Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 11:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
how about a gamma ray burst that destroyed 90% of all life on th eplanet about 450 million years ago. or how about the asteroid that took out the dinosaurs about 65 million years ago. or how about the planetary collision not long after earth mark 1 was formed that completely destroyed the newly forming eco system, but the end result was the creation of our moon. you really do need an education dont you?

ps how about the run away snow ball effect 700 million years ago? there are plenty of things this planet has endured in its lifetime.
No point in trying to explain things like this to these folks. All they see is it's hotter today then yesterday so the world is ending. Pure insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 11:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why is it that you need to insult people
and by the way, its no insult when i suggest that you need an education, just an observation. a lot of people need an education due to things they dont know. in fact we ALL need an education, i learn things everyday on a variety of subjects, and i have for 54 years now.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No point in trying to explain things like this to these folks. All they see is it's hotter today then yesterday so the world is ending. Pure insanity.
there are some that are seeing the light, on both sides. breaking down indoctrination is a slow process, but it happens, and at some point someone will see the light, realize its not a train coming at them, and move on to real enlightenment. besides hope springs eternal.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
no proof? really? sorry its all there in the geological record. there are many layers of iridium around the world that tells us of meteor and asteroid impacts. and yes iridium only comes from meteor impacts. and at the 65 million year boundary layer there is a layer of iridium that indicated a meteor impact. not to mention that the FOUND the meteor crater off the yucatan peninsula. as i said, there is plenty of evidence around the world if you are willing to look for it, or read up on it.
But this really means nothing as to what is going on today. You are just trying to justify that man has nothing to do with our environment.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
and by the way, its no insult when i suggest that you need an education, just an observation. a lot of people need an education due to things they dont know. in fact we ALL need an education, i learn things everyday on a variety of subjects, and i have for 54 years now.
Yes, it was an insult. Btw, my brother in law was a paleontologist. So I know all to well about dinosaurs and their so called demise. It's speculation.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Have you ever heard of that asteroid thing that hit the earth long before man was even around? I guess not. I'm sure it's Bush's fault in your eyes. The earth is still here though. lol
So an asteroid hit the earth, so what. I'm sure it will happen again. It is outside forces. And where have I ever mentioned Bush??? Your denial that man has no effect on earth is just astonishing to me.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
But this really means nothing as to what is going on today. You are just trying to justify that man has nothing to do with our environment.
there you go again, misrepresenting what i have said. i didnt say has nothing to do with out environment, i said man has a SMALL effect on our environment in regards to climate change, get a clue. what i am trying to point out is that for the last 2 million years we have gone through a natural cycle of glaciation, and lack of glaciation periods. they were ALL natural, or do you believe that man had something to do with them also? i have pointed out that interglacial periods last about 125,000 years, and that we are just out of the last major ice age by only 15,000 years. and in each interglacial period the planet warmed up naturally, granted there were short periods of minor ice ages, rather just like we have had in the last 15,000 years. i have also pointed out that while there is much that we do know about our climate, there is so much more that we DONT know, and that is the problem. when we dont know something, either how it works or what effect things we do will have, dont you think it is best that we move slowly? perhaps instead of making huge changes all at once, that we begin small and see what happens? remember "fools rush in where angels fear to tread". what happens if we do something that according to the climate models would make things better, actually makes things worse?

is that what you tell your kids? yeah go ahead and do something that we all know might get you hurt badly, we dont mind. this is exactly what you are suggesting with what to do with the climate. lets just rush in and do something despite the fact that we dont know what will happen because we dont have the whole picture.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 PM

33,539 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
and my opinion is that this is no different from earlier warming cycles. there is no definitive evidence, despite what your "scientists" claim. they just don have enough proof to make the claim that this is not much more than a normal warming cycle. they talk about CO2 emissions, and when that is debunked by a n umber of other scientists, they make other claims, the sun isnt doing, just because it is in fact hotter, but the solar cycles are down, and so while mars is warming its natural, but since the earth is warming its man caused. is that about right? somehow the laws of physics no longer apply to the earth? and how about the fact that the magnetic field of the earth is getting ready to change. the last time it happened the earth had a warming period. hmm coincidence? i think not. the earth is just out of its last major ice age by 15,000 years or so. but that cant have anything to do with this warming period, obviously man caused the ice age to end right? as i recall the interval between ice ages for the last 2 million years was something like 125,000 years or so, give or take a millennium or two, so given that bit of evidence, perhaps the warmers are jumping the gun a bit?

as i keep saying, there is FAR more to climate change than CO2 emissions. the people on one side only look at a small piece of the puzzle, same with the people on the other side, but no one is looking at the whole picture, and there in lies the problem. granted we know a lot, and that is dangerous, because we dont know enough. and until we do we have to be very careful with what we do as we may end up doing more harm than good.
Oh, but there is a difference, a big difference...In the past there were various natural events that changed the climate, but those factors are not present today. That leaves man's activities as the only major force influencing the climate...

Contrary to what you stated, climatologist look at ALL factors effecting our climate...How do you think we got that information in the first place? You say that there are scientists that refute the effect that CO2 has on the climate, but the vast majority (97%) say that it is the primary cause today.

There is no evidence that Mars is warming regardless of what your favorite denier sites tell you, and the sun is NOT hotter, in fact it is on a cooling cycle.

I have no idea how you think a pole shift would cause warming, in fact it is just the opposite.. The North Pole has shifted east because of ice sheet loss caused by rising temperatures. If you meant pole reversal you are still wrong.

As to the ice ages...For more than a century scientists have known that Earth’s ice ages are caused by the wobbling of the planet’s orbit, which changes its orientation to the sun and affects the amount of sunlight reaching higher latitudes, particularly the polar regions. Changes in Earth’s orbit today are not an important factor in the rapid warming that has been observed recently. Earth orbit changes were key to Antarctic warming that ended last ice age | UW Today

Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
So an asteroid hit the earth, so what. I'm sure it will happen again. It is outside forces. And where have I ever mentioned Bush??? Your denial that man has no effect on earth is just astonishing to me.
your assumption that man is a thermostat that can control the temperature of earth is astonishing to me.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, it was an insult. Btw, my brother in law was a paleontologist. So I know all to well about dinosaurs and their so called demise. It's speculation.
alright you see it as an insult, fine what ever. there i apologize for insulting you despite the fact that i told you the truth. and how long has your brother been a paleontologist? because there are plenty of them around that have gotten together with geologists to go out and find the evidence of the dinosaurs demise. and yes i know all the theories, including a second asteroid strike about 300,000 years later, and i also know that the dinosaurs didnt die off immediately either, but the asteroid strike was the trigger event that caused their demise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies