Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
We have created a society that makes it harder and harder for young people to start families.
I agree. Non-college educated young men can no longer easily find decent paying jobs. There are way less of these steady blue collar positions around than there used to be. So these men and their female counterparts don't get married as often these days, because the man is not in a position to play provider, or contribute financially. He's broke too. I think that kind of thing works on a young man's psyche, as well as a young woman's.

But they are still going to have sex, because that's what people in their late teens and 20s have been doing for centuries. And when the pregnancies inevitably happen, the women are a lot more likely to go it alone or the live with the man without marriage. You can crow about "waiting for marriage until you have kids" all you want, but the truth is these women have no reason to believe waiting will make their prospects any better. Where are all these men with great futures supposed to come from?

Because of birth control and access to abortion the rate of pregnancy is way lower than it used to be, so people are slowing down on how many babies they have. But they are less likely to get married when they do decide to bring the baby to full term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I have a kid. She is 2 and her father is out of the picture. Completely. His choice. I got pregnant, it was an accident and I owned up to it. I don't believe in abortions for ME so I didn't get one.

I am not white trash nor do I live off handouts. I am actually pretty driven and pursuing an education and a career in law. I want to be the best role model I can be for my daughter and someone she can look up to and hopefully she will make better decisions that the ones I have made.

I loathe these single mom stereotypes: the high school educated welfare queen with an EBT card and driving an Escalade. I hope you know not every single mother out there fits that bill.

Also I am seeing a lot of women bashing on here but have you forgotten about the other responsible party here? The father?

It takes 2 to tango.

For every single mother out there, there is a single father who more often than not is not in the picture and doesn't contribute financially... Who has chosen not to take care of his responsibilities. It's time some of you stop cutting them slack.
I so agree with you!

It is ridiculous to pain unwed moms with a broad stroke. I also contributed to OOW births but I was in a committed relationship with the father of my child for years and we are still together but married now, yet when you look at raw numbers for the year my oldest was born, they would assume I was a welfare mom with no job living off of food stamps and EBT payments.

It is just crazy. Everyone's individual circumstance is unique. Not all of these moms want to be unwed and not all of the kids re being raised totally without a father. Many of the men abandon their fiancée's many even their wives so marriage is not some sort of protection against financial woes.

I mentioned my brother and his wife above, they qualify for food stamps and WIC and live in subsidized housing even though they are married. On paper, I guess many would see them as a model for young people even though they receive "hand outs." Yet I was an unwed mom who made a decent income and received no assistance at all and I and the poster above would have been seen as contributing to the country's woes just because we weren't or aren't married.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:39 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Default Hey! This Didn't Start Yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
More than half of births to American women younger than 30 are outside marriage, research has found.
And across all ages, a staggering four in ten women are not married when they have children.

The data shows the fastest growth in the past 20 years is among white women in their 20s with some college education but no four-year degree.

Read more: Most children in U.S. born out of wedlock | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The reason why I put this is I saw another thread that claimed that 70% of black women have children out of wedlock. Yet the trend now in the USA is most babies whatever race they are is they they were born out of wedlock parents.
Now, these were very, very famous people, and later signed acting careers with none other than Fox Entertainment-Fox Studios. Plus, they were Caucasian!

Quote:
born Estelle Caro Eggleston in 1938 in Yazoo City, Mississippi,[N 1] the only child of Thomas Ellett Eggleston and his wife Estelle (née Caro).[1] One of her great-grandfathers was Henry Clay Tyler, an early settler from Boston and a jeweler who gave the Yazoo City courthouse cupola its clock.[8]

When Stevens was four years old, her parents moved to Memphis, Tennessee, where they lived on Carrington Road near Highland Street.[9] Her father was an insurance salesman, and her mother was a nurse.[8][9] Stevens attended St. Anne's Catholic School on Highland Street and Sacred Heart School on Jefferson Avenue, finishing her final year of high school in 1955 at the Memphis Evening School at Memphis Tech High School.[9][10]

At the age of 16, she married electrician Noble Herman Stephens on December 1, 1954, probably in Memphis. They had one child, Herman Andrew Stephens, who would later be known as actor/producer Andrew Stevens. He is Stella's only child. The couple divorced in 1957 but Stella and her son retained a variation of her ex-husband's surname as their own professional surnames.
Quote:
Born Lucille Wood Smith in Uvalde, Texas, she had a tumultuous early life. While still in infancy her name was changed to Frances Octavia Smith.[why?] At age 14, she eloped with her first husband, Thomas F. Fox. She bore one son, Thomas F. Fox, Jr., when she was 15. Divorced in 1929
Do you know who these people are?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Isn't it comforting to know that there are people out there so incredibly consumed by anger and hatred that they would like a public shaming of single mothers? Luckily I don't think there are very many people who truly think that way.
Very comforting, indeed. I think the number of people who long for the good ole days of the 1800s may surprise you. Back when women knew their place and gays stayed firmly in the closet.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Unbelievable. Well. Not really. Afterall, look who's in charge these days? The "work requirement" is not even in place anymore to receive assistance....thanks to you know who! No wonder we're headed down the tubes as a nation!

Read more: Most children in U.S. born out of wedlock | Mail Online [/LEFT]
The CATO Institute reported that since the work requirement was implemented in 1996, 80% of TANF recipients required to work were employed in jobs that were subsidized by some form of government. Although not the intent of their report, it made clear that there are not enough entry level jobs for the people who need them, unless some form of government subsidizes them.

At the time Obama took office, only 29% of TANF caseloads met the TANF work requirement.

Some states requested exemptions from the TANF work requirements and sought to reduce caseloads in other ways. The Obama Admin, in the depth of the Great Recession, granted waivers to those states who requested more flexibility. Ironically, many of those states are solid Republican.

The GOP/Romney Super Pacs ran endless ad campaigns on TV to persuade the masses that Obama had gutted the TANF Work requirement rules. Fact Checkers deemed it a fail.

Does Obama’s Plan ‘Gut Welfare Reform’?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:46 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I have a kid. She is 2 and her father is out of the picture. Completely. His choice. I got pregnant, it was an accident and I owned up to it. I don't believe in abortions for ME so I didn't get one.

I am not white trash nor do I live off handouts. I am actually pretty driven and pursuing an education and a career in law. I want to be the best role model I can be for my daughter and someone she can look up to and hopefully she will make better decisions that the ones I have made.

I loathe these single mom stereotypes: the high school educated welfare queen with an EBT card and driving an Escalade. I hope you know not every single mother out there fits that bill.

Also I am seeing a lot of women bashing on here but have you forgotten about the other responsible party here? The father?

It takes 2 to tango.

For every single mother out there, there is a single father who more often than not is not in the picture and doesn't contribute financially... Who has chosen not to take care of his responsibilities. It's time some of you stop cutting them slack.

im with you sister.

what do you say to the conservative males on here who would label you as a detriment to society, as some already have on here labeled single mothers that way?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
We have created a society that makes it harder and harder for young people to start families.
I don't necessarily disagree. But the question begs: Why have children if you can't afford them?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
It's the men who refuse to marry and thus condemn their children in most cases.

Too bad.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
All it takes to start a family is unprotected sex.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:52 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's the men who refuse to marry and thus condemn their children in most cases.

Too bad.
Source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies