Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:13 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,987,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I know quite a few parents who have postponed marriage for one reason or another. With the divorce rate so high, I think most of them just have cold feet. Anywho, none of my business. As long as they provide for their children, I don't care.
Odd reasoning on their part. They don't have cold feet when getting into bed and creating a child, yet somehow have cold feet for marriage, predicated on the possibility of a future failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 04:39 AM

408 posts, read 391,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Typically flawed liberal thinking.
A woman gets knocked up and either has to punish the unborn child (abortion) or punish taxpayers (welfare).
Since both are legal mechanisms in this country, I don't see what your problem is with them.

If you don't like those mechanisms, then work to change them. I suggest winning a bunch more elections.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:05 AM

29,177 posts, read 22,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
The original post said most women UNDER 30 now have kids out of wedlock. The overall birthdate is 40%, but among women in their teens and 20s, the rate is higher.

Honestly I bet it's highest when you count women under 25.
You insist on wading into ever deeper water.

The fact is younger women are waiting longer to have children, and the teen birth rate is steadily declining.
All women are bearing fewer children than before. The only age bracket where first time birth rates were up in 2009 is age 45.

All the 30 and under rates went down from 2 to 6 percent, with the 15-19 age bracket the largest percentage drop at 6%.

Surprising facts about birth in the United States | BabyCenter

Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,221,229 times
Right, after all, if married, you don't qualify for cash assistance, and section eight...duh! Just have the baby, lie and say you have no clue who the Daddy is...(might not be a lie..).. And your BF can move in to your subsidized housing, with his cash job...meanwhile you get WIC, Medicaid, EBT...if married, it ruins the whole plan.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:44 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,859,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Affirmative action, hard at work.
Way to instill pride, back in the victim mentality.
Must feel like a handicap to be treated special.
Wow, talk about a reply that had ZERO relation to what the poster you were replying to said. Major fail there BentBow, try reading the posts slower, maybe you will not come off looking foolish so often

Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,859,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Right, after all, if married, you don't qualify for cash assistance, and section eight...duh! Just have the baby, lie and say you have no clue who the Daddy is...(might not be a lie..).. And your BF can move in to your subsidized housing, with his cash job...meanwhile you get WIC, Medicaid, EBT...if married, it ruins the whole plan.
I am sure that does happen, sometimes, problem with your scenerio is that is Not the norm, if you believe otherwise maybe you can provide proof of it

Old 10-12-2013, 08:58 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,777,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You insist on wading into ever deeper water.

The fact is younger women are waiting longer to have children, and the teen birth rate is steadily declining.
All women are bearing fewer children than before. The only age bracket where first time birth rates were up in 2009 is age 45.

All the 30 and under rates went down from 2 to 6 percent, with the 15-19 age bracket the largest percentage drop at 6%.

Surprising facts about birth in the United States | BabyCenter
How am I wading into anything? LOL. All i did was clarify the OP's original post.

I know all of that you posted! I even alluded to it in one of my previous responses.

Women are having less babies than they used to, but more of them are born out of wedlock. I am aware.

Do you have me confused with another poster? I've been arguing all along that this has more to do with a lack of decent jobs for non college educated men than "irresponsibility".

Old 10-12-2013, 09:58 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,643,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
If a child results from your act of "Hit it and quit it" .... you'd best support it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant
I think one of the reasons that marriage has gone down in American SOCIETY, in general, is due to the changed role of women. The traditional role of the man was as provider and protector and society generally facilitated these roles by discrimination against women. Women were traditionally not to have jobs, but when they did, only certain type of jobs. This created a dependency on men and forced women to carry themselves and behave in a manner that would best secure a man who would provide for her.

Today most women do not need a man to provide for her, because they are more educated than in the past and most jobs are open to women more so than in the past. That is not to suggest that women are now free from employment discrimination, because that is not true. However, women today make enough money to take care of themselves, as well as their kids, if need be and those at the bottom of the economic ladder can get government assistance.

As a result of not NEEDING a man to be the provider.....many women do not carry themselves like they used to and men don't see them as "wife" material. Who wants to marry a women who slept with the football team? I know I am going to get jumped on for such a statement....but there is simply to much promiscuity, bedding on the first date, freaky stuff and the like going on with many women. No Thanks! I would not want to marry a women like that. All I would do with a women like that is hit it...and quit it.
I never went "skin to skin" with classy women like that. Getting them pregnant was the least of my immediate worries.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 AM

62,452 posts, read 28,699,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I know of at least one incident that you are speaking of. They didn't get married and the mother didn't admit who the father was because it would have disqualified her/them from all the government freebies.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,460,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why is marriage touted as the end all to be all?

I know plenty of married couples that can't make ends meet.
I think it's because the odds of single mothers ending up on welfare handouts is much higher.

I find it interesting how liberals will insist that it takes a village to raise a child will suddenly insist that a single mother can do it all on her own but they never believe that two parents raising a child can work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies