Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:11 AM

511 posts, read 799,806 times

Advertisements

Yep, I knew this was coming. The state of Iowa is seeking to force a Mennonite couple to host gay marriage ceremonies at their facilities. Otherwise, this is sexual discrimination.

Quote:

"They did so because their religion forbids them from personally planning, facilitating or hosting wedding ceremonies not between one man and one woman," the counter-lawsuit says.

The gallery is a bistro, floral and arts shop, and a wedding facility. Betty Odgaard told local media at the time that she would be willing to provide the couple with flowers or cake, but exchanging vows on their premises was off limits, according to the Christian News Network.

Mennonite couple files counter-lawsuit in fear of being forced to host same-sex weddings | Fox News

I looked up their business and the building was a former church. One of the arguments SSM supporters throw at me is that legalization of SSM will have absolutely no impact on the personal lives of Christians and we are still free to believe as we want. And churches can not be forced to conduct the ceremony.

Yet here is a couple with a building that was a former church and the state is telling them, yes you have to open your doors and allow this action to take place in your facility. This clearly tells me that Christians will be forced to allow gay marriages to be conducted at any church regardless of personal religious beliefs. There really isn't any difference because churches also charge to rent their facilities for weddings.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Good.

I very much agree with anti-discrimination in public accommodation laws. Rental facility businesses should not be allowed to discriminate against a person because he's gay or straight or black or Christian or Muslim, etc.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:31 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Once again, there is a difference between a BUSINESS and a CHURCH.
Businesses must follow all laws of the state they are doing business in.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,234,063 times
"I looked up their business and the building was a former church".

I believe former is the key word. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM

312 posts, read 494,548 times
What goes around comes around

If they had to host a marriage for a couple who had slept together prior to getting married would you be complaining about how Christianity forbids premarital sex? No? Why the double standard?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:38 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Yep, I knew this was coming. The state of Iowa is seeking to force a Mennonite couple to host gay marriage ceremonies at their facilities. Otherwise, this is sexual discrimination.

Mennonite couple files counter-lawsuit in fear of being forced to host same-sex weddings | Fox News

I looked up their business and the building was a former church. One of the arguments SSM supporters throw at me is that legalization of SSM will have absolutely no impact on the personal lives of Christians and we are still free to believe as we want. And churches can not be forced to conduct the ceremony.

Yet here is a couple with a building that was a former church and the state is telling them, yes you have to open your doors and allow this action to take place in your facility. This clearly tells me that Christians will be forced to allow gay marriages to be conducted at any church regardless of personal religious beliefs. There really isn't any difference because churches also charge to rent their facilities for weddings.
Evidently, you can't tell the difference between a church and a former church. One of these things is not like the other.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:39 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,234,063 times
It's just another Christian victim thread.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Once again, there is a difference between a BUSINESS and a CHURCH.
Businesses must follow all laws of the state they are doing business in.
Exactly.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Liberals would never do this to muslims.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:48 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Liberals would never do this to muslims.
Sure we would. It wouldn't make a lick of a difference if the owners of this rental facility were Muslim instead of Mennonite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies