Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 01:03 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,316,724 times

Advertisements

I don't get what the big deal is. Any greeting is made from the heart. I say Merry Christmas to the people who I know are Christian but I really only say that on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I will also tell my Jewish friends Happy Chanukah during their holiday. The rest of December it's a nice greeting of Happy Holidays...after all I don't tell people Happy Valentine's Day from February 1st through the 14th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,924,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, it is almost that time of the year again. People working in departments stores are instructed to say “Happy Holidays” instead of "Merry Christmas."

Well, yeah, Christmas is a religious holiday, but these days many people that are from other religions celebrate Christmas as well more as a holiday since its a large tradition in this country.

I wonder do you feel pressured or obligated to say "Happy Holiday" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

I say what I want to say, and that is Merry Christmas, and if people don't like it oh well that is their problem. Deal with it. I don't feel obligated to anyone for anything.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:59 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,294,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I say what I want to say, and that is Merry Christmas, and if people don't like it oh well that is their problem. Deal with it. I don't feel obligated to anyone for anything.
Me too. It's Christmas after all. Happy Holiday is ridiculously sterile.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:01 PM

20,411 posts, read 12,318,768 times
no. i say happy Christmas and Merry New Year most of the time.

I have been known to send Hannika cards to people for their birthdays.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:05 PM

408 posts, read 392,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Me too. It's Christmas after all. Happy Holiday is ridiculously sterile.
Then I'll be wishing YOU a joyous Yuletide, Punkin.

Keep the Yule in Yuletide!!! - Imgur

Old 10-11-2013, 02:09 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,321,077 times
Quote:
Well, it is almost that time of the year again. People working in departments stores are instructed to say “Happy Holidays” instead of "Merry Christmas."

Well, yeah, Christmas is a religious holiday, but these days many people that are from other religions celebrate Christmas as well more as a holiday since its a large tradition in this country.

I wonder do you feel pressured or obligated to say "Happy Holiday" instead of "Merry Christmas"?
I have worked in customer service and in financing for most of my adult life and I have never been told what to say.

At any rate, I've used both. I'll say Merry Christmas, because I celebrate Christmas and I've always felt that in no way would I ever be offended if someone said to me Happy Chanukah, Kwanzaa, or anything else.
I've known plenty of people who don't celebrate Christmas and I haven't had one person get offended when I said it.

When I say Happy Holidays, it's not meant as a shot at Christmas, it's because there are a bunch of holidays around this time and it truly is the holiday season, so happy holidays.

All the talk about "War on Christmas" reminds me of a clip I saw on the Daily Show:

Jon Stewart was showing a clip from Bill O'reily's show where O'reily was talking some guest about this subject and Bill says something like "How can anyone be offended over the phrase Merry Christmas? It's just two little words that are meant to bring tidings of joy"

They cut back to Stewart, who commented that shockingly he agreed with Bill.

Then they cut back to Bill's guest who asked him "Do the words Happy Holidays offend you?"
And Bill, of course, said "Yes"

Old 10-11-2013, 02:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 10,577,287 times
If it's not Christmas, what holiday are we celebrating? The Holidays holiday? Ridiculous.

Only Christians are made to feel like we can't openly celebrate our religious holiday.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,784,265 times
I will say happy holidays if they don't celebrate Christmas and I don't know the specific holiday they celebrate during the holiday season.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:19 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,570,215 times
Default Do you feel obligated to say "happy holiday" instead of "Merry Christmas"

Quote:

The secret code of infidels (I shouldn't even be telling you this) requires that under no circumstances should we ever acknowledge Christm...

aarrgh!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,144,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
If it's not Christmas, what holiday are we celebrating? The Holidays holiday? Ridiculous.

Only Christians are made to feel like we can't openly celebrate our religious holiday.
Is anyone telling you that you can not say merry Christmas?
Nope.
So, please don't try to tell others what they have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies