Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end. Since i'm a huge fan of lists I've decided to expound upon why I belive the party is a shell of it's former self.

1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.

2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.

3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.

4). Reaganomics is a joke.

5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.

6). The military really doesn't need to be this large.

7). It's blind aversion to scienfitic consensus.

8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.

9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.

10). They're war mongerers when their guy is in office...peacenics when the other guy is.

Other reasons exist but these are the primary ones that are leading to me taking off my bumper stickers and withdrawing my name from the GOP call lists. Enjoy your journey into mediocrity.
Excellent and Congratulations! By acknowledging what many of us have long known about the hapless GOP, you have transformed yourself into someone who is among the most enlightened in this society. You have elevated yourself above the bigots, the narrow-minded, petty, modern day Confederacy that is the GOP. Going forward, you will lead a more fulfilling life. You will be free from fear, free from trying to related to right-wing Neanderthals, and free to enrich life and that of others who come from cultures different than your own.

Way to advance yourself.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 PM

742 posts, read 678,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Why do democrats feel the need to pretend to be GOP to make an argument? Pretty weak move. If it was such 'absolute truth', then why did the OP feel the need to lie about being in the GOP?

In case you missed it...

//www.city-data.com/forum/28202641-post1.html
Thanks for pointing it out.

OP why did you lie?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Excellent and Congratulations! By acknowledging what many of us have long known about the hapless GOP, you have transformed yourself into someone who is among the most enlightened in this society. You have elevated yourself above the bigots, the narrow-minded, petty, modern day Confederacy that is the GOP. Going forward, you will lead a more fulfilling life. You will be free from fear, free from trying to related to right-wing Neanderthals, and free to enrich life and that of others who come from cultures different than your own.

Way to advance yourself.
Excellent! Best purple prose that I have seen in a while.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Let us break down this grammatically sound "fluttering" you feel that you've erected.

-A small town in northern WV is the benefactor of a clean, renewable energy mass transit system that a major university built to service the city that it is lucky enough to be located in.

-The university in question receives large sums of money from both the state of WV and federal Departments of Education.

-The university used the money it received from the state and federal government to build a mass transit system.

-Therefore, for all intents and purposes the State and Federal government built a mass transit system to service a large university and a small city.

All that you've proven is that WVU attracted federal and state money, then they chose to use it on a clean energy mass transit system. I'm not sure how this flutters me...I think it's a great thing. Is this supposed to combat the fact that WV is a coal state? What argument are you even trying to make?
you are flustered. you don't even know up from down. you've stated that morgantown was not the largest city in WV. depends. it is when school is in session. you have claimed it was not a city. I proved that it is vastly more green than any cesspool you worship. also, do your homework sweetie. WV is no longer a coal state. it's a natural gas state. love how this wittle "former conservative" turned LWNJ knows so much about a state they've never been to. you tried to puff out your chest with pride, but I caved it in with truth.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No remarks yet about McCain complaining about the draw down of troops in Iraq?
Why is it hard to understand that my post was why I LEFT the GOP back around 2004? His beliefs today had no bearing on my decision back then!

I don't diminish that McCain has altered his stances (as I already illustrated in a previous post). My beef was with how Bush, who I feel is less than half the person McCain is, threw him under the bus in 2000. The neo-conservatives found Bush to be much more willing and adaptable to their brand of foreign policy and it showed in SPADES.

This is a tale of why a Buckley Conservative- (me, and yes- that is with a capital 'C') told the GOP to take a bloody hike until they'd like to get back on board with the program!

I have no earthly reason to comment on how McCain feels now- especially after his run at the WH and with Sarah 'darling' at the #2 spot. He f'd up and went to bed with the wrong people (like I also illustrated earlier). However I would give him a thumbs up if he spanked his old war hammer on Sarah's forehead a few times.

It seems you guys can't get enough of the fact that folks left the GOP for damned good reasons. Me- A white, 40-ish professional male left the party.. Who do you have now? Factions of bible-thumpers, anti-government and single issue/single minded voters. Not much of a block, but sure easy to get fired up on single issue matters!

The GOP has to woo back the center 'I' folks with non-social driven fiscal conservatives policies. Rand Paul was the closest, but frankly spooks 'C'onservatives with his cooky-ness on topics like the central bank etc..

Like I said- Buckley has rolled over in his grave. He spoke profoundly prior to his passing regarding the direction of the party and it should be taken quite seriously. He was bloody spot on with his predictions.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Every point you make only states that you never were what you claim to be. I have no idea why people think posting stuff like this makes any sort of valid point.

It's not believable. You have some valid positions, argue those positions, don't demean them with posts like this.
Ha. And that's exactly the attitude that turns people away from the Republican Party.

Party Identification

Old 10-10-2013, 04:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Why is it hard to understand that my post was why I LEFT the GOP back around 2004? His beliefs today had no bearing on my decision back then!
You are still going way out of your way to support and defend him now.

Quote:
I don't diminish that McCain has altered his stances (as I already illustrated in a previous post). My beef was with how Bush, who I feel is less than half the person McCain is, threw him under the bus in 2000. The neo-conservatives found Bush to be much more willing and adaptable to their brand of foreign policy and it showed in SPADES.
He hasn't altered his stance. He is for war, he has always been for war.

Quote:
This is a tale of why a Buckley Conservative- (me, and yes- that is with a capital 'C') told the GOP to take a bloody hike until they'd like to get back on board with the program!
There are good reasons for that but few are actually stating any of them. Bush was inept but McCain is dangerous.

Quote:
I have no earthly reason to comment on how McCain feels now- especially after his run at the WH and with Sarah 'darling' at the #2 spot. He f'd up and went to bed with the wrong people (like I also illustrated earlier). However I would give him a thumbs up if he spanked his old war hammer on Sarah's forehead a few times.

It seems you guys can't get enough of the fact that folks left the GOP for damned good reasons.
My beef is with poor, failed made up arguments. We see that was the case with the OP and you are totally unable to state why you thought so well of McCain. The reason is IMO you never did.

Quote:
Me- A white, 40-ish professional male left the party.. Who do you have now? Factions of bible-thumpers, anti-government and single issue/single minded voters. Not much of a block, but sure easy to get fired up on single issue matters!
Another failed argument. So many default to this. Just because I am calling out bad arguments doesn't mean I support anything. I am calling out poor arguments not defending a party

Quote:
The GOP has to woo back the center 'I' folks with non-social driven fiscal conservatives policies. Rand Paul was the closest, but frankly spooks 'C'onservatives with his cooky-ness on topics like the central bank etc..

Like I said- Buckley has rolled over in his grave. He spoke profoundly prior to his passing regarding the direction of the party and it should be taken quite seriously. He was bloody spot on with his predictions.
Here again is what seems to be the current talking points of the Dem party. When you see it in post after post you know it's coming from people with no thoughts of their own.

Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.

Buckley

Old 10-10-2013, 04:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ha. And that's exactly the attitude that turns people away from the Republican Party.

Party Identification
I was right. The OP wasn't who he claimed to be. Again, mine was not a defense of the party but rather an attack on non thinking B.S. arguments.

If you can't do better to defend your positions than to completely make things up you shouldn't bother as all you do is hurt your cause. The OP didn't accomplish anything here other than to show that they can not think for themselves and come up with decent arguments.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.

2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.

9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.

IMO The above three points are the Top-3 reasons for dissatisfaction toward the GOP.
And #4 is their eagerness to destabilize the economy to win political pissing matches.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
You absolutely SHOULD leave the Republican Party and kick them to the curb. They are, as you say, off the rails and move further and further into irrelevance and lunacy.

But PLEASE do not make the mistake of leaving the GOP just to join up with the Democrats.

They are really no better.

We need to stop voting all Dems AND Repubs into national office. We are only screwing ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies