Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I do not know of ONE college educated individual who believes in the tea party. Not one.
Ted Cruz has a JD from Harvard, Mike Lee has a JD from Brigham Young University, Ken Buck graduated from Princeton, Rand Paul graduated from Duke University as a MD, and Justin Amash has a JD and a degree in economics. Also, if you're so hung up on college education, I suppose you should like birthers, since college-educated people believe in that. Jerome Corsi has a PhD from Harvard.

I think you're suffering from credentialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 03:14 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,047,704 times
Thx OV. Nice to see in the good book(s), err papers, of our country. There is hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I actually agree with you for once - albeit not for the reason that you would think:
"Thus far I have considered the circumstances which point out the necessity of a well-constructed Senate only as they relate to the representatives of the people. To a people as little blinded by prejudice or corrupted by flattery as those whom I address, I shall not scruple to add, that such an institution may be sometimes necessary as a defense to the people against their own temporary errors and delusions. As the cool and deliberate sense of the community ought, in all governments, and actually will, in all free governments, ultimately prevail over the views of its rulers; so there are particular moments in public affairs when the people, stimulated by some irregular passion, or some illicit advantage, or misled by the artful misrepresentations of interested men, may call for measures which they themselves will afterwards be the most ready to lament and condemn. In these critical moments, how salutary will be the interference of some temperate and respectable body of citizens, in order to check the misguided career, and to suspend the blow meditated by the people against themselves, until reason, justice, and truth can regain their authority over the public mind? What bitter anguish would not the people of Athens have often escaped if their government had contained so provident a safeguard against the tyranny of their own passions? Popular liberty might then have escaped the indelible reproach of decreeing to the same citizens the hemlock on one day and statues on the next."
Federalist #63

(Both Madison and Hamilton have been credited with authorship)

Old 10-12-2013, 06:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,466,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Ted Cruz has a JD from Harvard, Mike Lee has a JD from Brigham Young University, Ken Buck graduated from Princeton, Rand Paul graduated from Duke University as a MD, and Justin Amash has a JD and a degree in economics. Also, if you're so hung up on college education, I suppose you should like birthers, since college-educated people believe in that. Jerome Corsi has a PhD from Harvard.

They ARE the tea party. I'm talking about real people in my real life. I can separate them into two clear factions. Non college graduates - tea party supporters. College grads - not so much.

This is just my experience.

Birthers are just insane ~ no matter how you slice it. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that way.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:27 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,083,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

Speaking of MIke Lee, Cruz's flunky...

The sad story of Cruz's sidekick, Mike Lee - Video on NBCNews.com

There are plenty of college grads that have zero common sense and college does nothing for the sociologically challenged.

There's also this...

Congress officially declared 'dumber' than years prior

Congress now speaks at almost a full grade level lower than it did just seven years ago, with the most conservative members of Congress speaking on average at the lowest grade level, according to a new Sunlight Foundation analysis of the Congressional Record using Capitol Words.

Is Congress getting dumber, or just more plainspoken? - Sunlight Foundation Blog

Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,780,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Speaking of MIke Lee, Cruz's flunky...

The sad story of Cruz's sidekick, Mike Lee - Video on NBCNews.com

There are plenty of college grads that have zero common sense and college does nothing for the sociologically challenged.

There's also this...

Congress officially declared 'dumber' than years prior

Congress now speaks at almost a full grade level lower than it did just seven years ago, with the most conservative members of Congress speaking on average at the lowest grade level, according to a new Sunlight Foundation analysis of the Congressional Record using Capitol Words.

Is Congress getting dumber, or just more plainspoken? - Sunlight Foundation Blog

We all are...

US adults are dumber than the average human | New York Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies