Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

The furloughed government workers flock to the unemployment office, but should they receive benefits now that GOP has promised to pay them for the work they missed?

I don't think so.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The furloughed government workers flock to the unemployment office, but should they receive benefits now that GOP has promised to pay them for the work they missed?

I don't think so.

Hmm. I was on furlough. I have not heard of any people in my office (40 or so) that applied for unemployment benefits. Where did you hear of this flock of Federal employees?

Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:

I don't think so.
If they receive retroactive pay they are required to repay any unemployment benefits they receive. This has already been addressed by the respective states. If you need an example look on Virginia's unemployment site.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If they receive retroactive pay they are required to repay any unemployment benefits they receive. This has already been addressed by the respective states. If you need an example look on Virginia's unemployment site.
OK. I believe it. I just wondered how that should work. How do they keep track of it?

Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
OK. I believe it. I just wondered how that should work. How do they keep track of it?
Virginia has furloughed government employees mailing their paperwork to one particular office so that might be part of it. But regardless, they have to identify the former employer and reason for unemployment when applying and this is the age of computers that can sort data quite nicely.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 AM

19,762 posts, read 22,666,896 times
It's not hard to catch based on the fact all employers are required to report wage and earnings, the vast majority being done so electronically.

And to my knowledge there has been no Congressional approval to pay back pay, so yes- furloughed employees are eligible to receive unemployment.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It's not hard to catch based on the fact all employers are required to report wage and earnings, the vast majority being done so electronically.

And to my knowledge there has been no Congressional approval to pay back pay, so yes- furloughed employees are eligible to receive unemployment.
You report the annual earnings, which would make it impossible to check if they got back-paid for few furlough weeks.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Should Govt workers qualify for unemployment?

Yes, as soon as possible.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:40 AM

19,762 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
You report the annual earnings, which would make it impossible to check if they got back-paid for few furlough weeks.
I don't think that is the case here in Montana

Quote:
How Do I view an account's Quarterly Wage Report History?

You must have been granted access to view Quarterly Wage Report History by the account's Access Rights Administrator.

After logging into UI4Employers through ePass, select Access an Existing UI Employer Account.
Select the employer account number you wish to view.
Select Quarterly Wage Report History (View Only).
The display will show the current Account Balance and the Number of Missing or Estimated Employer Quarterly Reports.
Select View Quarter Details to display a summary of Quarterly Report Information including Wages, Total Tax Rate, and Total Tax Charged.
Return to Table of Contents
How Do I view and print Benefits Charged to an Account?

You must have been granted access to View and Print Benefit Charges by the account's Access Rights Administrator.

After logging into UI4Employers through ePass, select Access an Existing UI Employer Account.
Select the employer account number you wish to view.
Select Benefit Charges (View & Print).
Select View available benefit charges if you wish to view all available charges or select the period(s) you wish to view.
Select View Selected Charges.
The display will show Claimant Name, Claimant SSN, Claim Date, Quarter Incurred, & Charge Amount. You may sort the charges by either Claimant Name or Claimant SSN.
Select Generate Benefit Charge Statement if you wish a hard copy of the benefit charges.
Any benefits paid are tracked and then I'd imagine they'd catch up on a quarterly filing. I think it's sufficient to say it'd be pretty tough to game this.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
You don't pay into it you don't qualify.

Obama wants the furloughed workers to take their ire out on the folks who caused it...Obama wants it to hurt. Oops! Obama just ordered an attack on himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies