Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 11:53 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That would be a valid point if the OP was ever GOP. By his own words (which I posted upthread), he's a democrat. For me, I have no patience for someone trying to lecture the GOP about why he's supposedly leaving the party when he never belonged to the GOP.
Why do you find it so diificult to swallow when the absolute truth is pointed out? The GOP does not need a lecture, it would be a waste of time. You cannot alter the mind of people wit an anti-social condition/disease. The only thing they will understand is the azz whoopin' they will get at election time.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I have no idea what the OP's political leanings have been over the years, but I do know this: For about the past 20 years I've worked with a man who is now 70. When we first met, based on things he said, I considered him a staunch Reagan Republican. He is white, relatively wealthy, well-educated and very well respected in the community. Over the past several years we've had several conversations where he's been very critical of the right wing of the Republican party and speaks favorably of Obama. He has commented that he used to be conservative but the party has moved to the right and left him behind. Just yesterday he said that the shutdown was awful because it's unfair to ask people who are trying to make a living to work without pay.

Whether you believe it or not, the Tea Party wing of the Republican party has alienated many of its previously loyal followers. You can keep your head in the sand and the Democrats will keep winning elections.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why do you find it so diificult to swallow when the absolute truth is pointed out? The GOP does not need a lecture, it would be a waste of time. You cannot alter the mind of people wit an anti-social condition/disease. The only thing they will understand is the azz whoopin' they will get at election time.
Why do democrats feel the need to pretend to be GOP to make an argument? Pretty weak move. If it was such 'absolute truth', then why did the OP feel the need to lie about being in the GOP?

In case you missed it...

//www.city-data.com/forum/28202641-post1.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
What made you lean whichever direction you do?

I'll start....I'm very liberal on most issues with exception to environmental regulations. I grew up in southwest virginia in Appalachian coal country. My grandparents, great grandparents and parents were/are involved in coal. The UMWA was very influential in shaping safer work environments for my family members. Coal is such an integral part of the economy in Appalachia and strict environmental regulations are detrimental to their employment. I consider myself very much a labor democrat.

What shapes your beliefs?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:56 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end. Since i'm a huge fan of lists I've decided to expound upon why I belive the party is a shell of it's former self.

1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.

2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.

3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.

4). Reaganomics is a joke.

5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.

6). The military really doesn't need to be this large.

7). It's blind aversion to scienfitic consensus.

8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.

9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.

10). They're war mongerers when their guy is in office...peacenics when the other guy is.

Other reasons exist but these are the primary ones that are leading to me taking off my bumper stickers and withdrawing my name from the GOP call lists. Enjoy your journey into mediocrity.

I figured most of this out in 2005. The GOP was lost years ago. Most of the Dems in the House and Senate are moderates as is the party for that matter. I've voted with the GOP more often than not in my lifetime, but the GOP of the last 5 years or so has gone off the rails. The far Right will be it's downfall if party leaders don't do something.

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That would be a valid point if the OP was ever GOP. By his own words (which I posted upthread), he's a democrat. For me, I have no patience for someone trying to lecture the GOP about why he's supposedly leaving the party when he never belonged to the GOP.

Yes, why do they do this? It's a very common phenomenon among lefties, to the point where Limbaugh coined a term for it: "seminar callers."

It would never occur to me to post "why I'm leaving the Democratic party," and then list a bunch of standard right-wing talking points against Dems. Anyone have a theory as to why they do it?

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I dont care if there are two parties or 6, long as they work for the people and the nations good, I dont see that anymore and think some of them bullys,,, glad you are out and not alone- most just NOT saying.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yes, why do they do this? It's a very common phenomenon among lefties, to the point where Limbaugh coined a term for it: "seminar callers."

It would never occur to me to post "why I'm leaving the Democratic party," and then list a bunch of standard right-wing talking points against Dems. Anyone have a theory as to why they do it?
I have NO idea. I was wondering the same thing. If the OP had a point to make, why try and pretend to be something he is not? Did he think, somehow, it would make the GOP look weak or some other such nonsense if he claimed to be one of them? It really just makes his argument weak because he was caught lying.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM

600 posts, read 660,115 times
one only needs to look at the Supreme Court to verify the rightward and downward spiral of the Republican party!

several Republican appointees came to be known as liberal justices even though they were considered mianstream conservatives at one point.

the current repug pathology laden idealogy is becomming ever darker and more concentrated in hate and nihilism...

Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
I love it...the solution is the RINO label.

Again...this is why you people are losing national elections and will continue to do so. The party of old is gone like the wind and you guys are riding this sinking ship into oblivion. Enjoy your journey...it's going to be bumpy.
Such an optimist. They're not going to disappear, their just going to do what they did after the torturer Bush's joke of an Administration: deny it ever happened. "Bush? Bush who? Oh, him. He was never one of us. He was never a true Republican." It will happen again. Watch.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times
Quote:
I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end.

3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.

8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.
Same here! I agree with the above points, and those are the two worst aspects of today's GOP. I'm a lifelong Republican, huge fan of Reagan, but NO WAY can I give my support to the GOP of today. In fact, I recently changed my party affiliation on my voter's registration. I'm no longer listed as a Republican.

The very fact that so many Republican voters were willing to give their support to Rick Santorum (of all people) last year only shows how delusional the Republican party as a whole is. As if Santorum stood a chance in hell of actually winning the general election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies