Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:32 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times

Advertisements

Do you think schools and colleges should have ethnic studies programs or not? Do you think it's divisive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
yeah, they're divisive.

and useless.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
I have no problem with them.

Lehman College - Institute for Irish-American Studies

http://www.lsa.umich.edu/UMICH/modgr...eekStudies.pdf

http://armenianstudies.csufresno.edu/

http://sgas.org/

Old 10-11-2013, 10:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Yes I do think they should have them so that our youth will know more about various cultures inside this country and in other parts of the world.

In regards to American history, I feel they (ethnic studies like black, Hispanic/Latino/Chicano, Native American, Irish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Fillipino, and various other ethnic groups) should be wrapped up into American history since we all are a part of this country's history. I feel if this were done, ethnic studies would not be needed in general classes but should still be offered as an elective so that students would have an opportunity to delve more deeply into a particular ethnic group's contribution to our country or the world.

FWIW, I also support women's studies.

Funny that the first response would be so ignorant in thinking that learning of various ethnicities is "useless" it shows how important these studies are needed IMO as they are in no way "divisive." I thoroughly enjoyed learning about Irish history culture, literature, and struggles as a black student just as much as I enjoyed learning of black history, culture and struggles and I was surprised to learn via high school and college lecture courses how much in common all peoples in the world have in regards to political oppression, discriminatory practices based on ethnicity/race/gender, and the importance of commerce and expression shown in many different cultures around the world.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:45 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
If the class has students and they pay for the class...then it's relevant.

If you dont take the class, you dont need or want the information presented. simple as that.

I never took a bookkeeping/accounting class. the information was not needed for my course studies.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:45 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I don't care. It's up to the individual colleges and universities.

Like with anything, I'm sure the rigor, quality and value of such a degree varies from case to case.

Divisiveness would depend upon the individual actions on a school by school level.

There was a rape on my campus back in the day. So the womyns studies majors lead a big march\rally around the campus and SPECIFICALLY the frat houses chanting such gems as "cut it out or cut it off". When you have a group marching around pointing the finger at anybody with a penis over the actions of one predator. That's divisive.

The other gems I heard in college were:
-White people created HIV to kill blacks and if you disagree with me you are racist.
-If you and your gf have a drink and then sex, you raped her. (Yes, one drink and yes the blame would fall 100% on the guy)
-Blacks cannot be racist.

Just a couple things I remember from over 20 years ago.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't care. It's up to the individual colleges and universities.

Like with anything, I'm sure the rigor, quality and value of such a degree varies from case to case.

Divisiveness would depend upon the individual actions on a school by school level.

There was a rape on my campus back in the day. So the womyns studies majors lead a big march\rally around the campus and SPECIFICALLY the frat houses chanting such gems as "cut it out or cut it off". When you have a group marching around pointing the finger at anybody with a penis over the actions of one predator. That's divisive.

The other gems I heard in college were:
-White people created HIV to kill blacks and if you disagree with me you are racist.
-If you and your gf have a drink and then sex, you raped her. (Yes, one drink and yes the blame would fall 100% on the guy)
-Blacks cannot be racist.

Just a couple things I remember from over 20 years ago.
All of the examples you site are reasons why ethnic and women's studies are needed - to quell the ignorance and idiocy.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If the class has students and they pay for the class...then it's relevant.

If you dont take the class, you dont need or want the information presented. simple as that.

I never took a bookkeeping/accounting class. the information was not needed for my course studies.
I think all high schoolers should take bookkeeping and accounting. It helps learn about economics, something our country is sorely lacking. And FWIW, many smaller businesses need assistance with their bookkeeping. I took it and a general accounting course in college and when I was a SAHM, I took in extra work for some income doing bookkeeping for individual consultants for a fee. It is a skill that way too many lack.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Do you think schools and colleges should have ethnic studies programs or not? Do you think it's divisive?
Absolutely. People need to know America's heritage, and how very long ago that is wasn't as diverse or accepting as much as it is present time. That's not to say that all are accepting of diversity now, there are still a few Neanderthals running about.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
All of the examples you site are reasons why ethnic and women's studies are needed - to quell the ignorance and idiocy.
I'm confused because those comments were made to me by students in those disciplines. Granted, they would be the fringe and I don't want to portray them as every student in those types of programs.

I also don't see a lot of ignorant types that would benefit from those classes signing up for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies