Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:07 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,774,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So, you post a thread titled Most children in U.S. born out of wedlock.

But the actual link in your thread tells us this:

Is there any particular reason that you think '41%' constitutes 'most'?

Did you even read the article you linked?

Or was the reality just not dire enough to satisfy you, so you decided to jazz things up with false information?

Not that an out-of-wedlock birthrate isn't problematic - it certainly is - but can't you make that point without giving your thread a title that is not true?
The original post said most women UNDER 30 now have kids out of wedlock. The overall birthdate is 40%, but among women in their teens and 20s, the rate is higher.

Honestly I bet it's highest when you count women under 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Marriage alone does not create a stable relationship. Nor does it create a superior condition for child rearing.

Love, mutual respect and shared responsibility don't need a marriage certificate to create a long-lasting marriage; we all know couples who have lived lifelong as a couple and raised a bunch of well adjusted children who never bothered with a trip to the court house and/or the church, and they live lives that are identical to their married neighbors.

The only thing that's disgusting is your presumption the poor are automatically unfit for parentage.

In my experience, poor single parents often give their children even more love than the wealthy, especially when love is the only thing in their lives that they have in abundance. Wealth has caused as much unhappiness and dysfunction as poverty, that's for sure.
But that poster didn't say "stable relationship" etc. The question was how will the single parent feed the children --- and that's the whole problem.

I don't think too many people really care that much as long as the single mother doesn't end up living off welfare handouts the rest of her life -- but very very many do. It's one thing if the mother can actually support her fatherless children, certainly setting an example and teaching a work ethic is included in child rearing.

The rising number of single mothers has much to do with the skyrocketing welfare rates.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,588,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think one of the reasons that marriage has gone down in American SOCIETY, in general, is due to the changed role of women. The traditional role of the man was as provider and protector and society generally facilitated these roles by discrimination against women. Women were traditionally not to have jobs, but when they did, only certain type of jobs. This created a dependency on men and forced women to carry themselves and behave in a manner that would best secure a man who would provide for her.

Today most women do not need a man to provide for her, because they are more educated than in the past and most jobs are open to women more so than in the past. That is not to suggest that women are now free from employment discrimination, because that is not true. However, women today make enough money to take care of themselves, as well as their kids, if need be and those at the bottom of the economic ladder can get government assistance.

As a result of not NEEDING a man to be the provider.....many women do not carry themselves like they used to and men don't see them as "wife" material. Who wants to marry a women who slept with the football team? I know I am going to get jumped on for such a statement....but there is simply to much promiscuity, bedding on the first date, freaky stuff and the like going on with many women. No Thanks! I would not want to marry a women like that. All I would do with a women like that is hit it...and quit it.
If a child results from your act of "Hit it and quit it" .... you'd best support it.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,637,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But that poster didn't say "stable relationship" etc. The question was how will the single parent feed the children --- and that's the whole problem.

I don't think too many people really care that much as long as the single mother doesn't end up living off welfare handouts the rest of her life -- but very very many do. It's one thing if the mother can actually support her fatherless children, certainly setting an example and teaching a work ethic is included in child rearing.

The rising number of single mothers has much to do with the skyrocketing welfare rates.

Many two parent homes receive food stamp assistance.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:46 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,006,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Government programs have really taken their toll on the american family.
And Feminism. Feminists think of men more as an INCONVENIENCE.

So sad.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-11-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What is "legitimate" really? People can produce and raise children together, whether they are legally married or not... does that still bother you, just because they are "illegitimate?" Sheesh, how antiquated.
But that sure doesn't explain the huge rise in welfare dependency in the single mothers.

The government doesn't need to force marriage obviously but it's time to stop rewarding all this with overly generous handouts. The child has TWO parents whether the parents are married or not and the parents should be providing the financial support, not the taxpayers.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,997,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, they should.
Keeps them programed by the government for life.
You know, don't bite the hand that feeds you, so do what I say.
Haha, you seem to write some of the most ridiculous things. So should young parents live in crippling poverty? Would that satisfy your lust for poverty?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Many two parent homes receive food stamp assistance.

Many fewer two parent households are living on welfare handouts and food stamps than are the single mother households.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Haha, you seem to write some of the most ridiculous things. So should young parents live in crippling poverty? Would that satisfy your lust for poverty?
They should work.

The whole problem is that so many people have entirely lost a work ethic.

Having baby after baby shouldn't mean a life of never working.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:51 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,338,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Bull....There is NO guarantee a two parent household is always the key to success or education. The same as there is NO guarantee that a one parent household in every case is a key to failure, governement dependence and criminal behavior. I am a single parent, raised all three of my children in a urban area of NJ. My son just graduated for College, My daughter will graduate next year and my youngest is a Senior. All three earned acedemic scholarships to help pay for college along with the Students loans that I am helping them out with.
Being raised by a single parent does not make one any more accomplished than someone raised in a two family household.

Affirmative action, hard at work.
Way to instill pride, back in the victim mentality.
Must feel like a handicap to be treated special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies