Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:15 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The cheapest plan I saw was over $1k a month at my place... I can get a plan right now for $200 a month in the private insurance market... the people who are getting those plans have ZERO clue about shopping for a better deal... they are so used to getting money from the government they don't know how to look anywhere else...
BS. I know full well what it costs when you are self-employed and have no employer subsidized insurance. And I know I can get insurance through my state exchange for about $150 a month on the silver plan. The last plan I had, which I was forced to finally drop because it was just not affordable any more, was more than four times that amount, with a $5,000 deductible.

The brainwashed here may believe your crap, but it doesn't make it any less a load of crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 01:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
68,700 signups, out of a pool of 58,000,000 people in those two states in two weeks.......and I thought U2 360 Tour tickets sold out in a hurry.

I would expect NY to have an enormous number, as their rates will almost certainly fall through Obamacare due to the disaster that is the health insurance industry in NY.

But 1/10th of 1% for the two of the three biggest states in the country in 10 days? That's weak.
How many people in NY are uninsured? The pool isn't the total population. People who get theirs and their family's insurance through employers are unlikely to be interested in the ACA website. People who have current insurance they pay for themselves might be interested, but they might want to wait a while before checking out the options.

I don't know if NY's exchange allows people to purchase insurance that will be effective prior to January 1st, but I think most of the policies offered by the exchanges do not start until that date.

I'm not saying that the ACA website works well. It doesn't. It's a terrible website that needs some major overhauling. But this conservative talking point, that people aren't buying, is tripe. No one is offering a layaway plan, buy today and pay as you like for the next three months. The plans aren't in limited quantities, in danger of being sold-out if you don't buy today. The test isn't in how many have purchased insurance that starts January 1st during the first 10 days of October. The test is how many will have selected and applied for a specific policy by December 15th. And even then, to avoid the penalty, people will have several more months to decide.

There's no rush. Pointing out there's no rush is simply pointing out the obvious.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:17 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The cheapest plan I saw was over $1k a month at my place... I can get a plan right now for $200 a month in the private insurance market... the people who are getting those plans have ZERO clue about shopping for a better deal... they are so used to getting money from the government they don't know how to look anywhere else...
Are you sure? What state are you in and what coverage are you looking at? In Texas, through the exchange, there are family coverage plans ranging from $400/month (bronze) to $800/month(Gold) - before the tax credits.

You can now check out Exchange plan prices without applying here:
https://www.healthcare.gov/find-prem...estimationtool

Old 10-11-2013, 01:20 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Are you sure? What state are you in and what coverage are you looking at? In Texas, through the exchange, there are family coverage plans ranging from $400/month (bronze) to $800/month(Gold) - before the tax credits.

You can now check out Exchange plans without applying:
He will not respond because what he posted was BS. If I'm wrong about that, I challenge him to show us what state has no plan under $1,000 a month. My guess is that he is stating numbers before the subsidies are applied. In other words, he's lying.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
He will not respond because what he posted was BS. If I'm wrong about that, I challenge him to show us what state has no plan under $1,000 a month. My guess is that he is stating numbers before the subsidies are applied. In other words, he's lying.
Even before subsidies there are plans well under $1000/month. I can get a family plan for $400/month before subsidies.

Pre-tax credit costs of exchange plans are here:

Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
You can't dispute that, at the state level (and obviously the federal level), Republicans have been doing everything in their power to derail or delay any aspect of the ACA they can.
The ACA is a bad law. It originated in the Senate, which raises Constitutional problems under the "Origination Clause," those lawsuits working thier way through the courts. John Roberts added to the problem of "origination" when he changed the penalty to a tax, post facto. The Senate cannot originate tax bills (and the ACA also contained the "Medical Device Tax").

Further, some argue that the Senate cannot originate any spending bills (again, those challenges still working their way through the courts).

There is also the problem of whether or not the Constitution permits the Senate to completely replace the entire text of a House bill, as it did in order to pass the ACA, using a House bill that had nothing to do with insurance or health care at all (creating a separate issue to be argued; i.e., the meaning of "amend" in the Origination clause. Amendments to a document are for the purposes of "correcting errors" or to clarify, or to "make [something] better.

But, those things asside, it is simply bad law, and on that basis, Republicans have every right and reason to stop it in it's tracks. That is how our system was designed to work (It's called "checks and balances").

The fact that the ACA was passed (albeit fraudulently), and signed into law, is irrelevant.

Some argue that "since the Supreme Court let it stand" we should not try to stop it. Again, irrelevant, and there are still many challenges to the law still pending.

The congress can repeal any law it chooses, at any time.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Since California alone signed up 28,000 in the first week, I doubt Benson's figures were accurate at all.
But no matter. What happens in the first month isn't as important as what happens in the first year, and the first month had enough folks checking the exchanges and enough signing up to give an early indication that the law is going to be a big success.

Even a small success is better than the mess our medicine was in for so long before the law was passed. Just the passage of the law was enough to stop some of the practices that were trouble to us all, and things are only going to get better, now that the issue is settled.

By next year, a non-crazy Congress may even have enough data to start presenting modification bills that will make the law even better. When the Wrights designed the first airplane, their design was good, because the airplane flew. It took a while afterward to design a jet, though, just as it will take some time to refine the ACA up to it's full potential.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:30 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most of the states taking the hardest lines against ACA also have the highest percentages of uninsured.
Where do you find that information?

Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Yes, because im certain the media and hollywood will be rushing out to bash the Democrats

You should be blamed for the current debt, but youre not. You never got the proper blame for ignoring Fannie/Freddie warnings, even though we had video evidence of Democrat denials there was anything wrong.

So no, Im not confident you will get the all out blame you should get. Im certain you and the rest will find some reason or another, no matter how stupid, to blame others.

Feel sorry for yourself. You have clear mental issues. You are living proof liberalism is a mental disorder. Common sense, facts, history. It doesnt matter to you. You are that far gone. I really want to pity you except for the fact its people like you that have ruined this country and continue to push it in a disastrous direction. If liberals had the soap box way back when, we never wouldve had the Constitution. We wouldnt have started and become the beacon of freedom we have been.

Instead now, following liberalism and the establishment, we nearly will double our debt to almost $20 trillion by the time Obama leaves office. Government gets even bigger and has a further reach into our lives. And people like you are actually gleeful. Its sickening.
I think the mental illness does not lie with everyone else in the world. Your idea that every individual you disagree with is a "liberal" or "establishment" that is to blame for all the problems in the world and decisions of the others. Where guilt and punishment should be shared amongst everyone who disagrees with you.

That the entire world is divided between you, and the rest of the world that marches in lock step as a hive mind which are happily destroying the world. This is not a healthy mindset. Please get help from a professional. I am not trying to mock or degrade you in this, as when I have seen this previously it is a very serious sign.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:37 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Where do you find that information?
Link to the states with the highest number of uninsured:

Report: States with the worst health coverage

Map showing status of exchanges in each state:

State Exchange Map - The Commonwealth Fund

Of those on the top 5 list for having the highest number of uninsured, only Nevada is running its own exchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies