Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013
I think it's interesting that adherents of the Tea Party, which has only existed for 4 years, now seem to think that they, and only they, are the arbiters of true conservatism -- which leaves many lifelong moderate Republicans out in the cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When did Occupy start? Where are they? Oh yea, that's right. They started a business called the Occupy Money Cooperative (OMC) began raising money to create a prepaid debit card. Seems that they have no problem with capitalism when it's them making the money.

Occupy Wall Street Getting Its Own Debit Card - Business Insider

The tea party rose in response to Obama's politics of big government and huge spending. The Obama administration tried to silence the tea party but the IRS was not able to finish the job. The tea party is still around.
This post has has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the post your responded to. I think you just set a record for irrelevancy.

I wonder if any cons will actually respond to pch1013's point?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....but I'm leaving the party because it has gone off the deep end. Since i'm a huge fan of lists I've decided to expound upon why I belive the party is a shell of it's former self.

1). They're irrational. Obamacare is the law. Throwing a temper tantrum and shutting down the government (and yes, basically everyone blames the GOP) is a terrible idea. Just suck it up...meet with the Democrats...agree to fund the law...fund the government...move on.

2). Using political theatre for these debt ceiling talks every few months is a joke and irresponsible.

3). The religious wing of the party is absurdly annoying.

4). Reaganomics is a joke.

5). The deficit isn't THAT big of a deal right now...All CBO estimates show that our debts/deficits are sustainable.

6). The military really doesn't need to be this large.

7). It's blind aversion to scienfitic consensus.

8). Gay marriage is GOING to be the law of the land one day in the very near future. Get over it. If you aren't gay...don't marry someone of the same sex.

9). They're wildly hypocritical. The party of fiscal restraint....really? See GWB budget 2001-2008.

10). They're war mongerers when their guy is in office...peacenics when the other guy is.

Other reasons exist but these are the primary ones that are leading to me taking off my bumper stickers and withdrawing my name from the GOP call lists. Enjoy your journey into mediocrity.
Don't let the door hit'ya where the bad dog bit'ya.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
congrats...

it will take people like you to actually change the depraved devolution of the Republicans. they have to realize there are political costs of their nihilism.

too bad that so many repugs are repugs mainly because of hate (you know of blacks (thugs and welfare queens), hispanics (illegals with calves the size of cantelopes), gays, women (who choose to take charge of their healthcare), etc) which allows them to wholly subscribe to bumper sticker slogans that really have no specific meaning.
Says the bumper sticker.

Wow, pot meet kettle.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
Just because a list item is a "talking point" of Dems doesn't mean it doesn't have validity.

Do you want Dems to dismiss everything we say as "right wing talking points," refusing to actually consider that there is truth in there?

And who the heck do you folks think you are, telling us that we aren't real Republicans because we can see the flaws in the party? As I posted early on in this thread, being fiscally conservative and wanting to shrink the behemoth is plenty to define a conservative by.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:13 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
The OP was GOP? Odd given some of the posting history.

//www.city-data.com/forum/28202641-post1.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
What made you lean whichever direction you do?

I'll start....I'm very liberal on most issues with exception to environmental regulations. I grew up in southwest virginia in Appalachian coal country. My grandparents, great grandparents and parents were/are involved in coal. The UMWA was very influential in shaping safer work environments for my family members. Coal is such an integral part of the economy in Appalachia and strict environmental regulations are detrimental to their employment. I consider myself very much a labor democrat.

What shapes your beliefs?
Psst..."labor democrat" usually isn't a big GOP member demographic.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
After WWII we had no SS or Medicare unfunded liabilities and we actually had manufacturing jobs. The Reagan era debts helped win the Cold War. The collapse of the USSR gave us a period of peace and prosperity until one day in september of '01.
Actually, Social Security started in 1936, though it's true that not very many people were collecting it at the beginning -- most didn't live long enough.

And yes, the US has plenty of manufacturing jobs back in the 1950s. Well-paid, unionized jobs. Obviously we can't have those anymore.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Don't let the door hit'ya where the bad dog bit'ya.
After the 2012 shellacking the GOP sustained they vowed to start opening the party up and reaching out to those who felt disenfranchised by the extremists. It was all talk. Instead, we see them narrowing and narrowing and narrowing the scope of what is a "real" Republican. This post is a great example of a party who seems determined to exterminate themselves.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
[quote=wnewberry22;31738616]I've been either a conservative or a libertarian leaning conservative my entire life.....

LOL, on which day last week do you think we were all born?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When did Occupy start? Where are they? Oh yea, that's right. They started a business called the Occupy Money Cooperative (OMC) began raising money to create a prepaid debit card. Seems that they have no problem with capitalism when it's them making the money.

Occupy Wall Street Getting Its Own Debit Card - Business Insider
Do they intend to make a profit with this venture?

I thought not.

Therefore, your comparison is completely and utterly bogus (in addition to being completely and utterly irrelevant to this thread).

Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Just because a list item is a "talking point" of Dems doesn't mean it doesn't have validity.
The "talking points" weren't questioned. The persons claim was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies