Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times

Advertisements

Now that you don't have to register for any particular party in most states, I don't see why anyone would register Republican or Democrat.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:06 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Now that you don't have to register for any particular party in most states, I don't see why anyone would register Republican or Democrat.
Unless they live in a "closed primary" state.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They don't. But neither do the Dem's. If you are arguing that neither major party understand simple economics so from here on out I will support neither, then that I can buy.
Here is my contention with the GOP. They say that they plan on cutting taxes and slashing government...thats all good in theory but the second part of the equation typically doesn't work out and I personally wouldn't want it to work out. I enjoy government services...I like that my food is checked by an impartial service...I like that federal research dollars are allotted to companies for things that assist in the common good...I like that we provide insurance for the elderly....These things assist in the fabric of civilization that we know and are used to.

Sure the Democrats want to expand the government in various places but at least they know that it has to be paid for. The GOP grandstands on cutting taxes and government all the while growing the government at roughly the same pace. The Bush Tax Cuts added over a trillion to our national debt, alone!

Old 10-09-2013, 01:13 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
The GOP is great if your a white male making good money. They cater to you and make sure you are ok.

Anybdy else and its tough luck.

Look at who votes for the GOP. It's either poor whites with no education or rich whites.

All other whites, women, blacks, asians, hispanics, and everyone else goes heavy dem.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:17 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end. Since i'm a huge fan of lists I've decided to expound upon why I belive the party is a shell of it's former self.

1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.

2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.

3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.

4). Reaganomics is a joke.

5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.

6). The military really doesn't need to be this large.

7). It's blind aversion to scienfitic consensus.

8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.

9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.

10). They're war mongerers when their guy is in office...peacenics when the other guy is.

Other reasons exist but these are the primary ones that are leading to me taking off my bumper stickers and withdrawing my name from the GOP call lists. Enjoy your journey into mediocrity.
Hear, hear!!!

I was raised in a staunch Republican family, with aunts & uncles who went to the conventions, ran for local offices, even held soirees for dignitaries in their huge home. My cousins became lobbyists and lawyers and/or married them.

When I grew up I realized what elitist bullies they were and I began questioning many beliefs of the Republican party. I now vote under a Democrat card, but that doesn't mean I believe everything they believe.

I do know, however, that many of what you just wrote were all reasons I cannot stand many of my Republican acquaintances, who can't seem to go through life without blowing hot air about politics at everyone no matter what time of day or what type of event it is.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why do you find it so diificult to swallow when the absolute truth is pointed out? The GOP does not need a lecture, it would be a waste of time. You cannot alter the mind of people wit an anti-social condition/disease. The only thing they will understand is the azz whoopin' they will get at election time.
Huh. Apparently they don't even understand that. Witness the current debacle courtesy of the 2012 election losers.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:24 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end. Since i'm a huge fan of lists I've decided to expound upon why I belive the party is a shell of it's former self.
Not buying it. Here's why.
Quote:
1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.
  • Just because it is "the Law" is no reason not to oppose a it and attempt to repeal it if it is bad law, which it is. Not to mention that it is extremely unpopular; hardly anybody wanted it.
  • Throwing a "temper tantrum" is not what's been happening here, and a real conservative would understand that. It is not only our constitutional right to oppose bad law, and to advocate for repeal, it is the American system. It is how we do things in this country. We do not just sit idly by and let the government steamroller over us. We The People have a voice. We The People are the government.
  • The government shutdown was a consequence of Democrats refusing to negotiate in good faith, but instead, demanding, as a condition of passage, that changes to, or the funding of, ObamaCare not be part of any Continuing Resolution. They were willing to "shut down" government to get their way.
Quote:
2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.
Since the Democrats have failed to pass a budge (for how many years now?) we have been forced into this method of operation. Republicans have proposed other options.

Quote:
3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.
Blaming problems on "the religious wing" of the party is what liberals do. Most conservatives are people of faith. We are not the cause of this nations ills. Progressivism is.
Quote:
4). Reaganomics is a joke.
"Reaganomics", the economics of Milton Friedman, one of the greatest economists of our time, is not a "joke", and no conservative would make such a statement. Much of our economic woes are due to John Maynard Keynes' economic policies, which the Democrat Party subscribes to.

Quote:
5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.
How large should we allow it to grow? Dosen't make sense to live within your means?

Quote:
6). The military really doesn't need to be this large.
It is our military that keeps us safe; it protects our freedom, and it's strength as a deterrent to enemy attack is directly related to our having the most modern and sophisticated weapons, ships and planes that money and technology can buy. The current downsizing that is taking place under Barack Obama, weakens us, makes us vulnerable, and is pure folly. Our enemies are taking note.

Quote:
7). It's blind aversion to scienfitic consensus.
"Consensus" is not science, nor is it "scientific."

Quote:
8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.
I get it; you're gay.
Marriage is ordained by God. It is between a man and a woman. Get over it.
You are free to marry whomever you choose; just not someone of the same sex. Deal with it.

Quote:
9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.
Considering what Obama has done, what he has spent, and on what, this isn't an argument that is going to work for you.
Quote:
10). They're war mongerers when their guy is in office...peacenics when the other guy is.
Really? Assuming you're referring to Syria, I do not believe (nor do others) that it would be a good idea to begin assisting al-Qaeda, do you? Or do you not know (as John McCain does not know) that the rebels are al-Qaeda?

Quote:
Other reasons exist but these are the primary ones that are leading to me taking off my bumper stickers and withdrawing my name from the GOP call lists. Enjoy your journey into mediocrity.
You have never been a conservative, much less "libertarian leaning" You are a plant, probably an OFA volunteer, and an Obama supporter through and through.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, that is incorrect.

I'm a liberal and I believe that President Obama and his administration have done plenty wrong. I think most Obama supporters believe the same as I do.
Yes. I am not happy with a lot of what Obama has done either.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:27 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
#5. No they don't.

Read more: CBO projects dire debt level - The Hill's On The Money

Perhaps we don't really need uneducated half-assed conservatives in the caucus anyway.
Economic data doesn't support the GOP war cry's that debt over 90% inevitably leads to slower growth. The cost of financing our debt now is so remarkably low that we aren't seeing the doomsday scenarios that are often predicted by those on the ideological right. The caviot is that we are an autonomus currency producer...not under the thumb of a centralized currency issuer. Businesses are increasing their spending and our economy is recovering and expanding....all under the guidance of that commie Barack Obama

Economists See No Crisis With U.S. Debt as Economy Gains - Bloomberg

Old 10-09-2013, 01:32 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
The GOP is great if your a white male making good money. They cater to you and make sure you are ok.

Anybdy else and its tough luck.

Look at who votes for the GOP. It's either poor whites with no education or rich whites.

All other whites, women, blacks, asians, hispanics, and everyone else goes heavy dem.
I beg to differ. I am white male and consider myself real independent (unlike the OP which is a joke). When considering the interests of this country, (not my personal) I often find myself siding with democrats. The recent government shutdown (yes, by republicans!) is a serious mistake and extremely bad for America, in the long run (the country most republicans claim to love and support). I also agree with other issues supported by democrats. But that doesn't mean republicans are always wrong. Not at all. Many times they have a point. One that needs to be heard. I was recently reading about pres Truman, Eisenhower and Gov Thomas Dewey. There were times (before wingnuts "occupied" both political parties), when people from opposing parties could talk, discuss and agree on many issues. Unfortunately, the young generation was never exposed to such reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies