Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:25 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Greed is using the government to take money from others to give to you when you gave nothing of value in return.
The government takes money from me every two weeks in the form of federal taxes. It probably goes to people like you on welfare, SNAP and other government assistance.

Thank me later, I'm going to bed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
According to easily searchable data available, your statement is patently false. The most prosperous time in US history, the frequently cited "good ol' days" of the 1960s, the minimum wage was about $10 per hour, adjusting for inflation. Why wasn't unemployment in the double digits back then?
Explain how you defy math.

Raising the cost lowers the amount purchased. Period.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:59 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I get the feeling these guys are not Teapublicans. Good on them!
Methinks there is much more to this story.

Open since spring ...

$12/hr starting wage ...

$15/hr on 1 Oct ...

Hmmm ...

How many employees?
Who are the employees?
Who owns the company?
Do the employees actually take home the money (minus taxes) or are there "fees" to be deducted?

I wonder if this place will still be in business next spring if it is other than a completely family operation.

If it sounds too good to be true ... maybe it isn't true.

El Nox

Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The Burger Place Paying Entry-Level Workers $15 An Hour
For the record, although they don't pay starting employees as much, In-N-Out Burger pays well, too, at $10.50/hour.

[as a former employee, I'll say it was a great company to work for]

Old 10-10-2013, 10:35 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
One of the simplest and most fundamental economic principles is that people tend to buy more when the price is lower and less when the price is higher. Yet advocates of minimum wage laws seem to think that the government can raise the price of labor without reducing the amount of labor that will be hired.-Thomas Sowell
A quote from Thomas Sowell tells us nothing, just as you would not accept a premise based upon a quote from Paul Krugman. We need data and, unfortunately for you, the data indicates you are entirely wrong.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes good marketing tactic, hope it works out.
Personally I think there should be no such thing as minimum wage laws as it is a fact that they only create more unemployment.

There should be no such thing as exclusionary zoning laws as it is a fact they create more homelessness.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The reason places like conservative Utopias like Wal Mart pay little or nothing and keep most workers part time is because they have an army of bean counters working daily on how to increase their quarterly profits. Good old fashioned American greed hard at work, looking for ways to make more, more, more....

When you can tell minimum wage conservatives that the net worth of the Walton family is just not enough (after all, they are "job creators") then you can get poor white trash to argue in favor of tax breaks for billionaires and minimum wages for all.
where do oyu come up with this rubbish? first off walmart has what 1500 stores world wide? add to that sams club, distribution centers, etc. top that off with their efforts to sell product at the lowest prices possible, and you have conditions where by you need to pay lower pay rates than your competitors if you are to maintain profit margins. and remember that business is not there to provide jobs for anyone, they are there to make money, plain and simple. the large the business, the need for employees goes up, but that is a by product of good business strategies to grow the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Methinks there is much more to this story.

Open since spring ...

$12/hr starting wage ...

$15/hr on 1 Oct ...

Hmmm ...

How many employees?
Who are the employees?
Who owns the company?
Do the employees actually take home the money (minus taxes) or are there "fees" to be deducted?

I wonder if this place will still be in business next spring if it is other than a completely family operation.

If it sounds too good to be true ... maybe it isn't true.

El Nox
good post. one does wonder what their profit margins are right now. they are a young business, in the restaurant industry no less, so they have to get past the first year in business, as something like 90% of all restaurants fail in the first year. come back in 18 months and let us know how the business is doing. if i were their financial adviser i would be telling them not to expand right now.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
good for the owner of that business, i hope it works out for him. now the question is, how many employees does he actually have? and how many does he really need? if he is making money by paying his employees more, that is fine, what i object to is the government forcing businesses to pay employees at a certain minimum pay rate.
I agree with your point that the Government should not dictate what other companies should pay but what do you say about the government creating foreign economic policies detrimental to the majority of American's for the benefit of the top elite when they are the top donors of their campaigns?

Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I agree with your point that the Government should not dictate what other companies should pay but what do you say about the government creating foreign economic policies detrimental to the majority of American's for the benefit of the top elite when they are the top donors of their campaigns?
thats rubbish also. our government needs to get out of trying to push the economy in one direction or the other. they should be putting out proper regulation and oversight, and thats it.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:31 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Filed for later when restuarant eventually goes belly up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies