugly beating in the reality department, the man they are determined to destroy has a better record at deficit reduction than any of their recent Presidents. In fact, government spending under President Obama has grown at a slower rate than it did under any president since Dwight D. Eisenhower, according to Bloomberg (that’s over 50 years ago, if you’re counting). Ironically, this fact is due in part to their own obstructionism and President Obama’s endless compromises with them.

GOP Whips Up Scandals to Avoid Facing Obama's 'Most Rapid Deficit Reduction since WWII'

Old 10-08-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Grow the economy and the debt will take care of itself.
You want to grow the economy with things like this,

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

But the problem is that whole $6.6 trillion dollars gets added to our national debt. And the rich and large corporations use that money to build US factories in China.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
You want to grow the economy with things like this,

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

But the problem is that whole $6.6 trillion dollars gets added to our national debt. And the rich and large corporations use that money to build US factories in China.
I have a feeling that you misunderstood the poster. I don't think that he was endorsing trickle down crap.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reported a continued decline in the federal budget deficit: “The CBO projects a $642 billion budget deficit for fiscal year 2013, down more than $200 billion from its February estimate and the smallest annual shortfall since 2008. It is the lowest level of deficit spending to date under President Obama, who faced $1 trillion or more in annual deficits during his first term.”

Here’s a real bitter irony for the GOP. At the same time as their ideology took an ugly beating in the reality department, the man they are determined to destroy has a better record at deficit reduction than any of their recent Presidents. In fact, government spending under President Obama has grown at a slower rate than it did under any president since Dwight D. Eisenhower, according to Bloomberg (that’s over 50 years ago, if you’re counting). Ironically, this fact is due in part to their own obstructionism and President Obama’s endless compromises with them.

GOP Whips Up Scandals to Avoid Facing Obama's 'Most Rapid Deficit Reduction since WWII'
I wonder if republicans,

a. Ignore and don't read posts like yours.
b. Read posts like yours but can't comprehend them.
c. Read posts like yours and then laugh (thinking its just lies spread by the communists Fox news tells them about.)

I wonder if its a, b, or c ??

Last edited by chad3; 10-08-2013 at 08:36 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
At the same time as their ideology took an ugly beating in the reality department, the man they are determined to destroy has a better record at deficit reduction than any of their recent Presidents.
No one can be dumb enough to believe that..

Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I wonder if republicans,

a. Ignore and don't read posts like yours.
b. Read posts like yours and then laugh (thinking its just lies spread by the communists Fox news tells them about.)
c. Read posts like yours but can't comprehend them.

I wonder if its a, b, or c ??
Or D, we actually understand that if you grow the deficits to larger than any other president in history, until you cant raise them any higher, thus of course the dam things going to fall year after year..

I'm only wondering how the hell Democrats can proclaim Bush deficits crashed the economy, while then high 5ng ones under Obama, which are FIVE TIMES LARGER..

And then I figure out how the hell this country got into the financial mess that we're in, its that people like you BELIEVE THIS CRAP.. and you're voters....

Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling that you misunderstood the poster. I don't think that he was endorsing trickle down crap.
How else do you grow the economy? Clearly trillion dollar deficits arent working, and your doomsday senario that the economy will crash if the sequster passed, hasnt come true, so is there anything you say that actually has one bit of economic truth to it, because I havent seen it..

Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Inflation.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No one can be dumb enough to believe that..
U.S. Deficit Shrinking At Fastest Pace Since WWII, Before Fiscal Cliff - Investors.com

Obama's record on deficit reduction - Apr. 9, 2013

Barack Obama, "Big Spender," Reduces Deficit at Fastest Rate Since Post World War II | The People's View

Bob Cesca: Repeat After Me: Obama Cut the Deficit and Slowed Spending to Lowest Level in 50 Years

And if you don't believe the above sources just look at official government records. Its easy to see how Obama is shrinking the deficits and debt he inherited from GW Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies