Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:49 PM

408 posts, read 393,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you believe a woman has the right to abort a 30 week pregnancy, can you explain to me why you would believe it's not a human and a 10-week early preemie is?
As far as I'm concerned, the point at which a fetus becomes a 'person' is when it's detached from the mother. Until then, the fetus is not an individual so far as I'm concerned.

And to respond to your question, the preemie's in your example has been detached. The 30-week fetus hasn't.

All that said, if a woman chooses to carry to term, that's her choice and her business and she can seek advice and counsel from whoever she pleases -- but nobody has the right or authority to tell her what to do or direct her choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 02:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Abortion and euthanization aren't the same thing. It's unfair of you to conflate the two. If my 5-year old child was hit by a truck, was brain-dead and machines were breathing and circulating blood through his body, I would want him taken off of the machines. Your scenario is unrealistic. The law doesn't allow a parent to euthanize a child who is disfigured and quadriplegic. And no one on this thread is arguing that the law should be changed.
Specifically explain to me how an abortion at 36 weeks and euthanizing a preemie born 4 weeks early are different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
36 weeks is about a 8 month old pregnancy? who aborts at 36 weeks unless the life of the mother or the fetus is serverly deformed?

there is no abortion on demand in the thrid trimmester [24 weeks].

dont get hung up on non exsitant hypotheticals.
Specifically tell me the difference between a 23 week gestational baby and a 36 week one?

Here is the story of a baby born at 23 weeks - Our little miracle: Baby born at just 23 weeks and given just a 1% chance of survival defies doctors' expectations to live | Mail Online

Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
36 weeks is about a 8 month old pregnancy? who aborts at 36 weeks unless the life of the mother or the fetus is serverly deformed?

there is no abortion on demand in the thrid trimmester [24 weeks].

dont get hung up on non exsitant hypotheticals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the point at which a fetus becomes a 'person' is when it's detached from the mother. Until then, the fetus is not an individual so far as I'm concerned.
Thank you for illustrating a point for me Tuna.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
I'm just going to try to summarize how I feel so people can better understand my stance.

I am 100% certain that when a pregnancy reaches 21 weeks, the fetus is a baby, a person. I come to this conclusion that babies born this early do survive. I also feel that prior to that, they are humans that can feel pain and have emotions; however, I do not know at what point they go from being a clump of cells (which they are up to a point) to a human.

Since I place value on human life, I don't feel that somebody should be allowed to kill a human without there being circumstances that warrant it. In terms of a pregnancy, I feel that aborting a late term baby is only acceptable in situations where the mother's life is in actual jeopardy and when a severe issue such as an anencephalic condition is discovered.

Somewhere there is that line between cells and a human, and I'd rather the law error on the conservative side (not as in liberal/conservative - for any dingbats out there) as to protect a human life, even one still in the womb. At this point, I feel that in the first trimester it's still a "clump of cells"; therefore, I do not oppose elective abortion at that point. If I'm ever shown evidence that strongly suggests it's earlier or later than that, I would reconsider the point at which I felt elective abortions should be legal.

I personally see no difference between a 23 week gestational baby, a 4 week premature baby in the NICU and a 3 week old baby at someone's home in their nursery other than physical development. Because of this, you'll never successfully argue to me that there is a just reason to abort a 23 week gestational baby because it would be like saying there is a reason to euthanize a baby that has been home for 3 weeks.

If you believe a woman has the right to abort a 30 week pregnancy, can you explain to me why you would believe it's not a human and a 10-week early preemie is?
I believe a woman has the right to abort a 30-week pregnancy when she and her doctor consider it medically necessary. If a woman has carried a baby for 30 weeks, she's not aborting on a whim. Women don't have abortions on a whim. Whatever the right-to-life proponents have told you. The choice to abort or to continue with a pregnancy is a heartrending choice for the vast majority of women. You have no idea what's going on in someone's mind or heart, even women who seem cool and casual about abortion are often destroyed on the inside.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you for illustrating a point for me Tuna.
I'm sure you think I did, but I'm also sure that I didn't illustrate the point you wanted illustrated.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Well, good for them. I'm sincerely happy for them.

Here's the problem. You look at overcoming the 1% odds and apparently want others to follow suit. But what you're not considering is the pain, expense and trouble you'd put others through *just* to appease your own opinion of what they should be doing. *Most* feti in that situation would die, even if brought to term; the 1% chance isn't fictional. If the fetus was brought to term and lived, well, we knew going into it that the fetus had a *remote* chance at making it. Yet I think you would *demand* that others take the same risk, regardless of the chance of success or failure. I think you'd want them to take that 99% chance of failure, just to make yourself feel better.

And who are you that others should do as you want?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I believe a woman has the right to abort a 30-week pregnancy when she and her doctor consider it medically necessary.
So do I, which is specifically why I've used the word "elective" many times. When a doctor considers it a medical necessity, it is no longer elective.

Quote:
I'm sure you think I did, but I'm also sure that I didn't illustrate the point you wanted illustrated.
No, you did an excellent job, and I will award you a gold medal in the backstroke.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Well, good for them. I'm sincerely happy for them.

Here's the problem. You look at overcoming the 1% odds and apparently want others to follow suit. But what you're not considering is the pain, expense and trouble you'd put others through *just* to appease your own opinion of what they should be doing. *Most* feti in that situation would die, even if brought to term; the 1% chance isn't fictional. If the fetus was brought to term and lived, well, we knew going into it that the fetus had a *remote* chance at making it. Yet I think you would *demand* that others take the same risk, regardless of the chance of success or failure. I think you'd want them to take that 99% chance of failure, just to make yourself feel better.

And who are you that others should do as you want?
Of course you feel this way; afterall,
Quote:
I think that the vast majority of women at 36 weeks in their pregnancy and feels the kick of their baby would feel that their baby is an individual at that point.

Personally, I characterize you the same as I characterize the small group (as a percentage of the whole) who believe it's an individual person upon conception. You'll never be able to reason with them.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Specifically explain to me how an abortion at 36 weeks and euthanizing a preemie born 4 weeks early are different?

Specifically tell me the difference between a 23 week gestational baby and a 36 week one?

Here is the story of a baby born at 23 weeks - Our little miracle: Baby born at just 23 weeks and given just a 1% chance of survival defies doctors' expectations to live | Mail Online
are you kidding me?

You dont know human gestation? a fetus is less viable at 23 weeks than 36 weeks. A 36 week old fetus is almost fully formed and almost ready for birth. Viablility. survival out of the womb. Devolpment.

there is no hard rule of viablity, the fetus is more vialble at 23 weeks than 20 weeks and more viable at 36.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Do you believe that a parent whose 5-year-old is disfigured and a quadriplegic should be allowed to have that child euthanized? If not, are you willing to adopt that child?
Absolutely not. That being said, do I think that parent should have the right to abort that child? Yes.
You, on the other hand, seem to be against abortion, so I ask you again....would YOU take my severely disabled child once I give birth to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies