Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times

Advertisements

Is it time to do away with the stock market?

Publicly traded companies are nothing more than gigantic Ponzi schemes. They help the rich get richer at the expense of others not to mention that since board members have to report to stockholders, they will do anything to cut costs including off-shoring jobs and other "creative" ways of accounting.

We would be better off with only private companies that sought to do business the best way possible including taking care of their employees and producing better goods. The better the product you sell, the more people will buy and the better for free market capitalism. A private company would reduce government involvement by eliminating the need for the SEC (which is a massive failure in itself). Getting the government out is the best thing for everyone.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
We would be better off with only private companies that sought to do business the best way possible including taking care of their employees and producing better goods. The better the product you sell, the more people will buy and the better for free market capitalism. A private company would reduce government involvement by eliminating the need for the SEC (which is a massive failure in itself). Getting the government out is the best thing for everyone.

Any thoughts?
Yes, my ring finger is broken so perhaps I should cut off my arm...any thoughts?

There are a myriad of problems with Wall Street, but the fact remains, that without the ability to issue shares where in the hell will companies find the necessary capital to produce goods and services?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:30 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yes, my ring finger is broken so perhaps I should cut off my arm...any thoughts?

There are a myriad of problems with Wall Street, but the fact remains, that without the ability to issue shares where in the hell will companies find the necessary capital to produce goods and services?
Private investors? Venture capital? It would certainly weed out some of the sucker businesses.

Just think of this scenario too, we are goin gthrough health care hell right now with Obamacare. Making an insurance company private would do wonders for healthcare costs. No more bottom line reporting, maybe eliminating health insurance except for catastrophic cases. Getting medicine back to more privatized personal care and more importantly getting the government out of medicine!

Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:

Publicly traded companies are nothing more than gigantic Ponzi schemes. They help the rich get richer at the expense of others not to mention that since board members have to report to stockholders, they will do anything to cut costs including off-shoring jobs and other "creative" ways of accounting.

Any thoughts?
Before anything happened to Wall Street, you'd need to herd all of the lobbyists out of DC, that's where you need to start.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
How are publicly traded companies Ponzi schemes? When I buy shares in a company, I buy them on the open market from someone who has shares to sell. Not one cent of the money I pay for a stock goes to the company (unless it is the IPO). The entity that sold the shares I bought may or may not have made any money. If I sell shares, the opposite occurs. Again the company sees none of the funds. There is no Ponzi-like process where the new buyer's funds are used to benefit earlier investors.

That Apple is a public company has little impact on its product development. Same with Google. Or Exxon.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Ummm... from investors.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
We don't need to do away with it. We just need to cut off the massive welfare programs currently propping it up.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Time to put a stop to the Federal Reserve and their self deemed "too big to fail" banks and issue debt free currency.

The Federal Reserve is the Ponzi scheme.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Private investors? Venture capital? It would certainly weed out some of the sucker businesses.

Just think of this scenario too, we are goin gthrough health care hell right now with Obamacare. Making an insurance company private would do wonders for healthcare costs. No more bottom line reporting, maybe eliminating health insurance except for catastrophic cases. Getting medicine back to more privatized personal care and more importantly getting the government out of medicine!
You honestly want to rely on VC and angels for retirement funds now? Those are by far the riskiest asset class a person can invest in. You are honestly saying you want a 70 year old retiree to put their money in a VC firm instead of a heavily fixed income portfolio? The standard deviation of an average private equity portfolio is nearly double that of a stock portfolio, and is 10 times more risky than a bond portfolio. How on earth would making an insurance company private drive down costs? Costs would decrease if the government didn't regulate the number of residency slots a hospital has or didn't prevent insurance from being sold across state lines.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:24 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Okay. Go ahead and close down American stock markets. After the ensuing financial collapse of epic proportions, companies are just going to raise funds overseas. So what have you accomplished?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies