Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:02 PM

11,340 posts, read 16,695,644 times

Advertisements

No real shock here. It almost seems all to common with a dem running a major city getting busted.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was sentenced Thursday to 28 years in prison for corruption, after a series of scandals destroyed his political career and helped steer a crisis-laden city even deeper into trouble.

Kilpatrick, who served as mayor from 2002 until fall 2008, fattened his bank account by tens of thousands of dollars, traveled the country in private planes and even strong-armed his campaign fundraiser for stacks of cash hidden in her bra, according to evidence at trial.

"I'm ready to go so the city can move on," Kilpatrick told the judge. "The people here are suffering, they're hurting. A great deal of that hurt I accept responsibility for."

Ex-Detroit mayor sentenced to 28 years in prison for corruption | Fox News

But don't worry about it, when it gets out of jail the people will welcome him back with open arms...just like Sharpe James of Newark, NJ. Guess you can't fix stupid.

Ex-Newark Mayor Sharpe James Gets Hero's Welcome Back Home | NBC New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
My state, Illinois, had the unique distinction of having two former Governors simultaneously serving time in federal prison. One was Republican and one a Democrat. I thought Illinois was the most corrupt state. I was surprised to learn Louisiana holds the #1 spot in terms of convictions. It got me to thinking that maybe Louisiana does a better jobs of detecting, prosecuting and convicting corrupt politian's than other states.

Corruption is one of the most non-partisan things going on in the U.S. We have hospitals and medical practices scamming Medicare and Medicaid. We have law firms, MDs and administrative judges scamming Social Security. Just about every municipality and school district everywhere have had undetected embezzlements. And then there's Congress in bed with the lobbyists and their donors.

Tax and insurance fraud are common crimes of the masses.

People hear this stuff and use it to rationalize their own corruption.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 10-10-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 03:17 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Damn, they slamdunked him. TWENTY EIGHT YEARS!! That sends a message but here's the problem, the next corrupt official will see that and think "Hell, I'm smarter than that. I'll never be caught.".

He does have purty eyes.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:18 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,555 times
Yet the people of Detroit loved him and kept re electing him. They got what they wanted; a rap star wearing gold chains for a mayor.

The local news channels were always following him around with undercover investigators when I lived near Detroit. High school buddies hired as his entourage, and family building McMansions on fat city payrolls, brand new SUVs given as gifts, flights and $200 champaign dinners at Puff Daddy's restaurant. It was constantly documented on the local news, and the people did not care.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:24 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My state, Illinois, had the unique distinction of having two former Governors simultaneously serving time in federal prison. One was Republican and one a Democrat. I thought Illinois was the most corrupt state. I was surprised to learn Louisiana holds the #1 spot in terms of convictions. It got me to thinking that maybe Louisiana goes a better jobs of detecting, prosecuting and convicting corrupt politian's than other states.

Corruption is one of the most non-partisan things going on in the U.S. We have hospitals and medical practices scamming Medicare and Medicaid. We have law firms, MDs and administrative judges scamming Social Security. Just about every municipality and school district everywhere have had undetected embezzlements. And then there's Congress in bed with the lobbyists and their donors.

I agree, it is rampant. Heck, even the secretary at my elementary school growing up, got busted when they found out she had been stealing milk money from little kids for years.

It seems that corruption is out of control nowadays. Churches, the local treasurers office, the police...It seems as tough there are people just waiting to get busted anywhere someone chooses to do an audit.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 PM

349 posts, read 260,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
No real shock here. It almost seems all to common with a dem running a major city getting busted.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was sentenced Thursday to 28 years in prison for corruption, after a series of scandals destroyed his political career and helped steer a crisis-laden city even deeper into trouble.

Kilpatrick, who served as mayor from 2002 until fall 2008, fattened his bank account by tens of thousands of dollars, traveled the country in private planes and even strong-armed his campaign fundraiser for stacks of cash hidden in her bra, according to evidence at trial.

"I'm ready to go so the city can move on," Kilpatrick told the judge. "The people here are suffering, they're hurting. A great deal of that hurt I accept responsibility for."

Ex-Detroit mayor sentenced to 28 years in prison for corruption | Fox News

But don't worry about it, when it gets out of jail the people will welcome him back with open arms...just like Sharpe James of Newark, NJ. Guess you can't fix stupid.

Ex-Newark Mayor Sharpe James Gets Hero's Welcome Back Home | NBC New York
Wow...it only takes one sentence to turn a valid post into an example of ignorance!!!!

Video Landing Page - Fox 2 News Headlines
For your viewing enjoyment...

Old 10-10-2013, 09:58 PM

45,210 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
My state, Illinois, had the unique distinction of having two former Governors simultaneously serving time in federal prison. One was Republican and one a Democrat. I thought Illinois was the most corrupt state. I was surprised to learn Louisiana holds the #1 spot in terms of convictions. It got me to thinking that maybe Louisiana does a better jobs of detecting, prosecuting and convicting corrupt politian's than other states.

And yet we see people irresponsibly clamoring for more government in our lives

Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,855,244 times
Quote:

Illinois does have some issues with politicians in prison.

My favorite IL story is Rita Crundwell, and her amazing ability to purchase 400 horses -- and those are real, live horses, not Barbie horses -- on a comptroller salary.

Fmr Dixon, IL Comptroller, Rita Crundwell, Sentenced to 19 1/2 Years In Prison - Forbes

I was pleased to see that she got nearly 20 years (not sure when she'll be out, but it likely won't be 2033).
What's amazing is the length of time these people were able to get away with their scams.

Where is the oversight?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:18 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
I see the usual liberals avoid this thread like the plague and will of course pretend like this never happened.............like usual. Just amazing. They are getting their own money stolen and don't care.............usually they don't care if others money is stolen. I guess they have sunk even lower.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:22 PM

29,811 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Good start locking up that filthy hip hop mayor. Now it's time to lock up the hip hop president
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies