Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 12:11 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times

Advertisements

PJTV - Go to the war on boys tape.

Christina Hoff Sommers, author of The War Against Boys, joins Glenn Reynolds to discuss the state of boyhood in America. Boys are underperforming in school, and worse, the left is discouraging schools from helping them. Is it time for a civil rights movement that helps young boys? Find out.

I'm glad this is being brought out.

Last edited by janelle144; 10-11-2013 at 12:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 12:15 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Here's a debate that author participated in addressing that very subject.

Men Are Finished- Intelligence Squared U.S. - YouTube

Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I wouldn't taint all femenists with what is really a fringe hate group.

I met a few women like that in college, definite psychological issues and in many cases I suspect they suffered some kind of abuse in their formative years and snapped.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I met a few women like that in college, definite psychological issues and in many cases I suspect they suffered some kind of abuse in their formative years and snapped.
Agreed. Kind of like abusing a Pit Bull; it'll probably be mean. Raise it well and you'd have a fine dog. Same with people as you said.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
PJTV - Go to the war on boys tape.

Christina Hoff Sommers, author of The War Against Boys, joins Glenn Reynolds to discuss the state of boyhood in America. Boys are underperforming in school, and worse, the left is discouraging schools from helping them. Is it time for a civil rights movement that helps young boys? Find out.

I'm glad this is being brought out.
Boys are doing worse in school now-a-days than in prior generations and this has been ongoing since probably the 1990s or a little earlier. But I don't blame feminism for it. As a mother, and a large majority of women are mothers, I do not see a "war on boys." I feel the educational system sought not to exclude girls and as such boys have just been getting the same education that they had been getting, which was not all that great it seems.

But I feel that the onus of educational action for any child should be on the parents. I have a son and I am more of a nut and worry about him more than my daughter. Girls by nature are usually much more mature, they can also pay attention better, while boys like to move and do things and just be active boys. This is not to say that girls aren't the same way, I have a daughter as well and she is a busy body and is also very active, but at her age my son was much more....raw so to speak and even now when I compare him to the girls in his school (we have a small school and I know all the girls in his grade) they are much more focused on their school work, they are especially neater. So in many ways I see boys as just a little bit more immature than girls. I also am a proponent of same sex schools as studies show that boys learn better when they are in an all boy environment versus co-ed due to them not acting silly to impress, gross out, or annoy girls lol. (The same thing is shown for girls BTW, that they learn better when in an all girl environment).

The primary factor I feel in the issues that boys face in school is the fact that our society now wants to feminize boys in a way and not let them do "boy" things or act like boys are not different from girls when they are. Society is trying to not have "defined gender roles" and even though in many ways I do think that is a good thing, when a boy wants to jump around and scream and yell and play rough with this little friends, it upsets me when people try to stop them from doing so, or try to steer them to play in a more feminine minded way. Even the whole "don't let boys play with toy guns" thing is ridiculous to me. It is as simple as "let boys be boys" and after letting them be so, don't get all crazy about the stuff they do and make a big deal of something that is not a big deal. The only issue I see in the school system is that boys are disciplined way too much, and since I am black and I have a son, I am always worried that someone will take something small my son does and make a big deal out of it so I am constantly telling him to mute himself when at school, especially before he went to the school he goes to now, I'm not as worried at his current school because they truly know and love my kid and know that he is a good kid. But my son sketches a lot for instance, he is a very talented artist but loves to make up comic books and his characters act out fighting scenes (boy stuff) and I had to tell him when he had one use a blade (like Wolverine, which is his favorite character in X-Men) that he shouldn't take it to school because someone might think he had a violent tendency or something. So little stupid things like that. Those things add up and cause boys not to be interested in school. I am having an issue with my son right now about science projects - he thinks they are too boring in school. They did an experiment on "water" and poured water into tubes and he thought it was dumb and boring. So since it is Halloween we will be doing another experiment with water and dry ice to make fog for our yard for the holiday and he is super geeked about that even though I have him researching about "what is dry ice" and how it will create the fog when mixed with warm water. So schools are just too boring for a lot of boys and take some things they say or do way too seriously IMO.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:57 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I understand, but there is an attitude that is now percolating down through our entire educational system about the evils of being a boy. This kind of a story is just another aspect of it - "Boy, 15, kills himself after 'facing expulsion and being put on sex offender registry' for streaking prank at high school football game"

Christian Adamek: Boy, 15, kills himself after 'facing expulsion and being put on sex offender registry' for STREAKING at high school football game | Mail Online

Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
What do people expect? Modern US culture portrays men as the idiots of society. Almost every commercial I see today has some man/husband being made a fool of by a woman/wife. Young men are going to start feeling like their place in society is the village idiot.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:08 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What do people expect? Modern US culture portrays men as the idiots of society. Almost every commercial I see today has some man/husband being made a fool of by a woman/wife. Young men are going to start feeling like their place in society is the village idiot.
ITA with this!!! I would be dorky and give you a hi-five IRL lol.

I face this same sort of attitude IRL with people I know in regards to my husband. Who I adore and we have a good marriage but sometimes I will relate a story about him to a close friend ( I only have one who I speak to) but they will say "well what do you expect, he is a man." As if men cannot do simple things based on having a penis. It is ridiculous. Most of my issues come with me having to ask him to do simple things, like make dinner when I'm not home and when he knows I'm not coming home. I'm like...um....he never asks me to make dinner on the days he isn't there, why would I have to ask them. Even his mom has told me I should ask him to do it. I think it is hilarious because if I stopped doing everything I do and not do anything until someone asks me to do it, nothing would get done.

Oddly enough, my husband complains all-the-time about commercials about men and how they show them as idiots. I personally think it is some sort of warped conditioning, which is why I severely limit TV watching in our home. Luckily my husband only watches it on weekends, mostly sporting events but they show a lot of stupid commercials during breaks of sports (along with all the ED and beer commercials lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies